Thread: New member with newly acquired Valencias

New member with newly acquired Valencias

Hello
    I have a pair of original Valencia cabs and a choice of horns, 811 and 511 with 802D compression drivers and 800N networks. I expect to take delivery on a pair of original 416-16z drivers. Readily I notice the 511 won't fit into the cabinet but some people prefer it over the 811 due to its wider frequency range. Is it worth the trouble to reconfigure the speaker so that the 511 is workable and is there another xover that anyone recommends in the Valencia set-up. I believe fun times are ahead.

Best regards,
    Phersu

Block off and seal the opening for the 811 in the cab, set the 511 on top. That easy. The 511 horn sounds better crossed at 800Hz rather than 500Hz anyway. Truly to be crossed at 500Hz, you really need to jump into a large format Altec like a 288 driver on a bigger horn. The 1"ers just can't quite do it cleanly. Nice speakers by the way, I love mine.

Thanks for your input.
    Do you like the stock xovers and have you tried anything else.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hatrack71 View Post
    Block off and seal the opening for the 811 in the cab, set the 511 on top. That easy. The 511 horn sounds better crossed at 800Hz rather than 500Hz anyway. Truly to be crossed at 500Hz, you really need to jump into a large format Altec like a 288 driver on a bigger horn. The 1"ers just can't quite do it cleanly. Nice speakers by the way, I love mine.
    It depends on whether your Valencia pair is 846A or 846B.

The 846B cabinet is ported with round ports near the woofer, so blocking of the 811 opening is acceptable.

The 846A however, is ported on either side of the 811 horn. Block off the 811 opening, and the cabinet is then sealed, not ported, and the tuning is altered.

Before you change anything, try recapping the crossovers, replacing all the internal wiring, and adding bracing to the cabinet. You will probably quit there.

Then I have the 846B, but instead of having round ports mine are square ports. As far as the xover, I was considering opening the can and making some parts changes but figured if it didn't have merit of its own I would sell it to someone that wanted it more. But if you stongly feel that a cap change would make a big difference I'll try it.

Thanks again, more suggestions welcome please.

Thread Information