Thread: L50 xover in Century 100

L50 xover in Century 100

I'm going to install L50 crossovers in a pair of Century 100's. I thought I read somewhere that one of the drivers is "reverse" polarity or maybe its the L50 crossover? Haven't been inside the Century's yet, but I do have the L50 xovers. What should I know to do this swap correctly? Help needed and appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    I'm going to install L50 crossovers in a pair of Century 100's. I thought I read somewhere that one of the drivers is "reverse" polarity or maybe its the L50 crossover? Haven't been inside the Century's yet, but I do have the L50 xovers. What should I know to do this swap correctly? Help needed and appreciated.
    Did I put this in the wrong section?

Did I put this in the wrong section?
    It might feel like it, but there has to be someone with interest, experience,
    and willingness to do some homework for you (or for themselves to be able to help).

Do you have schematics for both? Are the crossovers the same "order" for all sections
    (if not, you might indeed have to flip a driver's polarity to not get a null in the crossover
    area).

Is there a reason for doing this in the first place? It's sort of a weird request...

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    It might feel like it, but there has to be someone with interest, experience,
    and willingness to do some homework for you (or for themselves to be able to help).

Do you have schematics for both? Are the crossovers the same "order" for all sections
    (if not, you might indeed have to flip a driver's polarity to not get a null in the crossover
    area).

Is there a reason for doing this in the first place? It's sort of a weird request...
    The crossovers in the Century's are not very good, they almost full range each driver. There are expensive aftermarket xovers some have used to improve the 100's sound and the L50 xovers are said to be a pretty good improvement at a reasonable cost. On a thread or google search I read in the past the poster did this swap but mentioned one driver was "reverse polarity" and this requires attention when installing the L50 xovers...accept now I can't find the post. Being a bit of a novice I was hoping a forum member with some experience with this mod would chime in.

http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/...t/L50%20ts.pdf

Yes, with the L50, the mid is flipped in polarity. I believe the mid and tweet are similar to that of the L100 so you'd probably want to do likewise. The further question is whether the woofer 127A is the same polarity as that of the L100... I don't remember, but you could just try it and see which way sounds better (while checking on JBL woofer polarity models/history). Hope it works out.

Thread Information