Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Tubes and horns?

Electrostats & panels - only a little OT ?

I had/have (parted. but here) Jantzen 'stats* ...incredible highs/mids , but the sweet spot was about 2 inches wide , which is the reason that I so enjoy the ESS Heil AMT drivers ...same great h/m , but huge sweet spot.

have a friend who picked up some CARVER AMAZING panel speakers . Got a good price as they were DOA. He found Bob Carver's email address and asked him about repairs and noted that he is in PDX.

Bob replied that he's just up I-5 in Sequim (not far from Seattle) and "bring 'em up" ... they spent the day in BC's garage and got drivers going again. He even autographed the pair. Friend claims same type of sound as your new Tympani's (tho they are single panel)

*the Jantzens do need to be plugged into 110v to run the HF/MF (2 way/10 inchers , passive)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

We don't have children, but I would be nervous of anything with a HV power supply around the cat(s).

The Carvers are supposed to be quite amazing but I've heard they have an appetite for wattage,
    and can apparently be a difficult load for many amps. Don't know how they'd work with those BGW amps you have.
    I've read of Amazing sales here and there but have not seen any of them locally ...

The magnepans aren't electrostatic - its a full 60'x14' or so panel (in a 72 x 16 frame) that radiates bipolar -
    There is a wire loom glued to a mylar panel that works via magnetism - its quite amazing the soundfield they create.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I had/have (parted. but here) Jantzen 'stats* ...incredible highs/mids , but the sweet spot was about 2 inches wide , which is the reason that I so enjoy the ESS Heil AMT drivers ...same great h/m , but huge sweet spot.

have a friend who picked up some CARVER AMAZING panel speakers . Got a good price as they were DOA. He found Bob Carver's email address and asked him about repairs and noted that he is in PDX.

Bob replied that he's just up I-5 in Sequim (not far from Seattle) and "bring 'em up" ... they spent the day in BC's garage and got drivers going again. He even autographed the pair. Friend claims same type of sound as your new Tympani's (tho they are single panel)

*the Jantzens do need to be plugged into 110v to run the HF/MF (2 way/10 inchers , passive)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I made a call to the Magnepan factory last Tuesday, checking prices for new socks and wire kits to rebuild the 6 panels.
    Parts would be around $350 or so, plus shipping from the factory in Mn. But interestingly enough,
    I also found out that if I ship the 35 year old speakers back to the factory, for somewhere around a grand or so,
    they'll rebuild them, install new socks, and check/repair the electronics (a simple 2 way crossover), and ship them back to me.

Its VERY tempting to avoid all that fuss and tedious mess with the smelly chemicals and such,
    and wind up with factory fresh speakers.
    I don't know if you're still considering the updating, but I thought I'd pass along my feelings about the Tympani. I owned a pair of 1Ds a couple years ago that I picked up by a similar fashion. I was very impressed by that great soundstaging these maggies are famous for, and excellent midrange. I also initially felt the top end extension was good, but after a couple days came to realize it actually was lacking. They are very easy to listen to though. If you are enjoying the overall performance of the Tympani, and considering investing some money in a pair, I would suggest auditioning the Tympani IVA model. It utilizes a true ribbon tweeter, better midrange panel, and crossover. They are considerably better than the 1D, were highly acclaimed, and coveted by their owners. Most pairs have been well cared for and a good set could run you about the same cost as updating the 1Ds. Many owners have already done the rewiring. I have a friend in the D.C. area who owns a pair, and if set up, would be happy to let you hear them. While considering updating my 1Ds, I placed an ad on Audiogon under the "wanted" heading asking if someone in the D.C. area had a pair of IVAs they would be willing to let me audition, and he contacted me. 5 minutes of listening was all it took to let me know it was not going to be worth updating the 1Ds. I also learned my room wasn't nearly large enough to let these speakers really perform. Sold the 1Ds, stayed friends with the IVA owner so I can listen to his from time to time.

Below is a photo of a technique that A.R. and Magnepan used at a CES show some years ago that a friend of mine has utilized with his home system. It uses 2 pairs of Maggie 3.6R (or 3.5, 3.7) set up in a "T" configuration and wired in series. Bass as good or better than the Tympanis, and outstanding top end performance. Since the introduction of the 3.7s, the 3.5/3.6 speaker prices are dropping enough to make it feasible to buy 2 pairs.

Name:  DSCN10930001.JPG
Views: 1008
Size:  317.1 KB

Below are my 1Ds, in a room too small for Tympani.

Name:  DSCN11130001.JPG
Views: 1009
Size:  324.0 KB

Thanks very much for the feedback, Rusty.

I've spent the last 2 weeks selling off all kinds of spares & parts to collect money for the rebuild,
    But now I am having second thoughts about dropping the money into a factory rebuild.
    The old JBLs I've owned have held value for me pretty well - I don't know about the Mags ...

So tomorrow after Dim Sum, we are headed to The Gifted Listener in Centerville,
    to audition some modern Magnepans and to get a better sense of the newer ones,
    and really figure what our possibilities are, and if we want to go that route.

One possibility is that afterwards, I may put my 1Ds on CL and just turn them back into cash ...
    (its got to be agreed to by Emma as well - the Mag sound captivated her as well ...)

For nearly 10 years we've been spoiled with JBL 2235s and slots on top.
    Later on we got accustomed to added plus of Smith horns with pro drivers.
    While it might be tempting to convert them into cash as well,
    the question is always - what would replace them?

I've been told to buy Array 1400s - but I'm hesitant to drop that much money into new speakers -
    darned things depreciate worse than new sports cars!

So much to think about!

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    I don't know if you're still considering the updating, but I thought I'd pass along my feelings about the Tympani. I owned a pair of 1Ds a couple years ago that I picked up by a similar fashion. I was very impressed by that great soundstaging these maggies are famous for, and excellent midrange. I also initially felt the top end extension was good, but after a couple days came to realize it actually was lacking. They are very easy to listen to though. If you are enjoying the overall performance of the Tympani, and considering investing some money in a pair, I would suggest auditioning the Tympani IVA model. It utilizes a true ribbon tweeter, better midrange panel, and crossover. They are considerably better than the 1D, were highly acclaimed, and coveted by their owners. Most pairs have been well cared for and a good set could run you about the same cost as updating the 1Ds. Many owners have already done the rewiring. I have a friend in the D.C. area who owns a pair, and if set up, would be happy to let you hear them. While considering updating my 1Ds, I placed an ad on Audiogon under the "wanted" heading asking if someone in the D.C. area had a pair of IVAs they would be willing to let me audition, and he contacted me. 5 minutes of listening was all it took to let me know it was not going to be worth updating the 1Ds. I also learned my room wasn't nearly large enough to let these speakers really perform. Sold the 1Ds, stayed friends with the IVA owner so I can listen to his from time to time.

Below is a photo of a technique that A.R. and Magnepan used at a CES show some years ago that a friend of mine has utilized with his home system. It uses 2 pairs of Maggie 3.6R (or 3.5, 3.7) set up in a "T" configuration and wired in series. Bass as good or better than the Tympanis, and outstanding top end performance. Since the introduction of the 3.7s, the 3.5/3.6 speaker prices are dropping enough to make it feasible to buy 2 pairs.

Name:  DSCN10930001.JPG
Views: 1008
Size:  317.1 KB

Below are my 1Ds, in a room too small for Tympani.

Name:  DSCN11130001.JPG
Views: 1009
Size:  324.0 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

I've been told to buy Array 1400s - but I'm hesitant to drop that much money into new speakers -
    darned things depreciate worse than new sports cars!
    Just wait!
    At the rate they're dropping, the DD6600 will be affordable (for normal folks like you and me) soon. They've already dropped from somewhere in the mid $60k to the low $20k range. If it's cut in thirds again I could be interested.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics...-757194152.htm

These have been on sale in NZ for quite a while with no nibbles.

Allan.

CHanges upstairs

Went to the Richmond Celtic games over the weekend, and while I was there, I picked up something different from an AK member in the area ...

Von Schweikert VR-4 (1998). Base cabs are 100 Lb each - upper enclosures are 50lb ea ... a heavy move!

They are black on black - so I'll check out stripping the black paint off the cap and foot to reveal the wood underneath (probably oak).
    The lower cabinet has a pair of 8 inch woofers in a rear ported cabinet.
    The upper cabinet seems like the Vandersteens - basically an open "enclosure" that is a cloth scrim with no panels inside, a front facing mid and tweeter,
    plus a (controllable) rear facing tweeter.
    Amazingly low bass, very dynamic with crisp percussives, clean mids and highs - and - they image very very well ...

I don't have them in the sweet spot yet - but I am running them with the 60w/ch Jolida 502BRC tube amp and they are loud and impressive ...

Thinking about moving the custom L200s to the TV room and selling off the vandersteen 3A (current mains in that room), and selling off the KEF 105.4 ...

More later - got to scoot!

Name:  VR-4-home_8923.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  89.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

What? you were very happy with the Vandys? We missed the listening party for them and now you have these

I like 100lb base cabs, should make bass

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    What? you were very happy with the Vandys?
    I've never done anything like that... I'd suggest keeping both for a while just in case you have a change of heart.

Widget

Until a buyer appears for the vandy 3As, they are still front mains in the media room downstairs ...
    but at some point I want to move the JBL L200s with horns downstairs and see how they play in that system ...

and move the Vandy 3As upstairs to see how they play in that space.
    The 3As ARE nice - but these VR-4s are better ... at least as heard at Jeff's place in Richmond and in our upstairs room with the 60 watt tube amp ...
    I eventually want to clean the (factory) black paint off the cap and footer to reveal the wood underneath, like i did with the DCM TF-600s, but not this week ...

Pity all these speakers are so bloody heavy ... my back is achy already ...

and yes, the VR-4s do have deep low bass - its amazing ... played some Crimson, old Genesis, Beethoven's 9th from Immortal Beloved soundtrack,
    you should hear the Boz track "Thanks to You" from Dig (that's the one they played in the Harman demo truck couple years back) ... the whole house shudders - even with just 60 tube watts!

We'll find time for another listening party before the holidays, ok? and invite a couple new faces ...

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    What? you were very happy with the Vandys? We missed the listening party for them and now you have these

I like 100lb base cabs, should make bass

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I've never done anything like that... I'd suggest keeping both for a while just in case you have a change of heart.

Widget
    Agreed - I think I should sell the KEFs off and hold the others for a bit -
    take some time and try each remaining system in the 2 different rooms
    with the different gear and see which plays best with what where!

Its just the ones I like best are all so darned big and heavy -
    the VR-4 stacks are 150lbs each! At least they are efficient.

Its just the ones I like best are all so darned big and heavy -
    the VR-4 stacks are 150lbs each! At least they are efficient.
    At least they are in almost manageable sections! My speakers are not sectional and weigh twice that... and are awkwardly shaped too!

Widget

Thing change and yet some things stay the same. For the last few months I had been trying to sell off at least one pair of speakers.
    Finally found someone who dropped by for a demo Sunday and left me with a check -
    he's buying my KEF 105.4 speakers - and wants me to hold them until Feb 1
    while his contractors finish building the music room for him, his son and a certain grand piano.

I dropped the check in the bank today - but since I don't need to play the KEFs any more, it gave
    me a chance to clear them from the room for a bit ... (behind the white door)

Still have the stack with the Jolida 502 BRC tube amp - seems a perfect match for either the JBLs with horns
    or the Von Schweikert VR-4s, with their striking imaging ...

Playing the VR-4s now - "Keith Jarrett - Dark Intervals" now - live piano with stunning dynamic range and tonality ...

Name:  2Pair_9100.jpg
Views: 3081
Size:  94.8 KB

Its inevitable - change is gonna come ...

Yet another change in the speaker stacks - thinning the herd (or is that the Heard?)!

The buyer picked up the KEF 105.4s in early Feb, I found a buyer for the Magnepan Tympani 1Ds I bought that failed in 24 hours and were going to need a rebuild -
    I considered a DIY rebuild, called the factory and considered a factory rebuild, then decided to avid the mess and put them up for sale ... shipped them to AR so they're gone.

Then late today I got a fair offer on the JBL L200 Custom 3 ways with the walnut smith horns and 2445J drivers.
    If it doesn't rain, they'll head out tomorrow ...
    That's the last of the big JBLs I had in the house - except for the 4641 sub down in the TV room.

If I get a fair offer, I'll let the Von Schweikerts can go away ...

Still running that room with the short rack of the Oppo DV981, Audio Alchemy DDE3 DAC, and the Jolida 502 BRC integrated tube amp -

After being amazed at the sound of Rusty Jefferson's 813C UREIs, I looked for a starter pair and found a pair of 809 drivers and crossovers,
    then found a complete pair of UREI 809A speakers with bad surrounds, swapped the woofer cores around, and put a pair of 2214 woofers
    with a 12 mH choke in the lower "blonde" cabinets and have been enjoying the heck out of them for the last 2 weeks.
    The UREIs also use JBL 12 inch drivers and are very efficient.

Who knows, maybe I'll find a nice pair of UREI 811Cs (with the JBL 15 inch drivers) and settle on them ...

More info when I have it!

Hi, Heather,

WOW!! I'll miss seeing those L200 3-ways in your photos, my friend! Did you get tired of the horns, as they were setup in that system? Good luck in finding your perfect system, and I look forward to seeing what it turns out to be!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thread Information