Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Some photos of my 4345 clones

Beautiful craftsmanship!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

The network enclosures are starting to come together. I'll post a fully assembled picture after polyurethane.

Can you believe that my wife wants me to hide these behind the speakers?!?

The grill frames are finished. I'm not very happy with them, the plywood was a little warped and it threw everything off.

Quote Originally Posted by just4kinks View Post
    The grill frames are finished. I'm not very happy with them, the plywood was a little warped and it threw everything off.
    A little steam and clamp time won't fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    A little steam and clamp time won't fix it?
    I could give it a try... does steam work on plywood?

Thats how we used to bend marine ply panels on boats hulls . The trick I have found is to take the warp slightly further in the opposite direction ...it will spring back a little . You can also wet the concave side , it will expand leaving the convexed side static .

Apply the water with a damp sponge . Be careful with steaming , you don't want to separate the adhesive .

Another way , looking at your pics . remove the top bead , clamp the ply do flat and then re-glue the top bead .
    When I do them I don't use screws on the top bead , glue ,clamp and when dry I drill 1/8 hole and use a bamboo skewer dipped in glue , leave it slightly proud and pare back with a sharp chisel .
    Good luck and remember , good carpenters make mistakes , very good ones can fix it without leaving a trace .

You have wonderful skills ,now comes the experience . Have faith, you have a genuine gift !

Rich

Awesome job on the grills. I usually use MDF for my grills (1" double refined MDF) but have you thought about trying some Hickory instead of plywood? Still as others have said, you got some definite wood working game, well done!

Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

The networks are done! I didn't want to leave anything to chance, so I took some measurements and plotted the results in Excel.

Here are the stock 3145 voltage drives for comparison:

Better than I expected!

Other updates:
    I tried to straighten the grills with some steam. I made some progress but I didn't want to stress the plywood too much. They're pretty good now, I don't think they'll rattle or anything.

I'm done with finishing. I ended up using Minwax Polycrylic, sprayed with HVLP. It looks pretty good, I'll post some more pictures after I get the drivers (there seems to be a delay in obtaining the recone kits from JBL).

I'm lovin the crossovers. Bummer on the recone part. Hopefully you'll get them soon. Can't wait to see the cabs.

just4kinks Beautiful boxes! I just had a simple question. Where did you get the boards etched? Wellsie

Thanks. I etched them myself... the boards are big (8"x12") and it's not cost effective to send them out. And I used really wide traces, so I wasn't too worried about accuracy. Really the only problem is the chemical disposal.

I actually exposed them in the sun on my driveway! I overexposed the first one and all the photoresist came off, so I used clear contact paper and cut out the traces with an x-acto knife. I shortened the exposure on the second board and it came out perfect. If I do many more I'll buy an exposure lamp.

Hmm... San Jose. Not so far. I'd love to see these beauties in real size!

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Sure, you can see them, but if you want to hear them you'll have to wait a month or two. I'm still waiting on the recones <sigh>.

Obsolete
    Sure, you can see them, but if you want to hear them you'll have to wait a month or two. I'm still waiting on the recones <sigh>.
    I'm ashamed to say that he's waited longer than that for me to build him a pair of networks.

It was a good weekend! My wife and I drove down to Southern California for the weekend, and picked up the recones along the way. Edgewound has done an incredible job, I hope they sound as good as they look!

Thread Information