Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help- LE15A cones vey stiff and don't seem to move

Help- LE15A cones vey stiff and don't seem to move

I made a deal for a pair of LE-15As in very good cosmetic condition. I assumed they were fine as per the seller saying so. I unboxed them and looked them over. They made the trip. However there is much cracking in the Lansalloy surrounds. When I pushed on the cone to check for rubbing, there is no movement at all - totally stiff! This can't be normal can it? I am getting readings of continuity on both drivers. Need some advice before I get upset. I gave a good bit for these and the seller seems very decent. Maybe I just don't know how LE-15As are? HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by hatrack71 View Post
    I made a deal for a pair of LE-15As in very good cosmetic condition. I assumed they were fine as per the seller saying so. I unboxed them and looked them over. They made the trip. However there is much cracking in the Lansalloy surrounds. When I pushed on the cone to check for rubbing, there is no movement at all - totally stiff! This can't be normal can it? I am getting readings of continuity on both drivers. Need some advice before I get upset. I gave a good bit for these and the seller seems very decent. Maybe I just don't know how LE-15As are? HELP!
    Absolutely common. If no one had physically or electrically "pushed" the cones and the surrounds were not cracked, you could use the infamous DOT3 treatment to get them supple again. Since they are cracked, you'll need to contact Mr. Cobbs and get new surrounds, or send them out to the reconer of your choice for new surrounds.

Widget

So you are saying ABSOLUTELY no cone movement is normal with the surrounds in this condition? Feels like it is seized but has continuity. I would think I could make the cone go through some excursion by applying downward pressure. But none? Thanks Widget.

So you are saying ABSOLUTELY no cone movement is normal with the surrounds in this condition? Feels like it is seized but has continuity. I would think I could make the cone go through some excursion by applying downward pressure. But none? Thanks Widget.
    They can become very stiff.

If you are very careful you can paint a bit of DOT3 brake fluid on the surrounds. (DO NOT GET ANY ON THE CONES.) Let the fluid soak for an hour and give them a bit of signal... they should play.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    They can become very stiff.

If you are very careful you can paint a bit of DOT3 brake fluid on the surrounds. (DO NOT GET ANY ON THE CONES.) Let the fluid soak for an hour and give them a bit of signal... they should play.

Widget
    Cool, thanks for the swift responses Widget. I feel a little better already. I hated looking at these beauties thinking they are destined for a recone right away after the $$ I sank into them. I am off to get dot 3 and an artists brush. I will be very careful.

Do it from the back side... the frame ribs will be in your way, but the fluid will pool in the surround rather than running off onto the cone.

Good Luck!

Widget

Absolutely. that is good advice there. Thank you so much Widget!

There's a thread around here someplace, I think a Q-Tip was the weapon of choice.

I don't know how stiff these surrounds can get, if it feels "seized" it may be a shifted magnet. Do you see any sign of shock on them?
    You say both are like that?
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    I don't know how stiff these surrounds can get, if it feels "seized" it may be a shifted magnet. Do you see any sign of shock on them?
    You say both are like that?
    No sign of shock at all. Matter of fact I just talked to the previous owner and they worked when he removed them. He did say they were getting a little stiff. I would say they are a lot stiff and can't imagine they would even function at all. I have felt a seized woofer and these BOTH feel like they are seized. Funny thing is one reads 9.2 and the other reads 9.3 ohms. Why would these be so stiff- the surrounds ARE hard as a rock but I would think there would be some, even if the slightest, movement. Wondering whether or not I should chance it and try to put new surrounds on them instead of sending them back. I really want these for my Apollos but don't want to get into the expense of reconing when I could get a pair of 2235Hs for near the same cost. I guess I could try the DOT 3 and see if I can get movement but I would hate to get any on the cone. Know what I mean?

Of the 5 I bought in the past 2 years (2 were new old stock) All the surrounds were stiff. Reconed 2 of them recently and new surrounds on the other 3. It's normal for that type of original surrounds. I wouldn't push them at all until you replace the surrounds are proceed as Mr. Widget suggests. If you stain the cone you will lose the value but it will sound great again!

Was the LE15A delivered with Lansalloy? The LE15A in my Paragon was as I remember foam. ??

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Was the LE15A delivered with Lansalloy? The LE15A in my Paragon was as I remember foam. ??
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Roger that. I bought a pair of new LE15As in 1979 and they were foam - assumed they were all foam. Mine lasted 14 years and were then replaced by a pro shop. Must have been an engineering change somewhere along the way??

So did you try the DOT3?

Did it work?
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Thread Information