Thread: finest rare etc etc ...

finest rare etc etc ...

Don't know about fine or rare, but they are cool looking.

Widget

Holy cow! I can assure you that they are rare; I've never seen anything like them and I live here in town. Haven't been able to Google up anything so far. Does anyone know anything about this company? The build quality brings a tear to the eye.

My favorite L.A. speaker mystery to this point has been the Vondee, Los Angeles. A friend owns two somewhat different possibly prototype 15" coaxial field coil drivers of this make. They seem to be inspired by the Altec Lansing 601 and at least one of them is of similar early 1940s vintage and used the Lansing cone kit with 2" voice coil and phenolic spider.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Holy cow! I can assure you that they are rare; I've never seen anything like them and I live here in town. Haven't been able to Google up anything so far. Does anyone know anything about this company? The build quality brings a tear to the eye.
    hope you can get in touch with the seller,

and

give us the (superior) story.

My favorite L.A. speaker mystery to this point has been the Vondee, Los Angeles. A friend owns two somewhat different possibly prototype 15" coaxial field coil drivers of this make. They seem to be inspired by the Altec Lansing 601 and at least one of them is of similar early 1940s vintage and used the Lansing cone kit with 2" voice coil and phenolic spider

any pictures of those?

Produced from 1958 to 62 in Culver City then later in North Hollywood Ca, and later yet in Sacramento Ca, these are the finest small horns of their type. These are all brass/bronze constructions with workmanship that approaches that of pure art objects. They are a matched pair, in extremely fine condition, both have serial number 022, and are of course miniature versions of the iconic Altec Lansing 180 series theatre horn, but for home Hi-Fi use. I've owned these for longer than I can remember, circa 1969? and in 40+ years of collecting have only seen two other pairs. I ordered these bare, and as an enthusiast, I thought I would damp them as I saw fit. I've left them nude and un-coated but not purely for purpose of display. Rather, in bare brass, these are incredibly articulate, and provide an inner detail that has no equal. They require a careful selection of both driver and diaphragm and have a flange that accepts all common types. These are only as good as their surrounding components, but it has been my experience that these will reveal a level of detail that will stun you. Things you've listened to for years will suddenly have a grip on you again, as your ear is drawn to new phenomena. Properly attenuated they are not the least bit shrill or sibilant, and you will marvel at the enhanced soundstage, as well as the realism imparted to a cymbal splash,a piano, voice and of course brass. Miles or Winton will never have sounded so good in your listening room. I am old and I offer these reluctantly. As for other horns I've owned many, including Vitavox, JBL, Tru Sonic and of course Altec. I've had a hard time with the WAF (wife approval factor) when it came to my Hi-Fi system in our home. My wife really loved these as objets d'art. I will ship these worldwide by USPS EMS trackable and insured. They will be professionally packed in double isolation. Shipping at actual cost, please disregard the autocalculator.

WOW!

Rare and beautiful too!

Ron sends...
    JBL Pro for home use!

And you have two! How cool is that? Awesome. Keep us posted. Can the OP just screw on a modern compression driver?

Thread Information