Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H93 2311 horns

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Just for my curiosity: Have you tried Selenium HL 14-50 with JBL 'slant lenses' 2308. working together...
    Yes, prefer without. But, I doubt the JBL lens works optimally with the HL 14-50 exponential bell. I suspect the relatively straight H93 is purposely designed so that acoustical energy impacts the lens correctly - it's designed as an assembly (HL93). As someone above said, it is not really a pure exponential horn. With the HL 14-50, the bell is what determines acoustical propagation (it doesn't need a lens).

Consider these : JMLC-400 , E-JMLC-600. LeCleac'h horns made in Poland.

Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post
    Consider these : JMLC-400 , E-JMLC-600. LeCleac'h horns made in Poland.
    Wow, great stuff. Thanks. An excellent example of the endless possibilities with today's tools. An endless experiment. Excellent hobby! Mike

I had some time this morning to experiment with the onboard design program Mazatrol on one of our Mazak lathes today. I wanted to see if it would/could cut a continuously varying curve without having to write it in G. The short answer is no. Undeterred I input the measurements I posted in this thread some time ago and cut a series of tapers 0.100' long with a 0.500" radius programmed on each transition for smoothing just to see what it would cut and after a couple of passes got this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Looks like it came out pretty clean!

Yeah not bad thanks.

I have been thinking about working up a 1.5" version with an attempt at a better termination and or a more rapid flair rate/profile (oblate spheroid?) since these 2311 are the weakest link in my 4350's. I wish I knew more about horn profiles as it seems that what I really need to do now is create that part and cut and test.

What I probably should do is just park a 4338 on top and be done but that won't look right.

OS templates with rolled off termination have been posted here somewhere (long/detailed DIY effort), ... It will take more baffle real estate and either be set back further or stick out... so time alignment will need a revisit. or at least a check... as I'm sure you're aware

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Yeah not bad thanks.

I have been thinking about working up a 1.5" version with an attempt at a better termination and or a more rapid flair rate/profile (oblate spheroid?) since these 2311 are the weakest link in my 4350's. I wish I knew more about horn profiles as it seems that what I really need to do now is create that part and cut and test.

What I probably should do is just park a 4338 on top and be done but that won't look right.
    may be helpful

r(x)=Rt*sqrt( 1 + (x/Rt *tan(Q))^2)
    Rt throat radius, x distance from the throat, Q- horn-wall to horn axis angle

but using CD type of horn, a lot of work has to be done on the 4350 compression driver networks, not to mention that the baffle hole for the horn has to be much larger then for the 2311 horn, with 2308 lenses, in order to get horizontal dispersion of about +/- 40 degs

May be PT-H95FH or PT-F1010HF would give good results for 1.5inch drivers.

As I have remembered JMLC horn would give the shortest horn, but beaming would be present for HF section.

Regards
    ivica
    Attached Images Attached Images  

here's what I was trying to recall:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post123393

Thank you Ivica and Grumpy.

Both are very helpful indeed.

My 4350's are four way active, there are no passive components in them at all and while they are far from stock, the cabinets are completely unmodified and I won't be cutting them up.

I was thinking along the lines of the small horn with the five inch mouth with the tractrix transition before termination and through bolting the outer to the inner sandwiching the baffle between them even if this only gave me radius'd termination on the sides before it runs into the 12" and or the 2405's.

A confession to JBL heresy, the horn that sounds most at home on top of these is the Community BRH90's. They are 33" wide and 11.5" tall and look very much like the horn used in the Ocean Way HR3? They are sweet. But it just looks wrong.

Thanks again guys!

Thank you Ivica and Grumpy.

Both are very helpful indeed.

My 4350's are four way active, there are no passive components in them at all and while they are far from stock, the cabinets are completely unmodified and I won't be cutting them up.

I was thinking along the lines of the small horn with the five inch mouth with the tractrix transition before termination and through bolting the outer to the inner sandwiching the baffle between them even if this only gave me radius'd termination on the sides before it runs into the 12" and or the 2405's.

A confession to JBL heresy, the horn that sounds most at home on top of these is the Community BRH90's. They are 33" wide and 11.5" tall and look very much like the horn used in the Ocean Way HR3? They are sweet. But it just looks wrong.

Thanks again guys!
    Hmmm, so something like 2350 would be acceptable too ???
    Why not A290 Dr. Yuichi

ivica

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hmmm, so something like 2350 would be acceptable too ???
    Why not A290 Dr. Yuichi

ivica

Sorry I wasn't concise. I just don't like the look of anything on top of them. I have a pair of Y290's that are beautiful and sound great but,,, of all the horns I have, the pair of walnut Lake type horns look closest to home on top but I would rather them be all they can be and look like they came new. A compromise to be sure.

All the best ,
    Barry.

Horn H93

Jammin still have 3 pairs of H93. Bought one. Cheaper than ebay!

http://www.jamminjersey.com/speakers.php?prod=jblcomp

Sorry I wasn't concise. I just don't like the look of anything on top of them. I have a pair of Y290's that are beautiful and sound great but,,, of all the horns I have, the pair of walnut Lake type horns look closest to home on top but I would rather them be all they can be and look like they came new. A compromise to be sure.

All the best ,
    Barry.

Cool

Wow, I've been thinking of dragging my RH90's down from the attic for a few years, this sort of made me want to hear them again. Maybe next year, I will get them down. I think they would look kool with a pair of those little Selinium Neo drivers behind them, but those are hard to find any more...
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Thread Information