Thread: 4412 Rebuild

4412 Rebuild

Hoping somebody will have a comment or advice. I have a pair of original 4412 monitors. I bought them new ~20 years ago. To my ears they seem to sound a bit scratchy these days. I have already had the woofer refoamed a few years back but that is not the cause certainly.

These speakers appear to have the 035ti tweets along with the N-4412 X-over. I'm thinking perhaps a recap of X-over and/or tweet update could be in order? I'v read that the foam under the dome sometimes disintegrates perhaps?

I believe the 035ti will be hard to find so are the 035tia tweets a direct replacement? Will there be any differences in specs (frequency range wise)? Also any thoughts on a recap of the X-over?

I used to love these speakers but lately they do so a bit harsher that usual. Hopefully not my hearing going south! I welcome any thoughts or ideas. Thanks!

PM

Whens that last time you adjusted the level controls?? When you get a minute run them through their full range a couple of times and see if that helps. Those potentiometers get oxidized with age and that could be part of the problem.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Whens that last time you adjusted the level controls?? When you get a minute run them through their full range a couple of times and see if that helps. Those potentiometers get oxidized with age and that could be part of the problem.

Rob
    Yeah I fogot that one - I'll give that a try. What about some cleaner (i.e. deoxit, etc.) on the pots? Not sure if there is any opening on them to get the cleaner in or not.

PM

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post

Rob
    Well after cycling many times of both lpads it seems to be a bit smoother (less grainy). Any chance a rebuild of the N-4412 would help or hurt the situation? I'm guessing age gets to the caps after some amount of time? Not sure what the end result of bad caps on a X-over would be sonically though. Any input? Thanks.

Paul

Thread Information