Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tubes and horns?

the China Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    the JoLida China site said the US partner of the firm had died ...
    just before the legal battles started.

Well that figures!

Heather I just got of the phone with the dealer up here in NY and he tells me the company is runing same as always. Sounds like business as usual from what he told me. They are a small company so most likely you will not hear back from them but you might try finding a dealer in your area where you can audiotion the gear.
    All their new units are now remote control (for better or for worse), the 102B retails at $775.00 & the 302B @ $1,275.00, these have really gone up quite a bit.
    The hybrid goes for $781.00. Have not seen anything on the net this week, a bit of a dry spell perhaps, like everything else it will pass.

Just Play Music.

Actually, I did get an email back from them that I could drop by for a visit if I give a call first ...

Seems fair enough.

Wilfredo has offered to let me borrow his 102B for a spell -
    see what it does for my "L200 32ways"

Maybe get some fun listening time in during the holidays ...

I'm seeing lots of integrated tube amps out there lately ... some new, and some very old!

But all in all, trying to keep the great tube adventure under $500, for now.

The Dahlquists didn't sell Saturday (guy never showed & never called)
    but when I did the Subwoofer shuffle on the downstairs system
    (swapped out my B-380 for Dhar's 4641) i wound up with a pair of klipsh KG-2s in the process!!
    Clean 2-way speakers with a rear facing passive driver ... nice enough, but no need for them
    so the living room continues to fill up with - stuff to sell to fund the tube adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Well that figures!

Heather I just got of the phone with the dealer up here in NY and he tells me the company is runing same as always. Sounds like business as usual from what he told me. They are a small company so most likely you will not hear back from them but you might try finding a dealer in your area where you can audiotion the gear.
    All their new units are now remote control (for better or for worse), the 102B retails at $775.00 & the 302B @ $1,275.00, these have really gone up quite a bit.
    The hybrid goes for $781.00. Have not seen anything on the net this week, a bit of a dry spell perhaps, like everything else it will pass.

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Actually, I did get an email back from them that I could drop by for a visit if I give a call first ...

Seems fair enough.

Wilfredo has offered to let me borrow his 102B for a spell -
    see what it does for my "L200 32ways"

Maybe get some fun listening time in during the holidays ...

I'm seeing lots of integrated tube amps out there lately ... some new, and some very old!

But all in all, trying to keep the great tube adventure under $500, for now.

The Dahlquists didn't sell Saturday (guy never showed & never called)
    but when I did the Subwoofer shuffle on the downstairs system
    (swapped out my B-380 for Dhar's 4641) i wound up with a pair of klipsh KG-2s in the process!!
    Clean 2-way speakers with a rear facing passive driver ... nice enough, but no need for them
    so the living room continues to fill up with - stuff to sell to fund the tube adventure!
    Sounds good! nothing like auditioning gear in your own environment to really get a sense wether its to your liking.
    The 102 is fun so you should be in good shape, let me know what type of power tubes (el84) it has, I could send you a set of 4 to try out if you are interested, the unit would need to be biased but thats simple enough, thats probably geting a little ahead of ourselves though.

I think you should be able to keep this little adventure under 500, thats not unreasonable.
    Good luck with the sales, its always nice to lighten the load every now & then.

Do keep us posted, curious to see how you like the particular sound
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by doucanoe View Post
    If you haven't ventured down this road in the past, I think you may be shocked to hear what a 8-15 watt tube amp will do with your speakers. Even more so if you have the opportunity to audition something like 3-8 watt SET. Although much is going to be dependent on what you like to listen to and listening level habits, a low power tube amp won't not run out of gas as fast as you may think. I became a believer when I first heard a 2A3 SET driving a pair of (Approx. 3 watt/ch 93-95 dB) Tannoy Ardens I used to own.
    We missed out on a great opportunity, here ... I was just down in the DC area (Bethesda, MD) over the weekend with my 45-based SET power amp hoping to hear it with 2397 diffraction horns(!!!) What a shame ... would have been a win-win, right?

Anyway, I second what doucanoe said ... and can offer my own first-hand experience. My 1-1/2 wpc is enough to power a pair of ~99dB Altecs in a 22' x 18' x 17' (cathedral ceiling) room *so long as* a preamp with decent gain is in front of it. Even better if my variable gain phono preamp is in front of both. It's really the amount of gain before the power amp that makes all the difference in my system.

I wouldn't just assume that you need as much power as an ST-35 or -70 has to offer. (Although I admit that you may not want to drop down into flea-power territory.) We might all disagree on ultimate sound quality, but I doubt anyone would find sheer SPL in my system lacking. I know, I know ... hard to believe so little power could satisfy like it does.

Wow - what a missed opportunity - a shame all around!
    Next time you're headed this way, send a PM ahead of time and we can get the Mid-atlantic Listening party gang together!
    On the Amp config - worst case scenario, I've got a currently unused Carver C1 preamp - its readily at hand and I could use that
    to feed a tube power amp ... Not too fancy but its pretty clean ... I don't play "Stupid Loud" but having some volume in reserve is nice!

And the main listening room does have a cathedral ceiling!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hodgson View Post
    We missed out on a great opportunity, here ... I was just down in the DC area (Bethesda, MD) over the weekend with my 45-based SET power amp hoping to hear it with 2397 diffraction horns(!!!) What a shame ... would have been a win-win, right? Anyway, I second what doucanoe said ... and can offer my own first-hand experience. My 1-1/2 wpc is enough to power a pair of ~99dB Altecs in a 22' x 18' x 17' (cathedral ceiling) room *so long as* a preamp with decent gain is in front of it. Even better if my variable gain phono preamp is in front of both. It's really the amount of gain before the power amp that makes all the difference in my system. I wouldn't just assume that you need as much power as an ST-35 or -70 has to offer. (Although I admit that you may not want to drop down into flea-power territory.) We might all disagree on ultimate sound quality, but I doubt anyone would find sheer SPL in my system lacking. I know, I know ... hard to believe so little power could satisfy like it does.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

The amp I bought off AK arrived yesterday ... its based on a Stromberg Carlson ASR-433 "integrated amp"
    (originally a console pull, I believe), but rebuilt on a new chassis as an standalone amp with input level controls.
    New caps, new film resistors, fully refreshened. Tubes are a pair of 12AX7 with quad (EL84) 6BQ5 outputs.

I slipped a small Beech board under it as isolation between it and the Carver preamp directly underneath.

Although its capable of direct-connect with a cd player OR other high level input,
    I'm using a Carver C-1 as preamp & input selector for the usual sources:
    Airtunes (via Airport Express), AR-XB and the HK CD changer tho so far all I've played was the HK ...

So far I've just hooked it up and played a bit of Van Morrison and AJA last night -
    but seems to have quite a bit of bass and a lot of headroom with the L200 3ways.

Baking cookies in the kitchen now while iTunes is working through 10 hours of Klezmer of various flavours ...
    from traditional to eXtreme radical klezmer! yahootie!!

(...cause really, how much Christmas carols can you stand at this point???)

More fun and info over the holidays -

Name:  SCAmp_5570.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  64.2 KB

efficiency

I'm not sure how to figure what the efficiency of this combination would be,

Kindly ignore the the other speakers - I'll be selling off the Maggies and the Dahlquist ...

Ideas, thoughts, comments?[/QUOTE]

You need a bass horn to restore balanced efficiency w/2441
    it should have approx. 600 sq in mouth and throat depth same as your 2441/horn
    It should be a direct radiator .............only problem ..its
    going to be big...otherwise I'd retire that horn....Its like a white elephant..

I've watched you pop into various threads all over the site with critical posts -
    but Merry Christmas to you anyway!

If wishes were fishes ... so while it'd probably be nice to have a bass horn,
    its a 2234 woofer in a ported cabinet, so that part of the system is pretty efficient as it is.
    I've played the system over the last week or so with 2 different EL84/6bq5 type tube amps -
    not a ton of power from them, but we've had plenty of good sound filling our listening space.

And the ultimate test is how it sounds ...

Even with the solid state Carver receiver before this, since I've been enjoying this combo for the last year or so,
    and a number of folks who come by & listen comment on the quality of sound,
    its not as dire as your comment would imply.

Its always easy to snipe from afar ...

got Johnny Mathis Christmas vinyl playing nicely right now ... sounds sweet to us.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    I'm not sure how to figure what the efficiency of this combination would be,

You need a bass horn to restore balanced efficiency w/2441
    it should have approx. 600 sq in mouth and throat depth same as your 2441/horn
    It should be a direct radiator .............only problem ..its
    going to be big...otherwise I'd retire that horn....Its like a white elephant..

Nice looking Stromberg amp there Heather! I've heard a couple of these 433's and thought they were pretty special. You really can't go wrong with a 6BQ5 but these sound particularly nice and I love the layout re-design.

RC
    Ignorant Member

Quote Originally Posted by doucanoe View Post
    Nice looking Stromberg amp there Heather! I've heard a couple of these 433's and thought they were pretty special. You really can't go wrong with a 6BQ5 but these sound particularly nice and I love the layout re-design.

RC
    Thanks - Mark at AK did a very well thought and artful design on the rebuild ...

Name:  SCA-433-6.jpg
Views: 1893
Size:  69.3 KB

Merry Christmas

Its always easy to snipe from afar ...

got Johnny Mathis Christmas vinyl playing nicely right now ... sounds sweet to us.

Enjoy.[/QUOTE]

Hey! the guy in Aberdeen named Stuart ..by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    Hey! the guy in Aberdeen named Stuart ..by chance?
    yep - the last pair of cabinets came from Blazer, empty.

That system started as a pair of 4320 monitors from near Philly -
    moved into the L200 cabs later (better SAF) - grew and evolved,
    built new crossovers, external horns, then larger mid drivers -
    then into a nicer pair of L200 cabs more recently ...
    The whole story is in this thread ...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...from-Aberdeen)

Thanks - Mark at AK did a very well thought and artful design on the rebuild ...
    Congratulations Heather! looks like a nice little unit, what's the juice on that puppy? Those tubes will keep you warm this winter

Enjoy!
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Congratulations Heather! looks like a nice little unit, what's the juice on that puppy?
    Those tubes will keep you warm this winter

Enjoy!
    Thanks - its interesting what those glow-bulbs can do!
    Don't know power output exactly - its a quad 6BQ5 config ...
    so I'd guess its in the 15-20w/ch range - kinda standard for that config, isn't it?

The sound is good - almost bass heavy ... kind of a slight murkiness in the upper mids ...
    but I'm guessing its a new build and may not be fully cooked in ...

Its got Philco 12AX7 tubes at the bottom, & apparently GE output tubes ...
    Had plenty of power for the Klipsch KG2s I was playing with for a while (now gone).
    & its got tons of power for the JBLs ... plenty of headroom with them!

So far I've played some vinyl (Emma's old Christmas albums)
    some lossless files from airtunes, and various CDs -
    been busy with other things so haven't had tooo much dedicated listening time just yet.

I put the DQ-10 system away for a bit ... just to make some room.
    Gotta scoot - last minute wrapping to do!

Thanks - its interesting what those glow-bulbs can do!
    Don't know power output exactly - its a quad 6BQ5 config ...
    so I'd guess its in the 15-20w/ch range - kinda standard for that config, isn't it?(that sounds about right, probably closer to the 20w/ch)

The sound is good - almost bass heavy (thats interesting, but not surprising, never understood why tubes have been atributed as lacking in that department, from my limited experience? ) ... kind of a slight murkiness in the upper mids ...
    but I'm guessing its a new build and may not be fully cooked in ...

Its got Philco 12AX7 tubes at the bottom, & apparently GE output tubes ...
    Had plenty of power for the Klipsch KG2s I was playing with for a while (now gone).
    & its got tons of power for the JBLs ... plenty of headroom with them!

So far I've played some vinyl (Emma's old Christmas albums)
    some lossless files from airtunes, and various CDs -
    been busy with other things so haven't had tooo much dedicated listening time just yet.

I put the DQ-10 system away for a bit ... just to make some room.
    Gotta scoot - last minute wrapping to do!
    Yes!
    Just Play Music.

Thread Information