Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: High cost Speaker wire, interconnectors and upgraded power cords?

I never said that and you might want to go to the Passlabs web site and inspect the rear loudspeaker connections they use.....

No modification necessary for the WBT spades. 8 mm size actually

One the 8 pole thing, well the speakon I used had provison for 6 conductors so it would handle the mid, high and UHF spectrum of the 4344 external crossovers I made for Porchedman some years ago.

If you search under 4343 modifications there are images.

We're watching you.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?6633-Discussion-Thread-JBL-4343-to-4344-upgrade&p=69854&viewfull=1#post69854
    If you do plan on an external network you will need to arrange a suitable means of cabling to the outside world. I used an 8 Pole Speakon Plug and Socket. There a several advantages with this style of connector, its air-tight, has very good electrical characertistics, takes a 13 gauge cable and the polarity of the individual driver cabling is identified and maintained without fear of error.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?6633-Discussion-Thread-JBL-4343-to-4344-upgrade&p=75219&viewfull=1#post75219
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?6633-Discussion-Thread-JBL-4343-to-4344-upgrade/page12

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?6633-Discussion-Thread-JBL-4343-to-4344-upgrade&p=76308&viewfull=1#post76308

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?6633-Discussion-Thread-JBL-4343-to-4344-upgrade&p=102142&viewfull=1#post102142

Sorry, couldn't resist....

We push electrons down many kinds of different conductors for a variety of reasons, wire is simply NOT just wire. Take a look at a Belden / Tensolite / ThermaxCDT / Vermillion or myriad other manufacturers catalog sometime. For example:

(1) MilStd-1553 (1 Mbit rates) databus uses 78ohm twisted pair (1553 is used to control avionic systems and used to be used to control London's "tube")
    (2) ARINC 429 (14 and 100k rates) uses 100ohm twisted pair (ARINC 429 "flew" that last airliner you were on)
    (3) Ethernet (10/100/1000 and 10G rates) use 100 ohm twisted pair (and each pair of CAT5 and 6 is twisted at a different rate and then all four pairs are spiraled for some very good reasons) (and remember 10Base2 used coax)
    (4) X-band (10GHz RF) radar uses waveguide (rectangular tubes) used for military search/surveillance radar by those fine folks that come and drag unfortunate (OK, sometimes stupid) boaters back home
    (5) We just spent a week tracking a EMI problem down in a system that was caused by noise from an unsheilded gigabit Ethernet system (really four parallel paths each running at 250MB) that was killing another system which just happens to run right at, (you guessed it) 250MHz....
    (6) SMPTE170 (NTSC) and 292 (HD-SDI) video both use 75ohm coax for distribution (and the rates are about 100MHz and 1.5Gigabit)

But, at the freqs we listen to, the effects of differing wires are pretty much restricted to wire size and impedance matching. Boils down to putting a big enough conductor in the path and you'll be OK......but then, I've spent 40 years on a variety of airplanes so maybe my ears aren't the best anymore!
    Share what you know, learn what you don't...

The wire is just wire. Everything else is down to the dielectric.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    OH DEAR..... So now we ban , politics , racism , religion and CABLE debates .... Moderator , do your thing please !

BTW , who is this Athens fella , should I have read his books on the subject ?
    Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    I did not intend for this issue to get out of hand.....shut it down. I have gleaned enough information.

Again, thanks to all.
    I'll admit I haven't had the opportunity to wade into reading the last few mega posts. I've just been too busy.

Not taking any sides here, but I guess I'll follow the request of the thread starter and close the thread. I do think that some very useful info has been posted and some well worn opinions have been expressed as well.

If someone wants to start a new thread tackling a specific portion of this discussion, I don't think there is any problem in that.

Widget

Thread Information