Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charge Couple - 250TiLE.

Charge Couple - 250TiLE.

Hello CC Guru's,,
    I am planning and wanting to CC the crossover and have a quick question wrt the attached schematic. I understand from reading the threads here that I need to double the value of the capacitors then add one identical to make pairs.

I need clarification on whether I need to do this on ALL the capacitors - meaning including the bypass ones like 0.01uF and 0.005uF or just the higher value ones?

Your help is much appreciated.

Name:  N250TiBQ.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  79.1 KB

Hi, Generally you would not worry about installing the bypass caps at all. Some however, do. If you choose to do so, just use the bypass caps as they are now. I.E. bypass each group of capacitors.

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Hi, Generally you would not worry about installing the bypass caps at all. Some however, do. If you choose to do so, just use the bypass caps as they are now. I.E. bypass each group of capacitors.

Allan.
    Thanks much Allan for the advice. So I went ahead and modified the diagrams as shown below with the bypass caps removed from the circuits.

Does everything look correct? Any other suggestions before I start shopping for the parts?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Looks good to me. Might do it in mine some time too.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnes View Post
    Looks good to me. Might do it in mine some time too.
    Thank you Amnes for the confirmation of the modified circuits. Come on and lets do it.
    I'll be biamping the speakers as well.

What amps...

Quote Originally Posted by JBL_620 View Post
    Thank you Amnes for the confirmation of the modified circuits. Come on and lets do it.
    will you be using?

Are you using an active crossover? If so you can eliminate much of the larger and more expensive components. Also, others with much experience have recommended using Solen caps without the need for bypass caps. There is a really, really good build thread here by 4313b somewhere, though for the version that uses bars to select padding. Still, much to be learned there due to the excellent construction technique.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Almost forgot.... If you are building from scratch and using new inductors, make sure you get the dc resistance (DCR) from the existing inductors. This resistance does affect the crossover, and you may need to provide additional resistance.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Thread on 250ti CC network:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...thread.php?289

I have been warned that the bi-amping quest can lead to a redesign of the network.

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    Thread on 250ti CC network:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...thread.php?289

I have been warned that the bi-amping quest can lead to a redesign of the network.
    Not really. This cabinet was made to be bi amped in the first instance.

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Paul View Post
    Are you using an active crossover? If so you can eliminate much of the larger and more expensive components. Also, others with much experience have recommended using Solen caps without the need for bypass caps. There is a really, really good build thread here by 4313b somewhere, though for the version that uses bars to select padding. Still, much to be learned there due to the excellent construction technique.
    Yes, Uncle Paul, I'll be using an active XO (main reason is to experiment and learn). I am currently putting together a part list with price and got about 40% done and I am already at ~$600 (for both speakers). I anticipate the toal for parts alone is about $1K at minimum. I am only shopping at Parts Express as I don't know anyone else.

Looks like I am looking at two different and separated projects here: Charge Coupled and Biamp.
    My plan is to keep the original passive XO's and build new ones from scratch to play with. I'll use the original passive XO when biamping (bypassing the low but still use the passive network for the mid's and hi's). I'll using the Behringer DCX2496 as an active XO for the experiment. Once I learn more about the biamp, I will shop for more hi end unit then but for now the DCX2496 should be sufficient.

The question I have for the experts here is:

Can I still biamp with the CC passive network that I will be building? I was not planning to run both simultaneously though as I don't know if you can do that or what the advantages are from that.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Paul View Post
    Almost forgot.... If you are building from scratch and using new inductors, make sure you get the dc resistance (DCR) from the existing inductors. This resistance does affect the crossover, and you may need to provide additional resistance.
    Uncle Paul, can you elaborate more on this?
    I will be building from the scratch and will buy all the components and construct the circuit as shown on the CC schematic. Does not work like that? Thanks.

Need help on finding the right values for these parts.

Seems they don't make the inductors in these exact values, What equivalent are you using to get these values:

0.03mH
    0.18mH
    0.5mH

Same for the 3.9 Ohm 10W resistor, can I use a 4 ohm resistor, or four 1 ohm resistors in series? With 5% tolerance, I think this should work.

Your advice and guidance is much appreciated. Thanks.

When I built my Jubilees I just purchased a coil size a bit larger and then just wound off some coils. For the resistor you can use 4 ohms

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

[QUOTE=JBL_620;322607Can I still biamp with the CC passive network that I will be building? I was not planning to run both simultaneously though as I don't know if you can do that or what the advantages are from that.[/QUOTE]

You can absolutely biamp using cc networks - that should be the ultimate. Once again for the biamped network you can drop much of the network components (everything to the LE-14-1 but add a zobel, and the high pass portion going to the 108H) since the electronic crossover will be doing the low pass to the woofer and the high pass to the mid woofer. Or you can leave it stock.

Uncle Paul, can you elaborate more on this?
    I will be building from the scratch and will buy all the components and construct the circuit as shown on the CC schematic. Does not work like that? Thanks.
    Basically, measure the DC resistance of the original inductor, then measure the DC resistance of the replacement. The use a series resistor to make up the difference. (I'm making an assumption here that the new inductor has less DC resistance, which is usually true) This gives the new inductor effectively the same electrical characteristics of the new one, so it's behavior in the circuit is effectively unchanged.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Thread Information