Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Some photos of my 4345 clones

You are in for a real treat ..... Nice work Edge !

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by just4kinks View Post
    It was a good weekend! My wife and I drove down to Southern California for the weekend, and picked up the recones along the way. Edgewound has done an incredible job, I hope they sound as good as they look!

It's always my pleasure to meet Lansing Heritage members in person....Thanks, Joe. I hope you and your lovely wife had a nice time in SoCal, despite the typically awful holiday traffic.

I'm just sorry it took so long to get the kits for the 2245Hs...but they turned out nice, nonetheless.

Your craftsmanship on these cabinets is a work of art. The attention to detail is simply stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by richlovesound
    You are in for a real treat ..... Nice work Edge !

Rich

Thanks, Rich. Your work is always inspiring to see.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    I'm just sorry it took so long to get the kits for the 2245Hs...but they turned out nice, nonetheless.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    It's always my pleasure to meet Lansing Heritage members in person....Thanks, Joe. I hope you and your lovely wife had a nice time in SoCal, despite the typically awful holiday traffic.

It was nice to meet you too, Ken, as well as all the other LH members that have helped me through this project.

The 2245's did turn out nice, and the 2122's did too! I know the delay was out of your hands, don't worry about it.

I left work early yesterday to get these assembled. I am totally pleased! It was worth every minute and every penny, and I haven't even dialed in the crossovers yet. The 2245's are amazing, deep and tight bass.

Here are a few more pics:

Note the lack of grill velcro. I have neo magnets embedded in the baffle from behind. I was unsure if I should do this, because the magnets attract dust (and screwdrivers), but now I'm glad I did. The grill attachment is so easy. Turns out that I don't even need the grill guide pin, too bad I drilled it already. Otherwise the baffles would be completely clean.

And here is a final shot of the corner, to show how it looks finished. I love Baltic birch!

Obsolete
    Love the color! Well done!

The 2245's are amazing, deep and tight bass.
    Crazy aren't they? I wish I still had the twenty cubic feet available for a pair.

Looking very good. I'm sure you'll enjoy many hours with them!
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Love the fresh recones. That + your craftsmanship makes those cabs stunning. How deep are those magnets how many and what is their size? I'd like to use the same grill mounting technique if I decide to build a second pair of 4344's finished to my taste.

Is the eq plugged into your chain? I'm experiencing quite a bit of boomyness from my 2235ers in the 80-300 range. If that eq is plugged in it seems you have a similar problem. I suspect the source of it to be from one or a combination of the following reasons:

1. Room response
    2. New speaker surrounds
    3. Inadequate internal damping

I can't do much about #1. #2 will take some time to figure out. #3 is the only hipothetical cause that can be worked with in my case. I 1" of sheep wool on the inside of the cabinets. Need to experiment a bit.

Obsolete
    Other things to check.

4. LF too close to the floor. (LE14H, 136H/2231H, 2235H and 2245H didn't require boundary reinforcement while the 124H/2203H was a bit more forgiving)
    5. Too much DCR in the LF filter inductor(s).
    6. No fiberglass insulation. (Greg tunes his enclosures using fiberglass, if you don't use fiberglass you will need to re-tune and/or re-volume the enclosure accordingly.

Note that not using fiberglass isn't trivial, it changes the net effective volume of the enclosure and therefore the system tuning as well as driver loading.

Sounds like #6 is my problem. I'm not a fan of fiberglass but if it's a must...

Obsolete
    Possibly.

Easy enough to check.

Greg invariably used 1" fiberglass on all surfaces but the baffle.

It is icky to work with... I preferred the tuflex in the Bozaks but it didn't seem to work so well in stock JBL enclosures.

Very nice J4K!! Those truly are a "Statement" speaker system!! Enjoy.
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by Amnes View Post
    How deep are those magnets how many and what is their size? I'd like to use the same grill mounting technique if I decide to build a second pair of 4344's finished to my taste.
    They are pretty big, 3/4" diameter x 3/8" thick N52. I took a guess at the pulling force I needed, used an online calculator to get and idea of the size, and then bought the cheapest size that was comparable. They are set almost all the way into the baffle/grill, about 1/16" from the face, covered only by a ply or two. Grind the point off of your forstner bit, and double check the depth stop before you drill! They are secured with epoxy, and if I ever do it again I will cut an opening for the air to escape when they are inserted.

The dust attraction is a real problem, it will form a faint shadow and it doesn't clean easily.

Is the eq plugged into your chain? I'm experiencing quite a bit of boomyness from my 2235ers in the 80-300 range. If that eq is plugged in it seems you have a similar problem.
    The EQ is not in the chain, the curve in the picture is left over from my old setup. I ran some pink noise through last night, and the response is pretty flat. I'm a bit surprised, even if the speakers are perfect I would have expected more room anomalies and inaccuracies in my cheapo RTA setup. Anyways I did locate a polarity problem, and there are a few small bumps and dips but nothing that seems significant compared to the problems I dealt with last time.

The dust attraction is a real problem, it will form a faint shadow and it doesn't clean easily.
    Beautiful on every account!!! Regarding the magnet secured frames-- I'm considering this on my next set. Would there be any downside to putting the magnet in the grill and the striker plate in the baffle to minimize the dust effects?
    Control 25AV on the deck - L1 - L20t & L80t in piano black - 4312A - 4430

Quote Originally Posted by Jonis View Post
    Beautiful on every account!!! Regarding the magnet secured frames-- I'm considering this on my next set. Would there be any downside to putting the magnet in the grill and the striker plate in the baffle to minimize the dust effects?
    I used magnets in both the grill and baffle, but a single, bigger magnet in the grill and a striker plate in the baffle is a great idea.

Thread Information