Thread: Large studio monitor clone take two

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Large studio monitor clone take two

Hello.

As some of you might remember nearly a year ago I did some heavy spamming on this forum regarding the topic of 4345 clones. I sold the project to a fellow diyer audiophile who most likely browses these forums alot since afaik all he has left to do is mount some crossovers in the boxes.

Currently undergoing are some heavy preparations in my household to build a pair of 4344 clones except this time around I'm not the one laying down the cash. Apparently my dad happened to gradually build empathy for my long gone 4345 project which he disliked earlier. As you can guess I have been assigned to "take care of things and make stuff happen" not so uncommon in terms of parent child relationships. The idea of doing a jbl build is much more interesting than taking out the garbage so I committed to help.

So far I have gathered a nice pair of 2123h's 2405's with new dias on the way and still in the mail are pairs of 2235's and 2425h's. Also managed to source a pair of nos d8r2425's. Clearly a set of 2307's is still missing. (Anyone with surplus 2307's please do not hesitate to contact me.)

After a quick glance at the driver selection it becomes apparent the crossover weapon of choice was to build a pair of cc'ed 4344 mkII for the top 3-way and mate it with an active xover. But there is a but. The patron of this project assumed the finished product will only require a quick swap of cables from one pair of speakers to the other in order to listen to some music and refuses to stack up more gear in the living room. And we all know that means full passive...

Would it be a very bad idea to simply pretend the 2235's are me150h's? I assume pretty bed since they are completely different beasts. I'm stuck. And dumbfolded.

All opinions are welcome.

I might add, that there is a slight possibility I will manage to convince pops that active biamping is the proper way to go but that will most likely involve me buying a full set of active biamping gear and presenting it to him which I plan to do either way since I want to have this kind of gear for my own enjoyment. But it will take a while...

I might start a thread in general discussion because there are loads of options in terms gear selection for this matter many of which most likely are straight up failures.

BTW, will post pics of all the speakers together when they arrive. I'll also add that take three is already in the works since finding nice pairs of speakers often involves buying less attractive pairs too

I naturally wonder when, exactly, this problem came up. If it was on the table to begin with, then the sensible thing to do would have been to resolve it then or buy 2122's instead and build the full cc version of the crossover for the 4344, to be biamped later. If it came up later, that's a planning problem, and you are stuck with either: 1) finding a systems engineer to design you a crossover,or; 2) marshalling your rhetorical and financial resources and meeting your father half-way with a biamp setup.

But, really speaking, for either the 4344 or MKII, biamping will yield the better sonics (I say this based on my experience with the 4345), so in the end it is the only option. To do something else as a temporary measure will just add expense overall. If you must do something as an interim solution, I think the best thing would be to get respected but inexpensive biamp electronics like the Ashley crossover and a clean used sound reinforcement amp for the lows and upgrade when you can, selling the first equipment to recoup some, perhaps most, of the cost.

Thanks for the input Dave. The problem surfaced when I started explaining how all is supposed to work after the jollyroger go ahead buy me some speakers son faze which was after 3 pairs were already paid for in mail. An unbiased opinion really sheds some bright light on the case. It appears I simply must push the active setup idea through, the sooner the better as in the end it really is the only solution capable of giving the outcome expcted.

Hopefully the topic of passive crossovers will not surface in this thread again. Now if I could only lay my hands on a pair of 2307's... Does anyone know a source for knockoffs? I'm shure I've seen some on pictures, but never got a manufacturer name. I know coral has their iteration, but they are ever less of them on the market.

Guido can get you ME150H

Pos, that actually might be the second best solution, or even first best if a combo of amps, and a crossover is disregarded.

If you remove the massring of your 2235 to turn them into 2234 they will be very close response-wise to ME150

I have a pair of 2307's and a pair of the Kenji or Kenrick or Ken-someone's knock off 2308's that I could sell.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Sadly, it seems that the horns were sold some time ago. I had two pairs, some 2307's and some H91's. I sold the 2307's recently to a forum member who is building some 4345's, and I had forgotten I sent the H91's to someone in Spain several years ago. I apologize for the unnecessary excitement.
    I hate it when that happens... I've done the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I have a pair of 2307's and a pair of the Kenji or Kenrick or Ken-someone's knock off 2308's that I could sell.
    I have a pair of Kenji's Kenrick Sound 2308 clones... they are excellent.

Widget

SHIT!

I snatched a pair of 2231's with 2235 cones (could be seen in pics described as actual nontampered fotos) off ebay last week. The speakers that arrived are 2231's with generic cones.

Why do people do shit like this. I will sort it out I guess. I can't accept this kind of fraud. After all what is paypal for. BTW the seller had most pics hosted on an auxilary site and took them down after the auction completed. Thankfully there is one pic on ebay host that clearly indicates a different cone and different baskets too (marks and writing on the frame).

That and a courier service smashed a 1kusd turntable I sold to a fellow audiophile in the last week. Ridiculous luck.

Now i'm frightened to crack open the 2426h's that just arrived.

I will certinaly get Kenrick 2308's if I can't get hold of originals. There is a nice auction that will end in a week, so I might have the 2307's sorted too. If not i will nag those who generously offer to part with their private surplus (1audiohack).

Still pissed furious. My anger management and meditation was going so well untill today...

One more question. Are air coils advised over iron core coils? My mate is sticking to original spec. I'm thinking of mixing it up. Any insight?

Quote Originally Posted by Amnes View Post
    Still pissed furious. My anger management and meditation was going so well untill today...
    Just when you start thinking you can go out in public again this shit happens... damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnes View Post
    One more question. Are air coils advised over iron core coils? My mate is sticking to original spec. I'm thinking of mixing it up. Any insight?
    I always use air core when possible... make sure you use a large enough wire gauge so that the DCR doesn't increase.

Widget

Good to know regarding the coils. I guess I will only stick to iron core on the coils neighbouring lpads.

BTW i have filed a paypal claim. The seller is playing stupid. Even the serial #'s don't match. See for yourselves:

Advertised: http://www.monalbum.fr/Album=WZQFFJUG

I think it's clear the advert fotos show a pair of 2231a's with JBL original stamped and chalked 2235 cones with a refoam job.

Recieved: http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...y/JBL%202231a/

A set with aftermarket generic 15" cones, not even 2235 knockoffs, no markings, nothing.

It's the first time I've been screwed with on ebay. I hope I will not stay with a set of 700USD shitworth JBL drivers.

Thread Information