Thread: Which JBL Sovereign-ish speaker have I bought?

Which JBL Sovereign-ish speaker have I bought?

I got these babies at a market a little while ago :

By djvirak at 2011-10-21
    Nicely built DIY enclosures, and with the following components:

LX5 dividing network
    N8000 crossover
    077 ring radiator
    375 compression driver
    H93 horn
    136A LF woofer
    PR15 passive radiator

Is this a specific model? I know very little about JBL speakers

Also, can I use the L91 lens for the horn (I'm looking at the Kenrick replicas)?
    Save the vinyl!

Nice Score! I would think They would be along the lines of an Olympus S8R without the len's and withpro 077's instead of 075's. Get them of the ground about a foot. Very Nice!

Yup. Nice score. Perhaps you need to raise them until the 2405 tweeters are at ears' height.

That would be a S8R system if the woofers were LE15As. My guess is that your systems originally had the LE15As and they were replaced along the way. With your 136A woofers, a newer and many would argue better design, you probably should toss the PR15s and go with a ported design. The PR15 was designed to go with the LE15A and not the 136A. There was a passive designed to go with the 136A, it was the PR15C, but a well tuned port is actually a better design than the passive radiators... just not as cool looking. You really also should develop new networks for those speakers... the LX5 crossovers were designed for the LE15A and are an ancient design anyway.

As was mentioned above, raising the speakers will improve performance, it is good to get the tweeters nearer to ear height and the lower mids will be better if you get the woofers up off the floor.

Widget

PS: Nice turntable collection!

L91 is the right lense for the H93.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

That would be a S8R system if the woofers were LE15As. My guess is that your systems originally had the LE15As and they were replaced along the way.
    I know a little bit of the history behind the speakers. The speakers were built by an enthusiast, who apparently bought all the drivers on a trip to USA. Why he got the PR15's is a mystery, as from what the second owner told me, he built a lot of speakers. Perhaps it was an early build.

With your 136A woofers, a newer and many would argue better design, you probably should toss the PR15s and go with a ported design.The PR15 was designed to go with the LE15A and not the 136A. There was a passive designed to go with the 136A, it was the PR15C, but a well tuned port is actually a better design than the passive radiators..
    Hm. That's an interesting option. How much would I have to rebuild the cabinets, then?
    Can porting them be done by simply plugging the cut-out for the PR15, and add appropriate ports?
    I don't have the experience, equipment or space for a massive rebuild.

But is the difference between the PR15 and PR15C radiators that significant?
    And if, is it possible to add mass to the PR15's with some DIY tuning discs, without devaluating them?

just not as cool looking.
    The coolness factor is not an issue, as I'm going to disguise the speakers as cabinets, with white grilles.
    My girlfriend is really cool with my audio obsession, but there's no need to push it

You really also should develop new networks for those speakers... the LX5 crossovers were designed for the LE15A and are an ancient design anyway.
    I guess I'll have to look into that. The capacitators must be pretty tired by now, anyway.

As was mentioned above, raising the speakers will improve performance, it is good to get the tweeters nearer to ear height and the lower mids will be better if you get the woofers up off the floor.
    I will, in the pic they were just plonked on the floor for testing. I can't raise them all the way to ear level, though, for aesthetic reasons.

L91 is the right lense for the H93.
    Takk! I'll get some Kenrick lenses, then
    Save the vinyl!

Thread Information