Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Large studio monitor clone take two

ivica, the midbass drivers can be seen on the previous page. I have 4pcs. of 2123h's lined up.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnes View Post
    ivica, the midbass drivers can be seen on the previous page. I have 4pcs. of 2123h's lined up.
    O, yes, more than needed, so prepare for 2245 (or 2x 2235) project....

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Those are in Canada. I wouldn't buy them as the recones are aftermarket and his installs usually are a bit sloppy.
    Yes, I have made a mistake about the country.
    The problem about good 2245 basket is the first thing,
    and the second is: in a few years foam surround on original C8R2245 would become rotten, and (I believe at that time may be no C8R2245 would be available by JBL)
    what would be then the solution????

Do you think that 2241H is better initial staring point?
    From the point of "price view" this is may be not too bad "idea"?

Or we have to wait some time for China production become available, such as:

http://hnbaudio.en.made-in-china.com...er-2265H-.html

2245 and 2241 are totaly different baskets and different sounds. 2240 is same basket as 2245, and sounds a bit closer to the 2245 than the 2241. 2240 can be reconed as a 100% 2245 (except for the rear foilcap). But then again, only a 2245 sounds like a 2245. One local dude has/had a pair of 2245. I bought a single unit from him a year ago and it was as advertized.

Oups. They sold.
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai..._driversmint_/

What's with the thread hijack? A rule of thumb with JBL drivers for certain aplications is: get the proper drivers, or forget it.

Back on topic: it took me nearly the whole day to align orders for all the caps, cables, lpads, terminals, coils, resistors and what not. I need to chill now, my eyes are rectangular from the pc screen.

2245 and 2241 are totaly different baskets and different sounds. 2240 is same basket as 2245, and sounds a bit closer to the 2245 than the 2241. 2240 can be reconed as a 100% 2245 (except for the rear foilcap). But then again, only a 2245 sounds like a 2245. ....................
    Well, my question is based from JBL original documents:
    http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2241.pdf

where it is stated:

"....In most applications, the 2241G/H can provide more
    low frequency response, 3 dB more output and less
    distortion than the 2240G/H, with little or no enclosure
    retuning.
    ......."

^^^JBL claims the same thing about the 2226 vs 2225 (for having both, it is clear the 2225 sounds deeper than the 2226, even though the 2226 can handle more). The 2240 has Fs=30Hz while the 2241 has Fs=35Hz. It's statement, JBL didn't define what is "lower frequency". Is it 20Hz or is it 50Hz? When JBL says "more lower frequency", do they may mean the driver can handle more, just because the power rating is increased? Or is it for the same volt imput?. Most likely, JBL could also well claim that the 2241 can output more "lower frequency" than the 2245 itself, which would be true...

For having worked in advertising for a long time, I learned to decipher it...

I'm trying to lay out the x-over parts to measure out the board for them. Any suggestions? I have a nice stash of members x-overs pics, must study to get some inspiration.

A pallet of brand new 2242Hs

Hello Gentlemen, I have been lurking around this site for a couple years and dreaming about cloning a 43XX myself and to be honest have ended up with a JBL addiction and an ebay addiction. I am enjoying some biamped L7s at the moment but could not resist sharing this particular photo and eBay sale. It may give some hope to other would be 4345 cloners that the some excellent JBL parts to had even if we have make some mods to the crossovers. You'll need 600K for this lot though. It probably a forum members business but makes great reading, Enjoy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McIntosh-Mar...-/380386905362

Cored Inductors

Hi Maciek, I am not trying to put you off mission with the crossovers but don't most cloners now use non cored inductors to limit signal distortion. I know this is more expensive but other than the LF inductor (because it becomes massive) the cost now days is reasonable. I think Guido's earlier pic showed air cored. Just asking, since you haven't put the solder to them yet and may be able to exchange.

PS I am sure the earlier thread had some photos of xover clone which may help with layout and coil orientation.

PPS Please continue to share this project with us. Looking forward to the cabinet pics and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnes View Post
    I'm trying to lay out the x-over parts to measure out the board for them. Any suggestions? I have a nice stash of members x-overs pics, must study to get some inspiration.
    Hi Maciek, been following your thread for a while, you must be very excited.
    Here are a couple of pictures I took when I got mine, hope they help. Have fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Just Play Music.

I was debating using air coils, but their size made me go the iron core route. I figured since JBL is using them for decades now they can't be that much of a sound degrader. My drivers aren't NOS either (although in very good shape) so I don't see a point in investing in fat gauge coils.

I was at my mates place today for the first fire up of his 4345 without woofers and lenses yet and despite the lack of bass filling the sound was very crisp fast sharp and intriguing. I was afraid it might not be up to expectation, but thankfully it was very nice with that ultimate "live" feel to it. Krunchy thank's for the pics. I think I figured out a good way to layout the parts on the boards.

I was debating using air coils, but their size made me go the iron core route.
    Just watch the DCR especially when using Air Coils for bass crossovers where you need high values. There is a good chance you have difficulty finding them with the same DCR as the original corred inductors. The difference can be significant. I will look for Air Coils but more often than not I couldn't find them with the same or lower DCR.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

The correct DCR air coils were availible at my Vendor of choice. I just didn't want them.

^^^JBL claims the same thing about the 2226 vs 2225 (for having both, it is clear the 2225 sounds deeper than the 2226, even though the 2226 can handle more). The 2240 has Fs=30Hz while the 2241 has Fs=35Hz. It's statement, JBL didn't define what is "lower frequency". Is it 20Hz or is it 50Hz? When JBL says "more lower frequency", do they may mean the driver can handle more, just because the power rating is increased? Or is it for the same volt imput?. Most likely, JBL could also well claim that the 2241 can output more "lower frequency" than the 2245 itself, which would be true...

For having worked in advertising for a long time, I learned to decipher it...
    I can only get from simulation that with 250 Lit-box, tuned at 40Hz seems that 2241 "goes lower freq. then 2240",
    but that depends on reference level. With same INPUT POWER the curves are almost the same behavior.
    2240= Red, 2241= Blue
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information