Thread: Tubes and horns?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sweet Tubes!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Thanks - Mark at AK did a very well thought and artful design on the rebuild ...

Name:  SCA-433-6.jpg
Views: 1893
Size:  69.3 KB
    Hey Heather those are some really sweet tubes! I think you made a great choice of amps. I really like the tone on those 6BQ5's. That unit must put out 12-16 watts or so which is plenty for a 6BQ5 amp....looks like a fair amount of iron there also so it probably has really smooth bass response(not so flabby)..... I think the more you listen, the more you will like.

I have been goofing around with tubes for the last year or so. I have ben customizing these little Magnavox 6BQ5 SE(4-5 watts) and 6V6 PP(8-10 watts) amps that come out of the old Maggie consoles... I really dig the sound on these with my Altec Carmels and 605A's(in 4ft cabs).... with my vintage Jazz, Classical or vocal stuff they really sound fabulous.

I also ran across a Dynaco ST-70 with original Mullard tubes at an estate sale... man this thing sounds real nice. The sound stage is more complete than the little 4 watt Maggies, and there is plenty of power for bass response. It is comparable to my McIntosh MC240. The Dynaco sounds best with the 605A's. I have yet to try these with my JBL's. I am considering moving my 4333a's into this room for a few days and try them out with each of these different amps.

Here is a couple of pics of a few of the little Magnavox amps I have done. I buy these off EBay for about $125 and then replace the signal caps, and any bad/out of spec resistors, add a power switch, fuse, indicator light, and a few cosmetics(complete with a vintage Magnavox logo) and were cookin..... scuse the dust please...
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Vintage JBL and Altec fan

Thread Information