Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proud new owner of L300s

Keeps 'em working under the hottest of conditions too!
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Thanks

I have removed the transducers and removed the surrounds. They literally just fell apart and could be rubbed off for the most part. Just have to grab some MEK and clean the basket edges off

Will post some pics soon!

And glue the surrounds to the BACK of the cones ...

Quote Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
    Thanks

I have removed the transducers and removed the surrounds. They literally just fell apart and could be rubbed off for the most part. Just have to grab some MEK and clean the basket edges off

Will post some pics soon!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    And glue the surrounds to the BACK of the cones ...
    You bet

Rick Cobb also sells the dust caps for $4 per piece. I just recieved them today.

I tried refoaming a pair of 136A'S a few weeks ago with one of his kits. Instead of using tone cd supplied I tried shimming, one was no problem the other not so good fot it has a slight rub. I got another kit, this time I will try tone cd and see if it works better for me

Quote Originally Posted by perchdog View Post
    Rick Cobb also sells the dust caps for $4 per piece. I just recieved them today.

I tried refoaming a pair of 136A'S a few weeks ago with one of his kits. Instead of using tone cd supplied I tried shimming, one was no problem the other not so good fot it has a slight rub. I got another kit, this time I will try tone cd and see if it works better for me

Dang. I mentioned I had a dent in a dust cap and he never mentioned he sold them Oh well. I plan on grabbing another set of surrounds and a CR82235 recone kit just to hang onto down the road. I am going to see if I can get the dent out then go from there.

Here is a pic of the rear of the cone with as much of the surround off as I dare to try.

Should I try to get more off? If so how?

Here is a pic of the pair

And here is a snap of the serial number badge on one.

Rick shipped my surround kit today so here is to hoping Canadian Customs doesnt hold it long

I think I will just stick with the test tone route. Seems easiest and looks like it works well

Hey Turtlewax. That dinged dome is easy to fix with a vacuum cleaner. Just suck it out back to its original shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Hey Turtlewax. That dinged dome is easy to fix with a vacuum cleaner. Just suck it out back to its original shape.

Who's turtlewax

Ya, I am going to attempt to pop that dent out when the surrounds are successfully re-installed. Seems like a bad idea with how easy it is to rub the voice coil ATM.

Sweet!
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

With foam that old and crumbly, rubbing it all off with your fingers is sufficient. The picture appears that you got most of it removed. The glue applied for the new surround should bond with any viable foam or glue that's remaining.

I found that when it's still a little gooey, I seem to get better results using a little MEK on a qtip to remove as much as possible.

Unless you were going to cut off the dome and use shims instead of Rick's tone cd, you're correct to leave it be until you get the surrounds replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
    Ya, I am going to attempt to pop that dent out when the surrounds are successfully re-installed. Seems like a bad idea with how easy it is to rub the voice coil ATM.
    Hey Turtlewax...

Nice to see someone actually thinking it through... have fun, take your time and be rewarded!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by gferrell View Post
    Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    With foam that old and crumbly, rubbing it all off with your fingers is sufficient. The picture appears that you got most of it removed. The glue applied for the new surround should bond with any viable foam or glue that's remaining.

I found that when it's still a little gooey, I seem to get better results using a little MEK on a qtip to remove as much as possible.

Unless you were going to cut off the dome and use shims instead of Rick's tone cd, you're correct to leave it be until you get the surrounds replaced.
    Thanks for your input. I was not sure if the cone could take any MEK without damaging it. I will try with a qtip to get the last remnants off. I wont push the issue either as I am sure the new adhesive will bond fine, and again your input reassures me

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Hey Turtlewax...

Nice to see someone actually thinking it through... have fun, take your time and be rewarded!

Widget
    I grew up with these speakers lingering in the background, although never used much, and I always knew they were special. I don't think my Dad realized that new speakers weren't better either. He bought a few sets here and there and the funny thing is these just crushed them for SQ. I feel a responsibility to restore them and share their abilities with a new generation.

I had a set of Paradigm Monitor 11's in my HT room for fronts, and I am flabbergasted at how much more the L300s bring to the sound stage and how much more full and warm they sound. Just need to find a center that compliments the sound and has a finish as beautiful.

Thanks for all your help folks. Really loving this forum

Hi turtletrax.

I thought I blew my re-edge job on one of my 136A's. As it turns out the glue holding spider on the frames was dried and crumbly, approx 2/3 of the spider was basically flapping in the breeze. I pulled the other driver and sure enough the same thing was happening but not as advanced.

You may want to check that before installing your new surrounds. Both the spiders appeared completly flat, but when trying to get a knive under where they loosened, the problem was super apparent.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by perchdog View Post
    Hi turtletrax.

I thought I blew my re-edge job on one of my 136A's. As it turns out the glue holding spider on the frames was dried and crumbly, approx 2/3 of the spider was basically flapping in the breeze. I pulled the other driver and sure enough the same thing was happening but not as advanced.

You may want to check that before installing your new surrounds. Both the spiders appeared completly flat, but when trying to get a knive under where they loosened, the problem was super apparent.

Thanks perchdog, I will check the spiders for sure now. More great advice!

Lots to soak up here :-)

Well, I am happy to say that I received my kit from Rick and it was perfect. Awesome packaging, quick shipping and exactly as stated. I had everything prepped but no matter where I looked I could not find MEK in my area. I scraped what I could of the remaining adhesive from the basket and cone and gave the basket edge a light sanding and went for it.

I have them running the test tone now and one was "ticking" so I found the area that was slapping and re-glued it. Other than that it was actually quite simple

I also checked the spiders as per Perchdog's recommendations and they are fully glued. So I think my last question is how does one know if the magnets are in need of remagging? I am pretty sure they were not abused enough to require it, but would be interested in knowing if there are any clues.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Edit: I almost forgot to say that the dent in the dust cap popped out when it got the 30hz tone Might have to buy a lottery ticket today!

Thread Information