Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Large studio monitor clone take two

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnes View Post
    Thanks Barry. What's next? I beer or perhaps many beers chillin in the sofa listenin' to music. I need to get myself technics turntables, an Urei 1620 mixer and much more vinyl to keep occupied. Swaping gear is nice but from some point on only more music can be the anwser. Since I now have a pair of state of the art monitors + some pretty gear I shall learn to produce music and my goal is to release a pressed single or if I happen to be good at it an LP from the regions of house/trance/hardcore/dnb.
    Check out a bozak if you can, a bit more quiet imo,
    bozure.com has some interesting DIY rotary mixer options also....

Vid anyone? Clark Terry - Blue Monk:

+ a Happy bystander:

Stunning Work!

I see you used lambswool damping material. Same as in my EV clones.

I specially like the placement of the 9V battery. COOL

Obsolete
    + a Happy bystander:

It is so awesome to see you guys completing these great projects!

Yup - 9 packs of Monacor MDM-3 inside the cabs. The battery placement was chosen for easy access. I was debating on screwing the holders somewhere inside the cab's accessed via one of the ports - that would be kinda cool too.

G: mine aren't done yet. Still awaiting grill frames, cloth and must order 300$ worth of badges.

I've been listening a whole lot over the weekend and love these speakers so far. Very impressive sound. I can confidently say I'm no longer looking forward to bulding any tad based speakers in the future since JBL gear is so awesome. Guidos clones make me sooo jealous but none the less I'm very appreciative of these 4344's. Really great loudspeakers to own.

They look Great! I agree about the battery placement, much better solution than having to remove the driver to access the board.
    Enjoy!!!
    Just Play Music.

My project is finally and definitely past the 50% complete point. I'm lacking glass fiber cab filling, grill frames, two lpad knobs, big grill badges + foilcal repros, some foam seal and a bit of TLC. Actually that means I'm nearly done with the clones!

I recieved quite a big box of goodies from the US moments ago including a fine pair of 2235's with original recones, two pairs of double knitted? grill cloth (black and blue) and <drum roll> a pair of 2307's from the one and only Audiohack1 aka Barry. Not only did the gent charge me near to none but he also generously managed to supply me with a set of inch standard thread bolts enabling me to secure everything together properly when the time comes. BIG UP BARRY!

Here are a few photos to make me more credible:

I have some fresh thoughts on the so called re-edgeing process that seems to be popular among us to cut down speaker servicing costs. I have resurrounded two pairs of speakers so far (LE14H and 2235) with Rick Cobb replacements and as awesome as it is to be able to keep speakers in operating condition at a fraction of the original recone cost - aftermarket surrounds aren't a comparable replacement to the real deal. I'd say that the original foam is 50% less rigid (twice the amount of cone depre)-> what probably means more bottom end and less boominess as I suppose. For now this statement is just an assumption since I did the ressuround on the LE14H's when the original foams were partially torn - I will verify it fairly soon since I have to remove the 2235 woofs either way to stuff the cabs with glass fiber. A quick swap for the original JBL pair will show me how it is.

I'm glad you finally got it all! And I am happy to help. I'll be standing by to see what you do next, keep up the good work! I wish I could hear it from here.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Here are a few photos to make me more credible:
    Looking great! I am sure the listening will be worth all the effort!

I do have a comment though. I wish you and everyone else would attach their pictures instead of using imbedded links... down the road, coming back to posts like this one below is always a bummer.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I understand your concerns Widget. I post pictures on external servers, because I post this thread on two other Polish forums, one of them doesn't have a picture server at all. I save time this way. Hopefully photobucket isn't going anywhere.

I recieved a package from sign-shop
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There is something really majestic about the big blue baffles ....

Warm the 2235's up with a bit of this .... http://www.mixcloud.com/johndigweed/...-cruise-miami/

Rich

Pretty damned amazing. Well done. I can almost hear them (wish I could !).

Bravura...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

It's been a while and I've still not finished. I've done quite a bit of little things like tidying up internal speaker cables with zip ties, rearranging lpad spacing to align with foilcals, repairing transit damage to the grill frames and drilling mounting holes in them, 2405 horn respray and some other even smaller yet important tasks one of which was adding proper internal cabinet damping. That + a bit of nearly scientific level tweaking made all the difference in the world when it comes to base response. Much more tight and punchy now. All I have left to do is to strech the grill cloth and mount grill emblems followed by playing a few records while drinking beer.

The soundstage is huge, powerful, detail abundant and has that ultimate open air event feeling while retaining the ability to play just as good on low volumes however I prefer to listen anywhere between moderately loud and painfully loud

Alternative grill pegs

Almost ready:

I'm glad you figured out the bass response! How much and what kind of fill did you end up using?

I used copmressed mineral rockwool 3cm thick, placed on lower half of rear and side walls. It really helped the speakers out with the lowest octave, flattening out the 2235 response and allowing me to properly adjust the spl in the whole band. Great great improvement. The second pair will have the whole rear and sidewalls dampened + i will have sheepwool layed on top to prevent excessive dusting. I still believe the 2235ers with original surrounds will perform even better - time will tell.

Thread Information