Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Some photos of my 4345 clones

Yeah, where did you get the little enclosure for the crossover?

Quote Originally Posted by just4kinks View Post
    The crossover is done!

It is a noticeable upgrade from the m552. Midbass is more defined, bass and drums are sharper and clearer. Also there seems to be a bit more resolution in the highs.
    Excellent. And, your observation is consistent with my urging, although that included you consider a Bryston 10B L-R. I never contemplated you'd build your own! But that's all you, Joe!

It went together pretty much as planned. I messed up the gain structure, and I'm stuck with +6dB gain - I can fix it, but I'll have to order more parts.
    I'm curious about the error...

Also there was a defect in one of the PCB's copper layers, causing a short between traces. It was frustrating to track down - next time I need to inspect the boards more thoroughly before assembly.
    How'd you find it with everything still soldered to the PCB's? Compared one to the other...?

So what's next? The discrete op-amp, power amps, or maybe back to the wood shop for a matching birch rack / tv table.
    Smaart...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Your work looks very nice - small, modular and straight-forward.
    Nice cabinet too!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Yeah, where did you get the little enclosure for the crossover?
    http://www.par-metal.com/

Their enclosures are really nice! Thick anodized front face, variety of sizes, and good prices.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    I'm curious about the error...
    Basically, the balanced output buffer is doubling the amplitude of the signal. At some point I had realized it would be a problem, but I forgot to correct for it until it was too late.

How'd you find it with everything still soldered to the PCB's? Compared one to the other...?
    Luckily the short was on the bottom! It still took a while to find, at first I thought it was a faulty component and I clipped a bunch of them out.

Smaart...?
    Yes! I have some ideas I want to run by you, when the time comes.

Lemme guess: 100nf + 3.92k? What a gem. When I grow up I want to be just as talented knowledgeable and resourcefull as just4kinks. Fabbing up proper quality products on your own is a great way of life. I'm holding my breath till you fire up the discrete balanced crossover. I'm sure it'll be a work of art. I'll hopefully be firing my 24db@340Hz single ended opamp crossover tomorrow - really similar desing to what you fabbed up. Hopefully it too will work some magic in the overall feel of my clones.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnes View Post
    Lemme guess: 100nf + 3.92k?
    exactly! With 1% metal film resistors, and 1% mkp1837 (polypropylene metallized film) caps.

What a gem. When I grow up I want to be just as talented knowledgeable and resourcefull as just4kinks. Fabbing up proper quality products on your own is a great way of life. I'm holding my breath till you fire up the discrete balanced crossover. I'm sure it'll be a work of art.
    It's not talent and resource, it's just excessive free time! Besides, you have already proven your skills with your own beautiful clone project.

I'll hopefully be firing my 24db@340Hz single ended opamp crossover tomorrow - really similar desing to what you fabbed up. Hopefully it too will work some magic in the overall feel of my clones.
    post some pics! I want to see your handiwork.

My clone project required me nearly only to solder the passive crossover and screw in the drivers - not too much work at all. Carpentry is an art, ordering cabs is not.

I'm working on a discrete version, but of course that is a much bigger project and who knows when it will be done.
    A couple of you have asked, and I finally have some progress to post: my discrete crossover is almost done!

I spent a lot of time earlier this year developing my discrete op-amp. It is completely BJT-based, with a class-A output stage. I probably won't make a plug-in version after all, there would be too many compromises and it's too hard to guarantee stability. So far I have designed a balanced I/O board and a Linkwitz-Riley filter board. Next will be a parametric filter board, and then an attenuator module.

This crossover uses the same basic circuit as the 5532 version I posted before. I added a couple tweaks, like muting relays and a provision for a gain control pot, although gain and frequency are still fixed, tuned for the 4345. I plugged it in to my system for this first time this weekend. It's a bit premature to describe how it sounds, I have to make some more tweaks and then I'll A/B test it against my 5532 version.

Pics:

Damn! Looking very good. Great workmanship too. Well done!
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

I highly second the DAMN! Discrete analog crossover = pureness.

DAMN DAMN
    A discrete active crossover... Wow, great and simply stunning work!

will you be selling it?

Quote Originally Posted by tjnif View Post
    will you be selling it?
    Yes, eventually! But this is still just a prototype. I have bugs to work out, and as it is now the cost would be way too high.

Now I just need some time to work on it...

Wow. These are exceptional. Excellent attention to detail, and I love that you chose to finish them natural to bring out that beautiful ply.

You could just sell the pcb's for the start.
    Some of us would be able to work with it.

Oh, and a sketch of schematic for it.

That would be

Cost of enclosure?

What do you estimate the cost of the enclosure to be?

Thread Information