Thread: l 88 plus

l 88 plus

I recently aquired a set of l88plus speakers. I am IN LOVE with these things. I do not know very much about them as I have not been able to find very much in the way info about them. I did discover that they are considered to be controll room moniter speakers. Can any one help me fill in the blanks?

Welcome!

This is a link to the library at this site. A bit of digging may answer some questions for you.
    Congrats on your new acquisition.

I have always been a fan of the L88 for the look. The L88 plus is also cool looking.

Quote Originally Posted by bjsmith1963 View Post
    I recently aquired a set of l88plus speakers. I am IN LOVE with these things. I do not know very much about them as I have not been able to find very much in the way info about them. I did discover that they are considered to be controll room moniter speakers. Can any one help me fill in the blanks?
    The link mentioned above seems missing, but here is one that will shed a bit more light on the subject. As for "control room monitors", the L100 was a domesticated version of the 4310/4311 control room monitor. The "L88" was the same speaker minus the midrange driver to reduce cost... and the "L88 Plus" was designed so that it could have the additional midrange and crossover added at a future date. If yours is a two way, it is still an L88, if the mid driver has been added it is now the acoustical equivalent to the L100/4311.

Here is a pic of the very cool looking foam grille that originally came with your speakers. I doubt yours still have them as the foam very rarely survives. There is a forum member who makes replacement foam grilles under the name Foam Trends, I believe he could recreate the correct grilles for you if you wanted as a special order.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

L88 plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    The link mentioned above seems missing, but here is one that will shed a bit more light on the subject. As for "control room monitors", the L100 was a domesticated version of the 4310/4311 control room monitor. The "L88" was the same speaker minus the midrange driver to reduce cost... and the "L88 Plus" was designed so that it could have the additional midrange and crossover added at a future date. If yours is a two way, it is still an L88, if the mid driver has been added it is now the acoustical equivalent to the L100/4311.

Here is a pic of the very cool looking foam grille that originally came with your speakers. I doubt yours still have them as the foam very rarely survives. There is a forum member who makes replacement foam grilles under the name Foam Trends, I believe he could recreate the correct grilles for you if you wanted as a special order.

Widget
    Thank you! Thankyou! thankyou! I new I had something specieal. I at one time had a voice of the theater counsel style speaker system,,but alass it was lostin a fire! So to have another chance at haveing a set of altec speakers again is truly a rare treet! By the way these do have the up grade.they just sound awesome. Icurrently have them hooked upto a1981 pioneer sx3800. Thanks again! I look forwardto talking again. yours in sweet sound,B.J.

So to have another chance at haveing a set of altec speakers again is truly a rare treet!

What did I miss?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thank you! Thank you! thankyou! I new I had something specieal. I at one time had a voice of the theater counsel style speaker system,,but alass it was lostin a fire! So to have another chance at haveing a set of altec speakers again is truly a rare treet! By the way these do have the up grade.they just sound awesome. Icurrently have them hooked upto a1981 pioneer sx3800. Thanks again! I look forwardto talking again. yours in sweet sound,B.J.
    these speakers are from the JAMES B Lansing company ... Not ALTEC Lansing ...
    they are not ALTEC speakers ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

What is so refreshing about this thread is his enjoyment of the sound - music. When it's good, it's good.. Hope he enjoys them for many years to come.

For the benefit of posterity, here are my L88s (not L88Plus). They are not perfect, but..

L-88 Plus Tech Sheet

This might come in handy.

By the way these do have the up grade
    so yours have 3 (three) drivers on the front ??
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

Widget

Good news - I may soon have reproductions of these grilles available for about $100/pair.

Need information on how they were attached, frame dimensions if there was one.

I currently also have a pair of L-88's. Always seemed to like 2 way systems.
    They are very enjoyable , but I don't have an available spot to hook them up.

Hot speaker wire sets in the house are currently pushing .... a/d/s L-1290's & ESS AMT10b's & JBL120Ti's
    & Ohm F's & JBL 250ti's and even a little Gallo.

my L-88's (oh, the 120's & 250's got into the pic too)

Thread Information