Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Tubes and horns?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Hi, Heather,

WOW!! I'll miss seeing those L200 3-ways in your photos, my friend! Did you get tired of the horns, as they were setup in that system? Good luck in finding your perfect system, and I look forward to seeing what it turns out to be!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    I never tired of the horns - they still sound sweeter than the stock metal trumpets, (the metal trumpets can get tiring!)
    and the walnut horns are even better with the 2445J pro drivers compared to the stock 2420/2425 small drivers.

But I've been on a downsizing path for a while - I have 5 large speaker systems in the house
    (Vandersteen 3As, plus Vandersteen 2CE & 2CIs on the downstairs system, plus 3 large systems upstairs)
    and I really just want to listen to the music - not collect hardware.

But it's one thing to find a buyer for a factory based system, but a custom system can be harder to sell
    as there are personal choices made in how all the drivers and components mix together,
    It may be hard to find someone that appreciates the choices and the sound the same way you do.
    Its not always easy to get a decent return on the parts that went into such a system.
    I think that's why a lot of folks part out their system when they decide to sell.

Anyway, one friend had heard the system a couple times over the last few months, he'd bought some of my spares,
    and had been playing with them, and really took a liking to the way the pieces sounded together.

I had a small listening party today because some friends had been wanting to hear the UREIs I've been talking about recently -
    and afterwards, he made an offer we are both happy with ...

Plus it will be nice to get some clutter out of the music room ...

Doesn't mean I'll stop buying speakers (I'd like to try a pair of UREI 15s next) ...
    but my direction is a bit different than it was.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL speakers are gone.
    Teddy cat is forlorn.
    Empty spaces ...

Name:  JBL-Downsize_9277.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  110.4 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Hi, Heather,

Yes, Teddy does look a bit flummoxed, doesn't he?! Once he gets used to having more room, he may actually enjoy that. Sure is a handsome kitty, in any case. Though I'll miss seeing your L200 3-ways in your photos, I understand the thinning out plan, and should do a bit of that, myself. Congrats on finding an appreciative buyer for the L200's, and enjoy the hunt for your next system!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I took a look - I brought the cabinets home Mar 3, 2007 ... 8 years ago.
    I was originally planning to move my 4320 parts into the nicer boxes -
    Teddy took ownership immediately!

Name:  Teddy_030307.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  109.2 KB ...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Hi, Heather,

Yes, Teddy does look a bit flummoxed, doesn't he?! Once he gets used to having more room, he may actually enjoy that. Sure is a handsome kitty, in any case. Though I'll miss seeing your L200 3-ways in your photos, I understand the thinning out plan, and should do a bit of that, myself. Congrats on finding an appreciative buyer for the L200's, and enjoy the hunt for your next system!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

And I found some all-original new-in-box Bose 901 Series IVs so I'm putting my 4345s on the market.
    Then I'm looking for some Minimus 7s and, when I find them, the 250tis are going up for sale, even if I've never taken them out of their boxes.

Oh wait, still two-weeks until April 1.

Can't wait to hear your new setup.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    And I found some all-original new-in-box Bose 901 Series IVs so I'm putting my 4345s on the market.
    Then I'm looking for some Minimus 7s and, when I find them, the 250tis are going up for sale, even if I've never taken them out of their boxes.

Oh wait, still two-weeks until April 1.

Can't wait to hear your new setup.
    Well, the last pair of Bose someone gave me I gave to my inlaws who like such things ...
    I do have a pair of Wooden Minimus 7s - not connected -
    the L20Ts are far superior up in my office!

I really like the point/source nature of the UREIs - and - they are JBL drivers!

Auditions - not a problem - I'll make a point to offer you a demo here at Fairfax Audio ... ...
    are you expecting a Saturday off anytime soon (no snark implied - honest Q).
    I know its hard to find spare time in your schedule,
    and certainly family comes well ahead of audio-foolery!!

Hey, Phil,

I just happen to have four Mininus 7's I can trade you!! I'll send a freight company to your place to deliver the two pairs of 7's to you, and to pack up my new repro 4345's and bring them to me!!!!! (Hey, no need to thank my Bro! Always happy to do a favor for a LH/JBL Friend!!) ; ) Happy early April 1st to you, too! Take care, and God Bless!

Mark
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I'll make a point to offer you a demo here at Fairfax Audio ... ...
    are you expecting a Saturday off anytime soon (no snark implied - honest Q).
    I wish. This is the last Sunday I'll have off this month!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

"JBL speakers are gone.
    Teddy cat is forlorn.
    Empty spaces ..."

It was more like an intervention, JBL style.

"Though I'll miss seeing your L200 3-ways in your photos"
    Not to worry, Heather's L200's have gone to " Horn Heaven" and will have lot's of company.

"And I found some all-original new-in-box Bose 901 Series IVs so I'm putting my 4345s on the market."
    Dibbs...
    "Oh wait, still two-weeks until April 1. "
    Still Dibbs....

As you can see I am rather partial to horn systems. I've been enjoying the 4320's I re-assembled and couldn't resist the L200's Heather had. They give me the option to try a couple different configurations of 3 way systems.

Gotta run. but I'l; post a little more later
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Vera nice ...

House of horns!

Well done... congrats to both of you.

Widget

Hi, Tinpan,

Excellent! I am relieved to know that I can now get my "Heather's L200 3-way" fix, anytime I need it, by looking at the system at YOUR place!! Very nice stable of excellent horn systems! Must me interesting to hear the differences in each when compared to one another. I lusted after some Cornwalls when I was younger. And, my first horn-loaded system consisted of Altec 816 boxes, with JBL's inside, and 811B horn on top, with 802 driver. To me, it was pure heaven, as I could drive it quite nicely with the little Sansui 15 WPC receiver I had back then! LPs sounded great on it, actually, and I didn't even miss the lack of really deep bass, either. Dynamic, they were, just as your systems are!! Thanks for sharing and congrats to both you, and Heather, for striking your deal! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Hi Heather , if you are listening and comparing speakers in close proximity like that its a good idea to short out the unused speakers and stuff their ports.
    Otherwise all you have is a couple of big resonators that will variously sing along with or cancel the driven speakers.
    Personally from past experience I think you are in better company with Vandersteen or Tannoy ( although they are quite different )

Cheerie

M
    Thanks Mac!
    I did even better - had them for sale for ages, but I hit a sweet (price) spot recently and sold off the Vandersteen 2CEs and 3As -
    as well as the UREI 811C project speakers ... Just one pair in the upstairs now - the Von Schweikert VR-4s! (for now)

Name:  LowView-1pair.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  100.5 KB

Did one last change in the system. One of the folks on Audiokarma had a newer Jolida 502CRC - this is a minor upgrade from the 502BRC
    integrated amp I bought used in 2013. Anyway, the 502CRC is pretty much the same amp but it has a Bypass switch so I have the capability
    to use it as a power amp, and feed it from a discrete preamp. It also has a balanced input with XLR connectors, and a minijack on the front
    so it could be fed directly from an iPod or similar digital player. The sound was comparable to my older 502BRC, so I sold that to a gentleman in Ga.

Oh - and the Vandersteen 3As got shipped to a gentleman in CA via Airfreight ... so the living room is more open now!

Name:  JustOnePair-VR-4s_1801.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  102.4 KB

I have missed my custom L200s ...

Fortunately, Subwoof has enabled me with a new pair of cabinets to start a new round of wood horned experimentations ...!
    The madness will continue here -
    https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...3-24-JBL-build
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information