Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A couple of things...

Following experiment I would like to add: I recorded an LP (Pink Floyd: The dark side of the moon) with half the speed 16 1/3 rpm and doubled it with a sound edtor. Highs were remarkeble cleaner than before. I had invested in a good stylus before and pure LP playing is o.k. For real usage the RIAA equalization must be changed, although it was not disturbing so far, and the TT should have low rumble.

I agree

I know what you mean, Widget. You may recall my recent wrangling over my beloved but malfunctioning Proceed CDP-2. It's DAC is very sweet indeed. The repair price is forcing me to look into other playback options... but the last time I tried SACD or DVD-A players, their Red Book CD performance left a lot to be desired.

Vinyl, done right, is still the cat's meow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    A friend of mine has been using a mega dollar analog turntable setup feeding an Alesis Masterlink. With this system he creates 24 bit 96KHz digital recordings of his analog collection... he claims that there is virtually no loss of quality. I have been tempted to get a Masterlink myself so that I could playback some of his discs... without a Masterlink or compatible player it isn't possible to playback the high res digital CDs. You could always downsample the discs to Redbook CD resolution, but then you flatten the image and kill the sound as Rudy was describing...

BTW: Rudy, by using a higher quality outboard DAC, I get a lot of that analog depth and soundstage from Redbook CDs. I won't pretend that they are as good as analog, but they are certainly better than what I had come to expect from CDs.

Widget

Pop and clicks on vinyl!

But vinyl, done right, is still the cat's meow.[/QUOTE]

I support anybody to transfer his vinyl to digital! And I always agree that the latest stuff of digital finally sound equal or better than analog!
    At the end of the discussion I normaly gently asked if I can get their 'bad' soundig LP's.
    A sucess oriented way to get great music on LP! Wash them and play on a EMT 948 with a TSD15 with a needle that don't go down in the dirt of the grooves.

The only problem is to keep the friendship when the former Owner hear the quality of his ex-LP.
    It is hard to remember who was the former owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Kleimann
    Burwen/KLH also made a very fine "Dynamic Noise Filter" model DNF1201A, a high-frequency noise supression that shut down the highs below a certain adjustable threshold. It did this on a 'sliding' frequency hinge point that varied up and down according to the frequency content of the signal above the threshold level, instantly opening only the frequency ranges that actually contained material and shutting down all frequencies above the frequencies of the signal content. This made for a very effective single-ended noise reduction system that was great for tape hiss, vinyl surface noise, and hiss in FM broadcasts. It, too, was easy to set and very benign in action. And, unlike Dolby B and C which boosts the high frequencies during the recording, or the much more aggressive DBX type II which is totally unnatural and preactically unlistenable in its encoded form, this system works with normal recordings, therefore usable on any program material that was noisy. I own two of these, one branded Burwen Research and the other KLH Burwen Research.
    Funny someone should mention this. I have one of these DNF1201s (KLH/Burwen labelled) just sitting on a shelf. I did hook it up recently, and verified it still works perfectly (no surprise there). Still looks nearly new, amazingly enough. If anyone wants it, I'd consider "entertaining" trades...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Those Burwens

The Burwen DNF1201A is gr-r-reat on FM and TV broadcast to get rid of the hiss.

And the Burwen TNE7000A is tops in pop and Tick suppression.

I need to sell my extras of these too; one of each is enough.

Guaranteed to work

Offers? Trades? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Kleimann
    The Burwen DNF1201A is gr-r-reat on FM and TV broadcast to get rid of the hiss.
    This is definitely true. Especially good for those public radio classical music broadcasts... it seems to work at getting rid of a lot of the "swishy" sounding noise from multipath and such...

Regards,
    Gordon.

I would first try pop and click reduction in the digital domain. Rip your LP record to a maximum quality variable bit-rate MP3 file. Purchase a copy of Audio Cleaning Lab and use the various digital filters in this software. You'll be quite pleased with the results.
    Yikes don't do that. If can get your hands on Cool Edit 2000 with the noise reduction and pop and click plug ins rip it as a 32bit floating file. You can do all you processsing in that format and then dither the file to the standard 44.1 16 bit format when you are done. Last thing you want to do is changes in the native 16 bit format and don't even think about converting to MP3 until you have a completed 16 bit wave file to start with. You need to have the availablity of the extra bits or the lower bits, your fine detail gets lost and obscured. There are several different options on the dither so you can choose what sounds best to you. I made copies of quite a few of my favorite vinly probably never to be released albums and the quality is better that you would think. 24/96 now were talking!

Rob

Thread Information