Thread: best center channel to go with xpl200's

best center channel to go with xpl200's

Group,

I'm not sure if this belongs in this area or not, but I thought I would give it a shot. I currently have my xpl200 pulling double duty as both 2 channel stereo and apart of a 5 channel surround system (front left/right).

I have a JBL S-center as the current center. However, this isn't in the same league as the XPL's, and doesn't quite match in sound.

Is there any center channel speakers you would recommend that would compliment the xpl200's?

Thanks,
    Brett

1st, consider using no center (phantom mode). If your primary surround listening positions are near to on-center, this approach can work quite well. Never assume that you "need" a center.

The PC600 is a great center in any system, and might closely match your XPLs. My second choice would be the LC2 which has a big, full-bodied sound. Part of my objection to the S-Center is the sound of the plastic cabinet. Both the above suggestions eliminate that. The EC35 is another less-costly option, but equally hard to find and lacks the better drivers of the others.

Another alternative, if you can find one, is an XPL90 (or a pair if you need symmetry). They don't have the wonderful midrange dome, but still have that XPL sound.

I'm planning on building the top end of an XPL-200A out of spare parts (even have the crossover) and giving the 115H-1 the same volume and tuning as the XPL-90. I shouldn't have to butcher the network too much, just remove anything preventing the 115H-1 from going low. Planning on the layout from left to right as 115H-1, 046Ti over 093Ti, port tube.

Though, as Brett is aware (still waiting on a simple set of drawings from me), I have much on my plate and progress is slow.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

I never heard of phantom setting. Time to get out the manual and look into that....

As for centers, the PC600 looks like a nice unit on paper. I wish there was one around here to hear. I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for a used one. From what I've seen, in the used range they are in my price range.

A pair of XPL 90's would be slick also, but I rarely see those. From an asthetic standpoint, a set of those in black lacquer would look nice. Never having heard a set of the 90's, I'd assume they are voiced similar and of decent quality.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
    Brett

Nobody has ever been disappointed in the PC600, AFAIK. I've used mine with several different setups, including vintage (L250 and L150A) and it's a great match.
    A pair of speakers as "center" is going to be prone to a variety of issues, one speaker is better.

Thread Information