Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harman Trailer Listening Room comes to Tyson's Corner VA

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    The average gap in the wall space here in NZ is 2.7l. This cabinet looks a lot larger than that so it is not really a fair test.

Allan.
    My assumption was the box was to replicate the space within the wall studs including between the blocking. So if you have 16-inch spacing on a 9-foot ceiling height with blocking half-way up, you'd be left with a space 16-inches wide by the width of the framing material (about 3.5-inches here in the USA) over the 4.5-foot (54-inch) height of the cavity. Would come to just under two-cubic-feet. That's about what they're showing.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    My assumption was the box was to replicate the space within the wall studs including between the blocking. So if you have 16-inch spacing on a 9-foot ceiling height with blocking half-way up, you'd be left with a space 16-inches wide by the width of the framing material (about 3.5-inches here in the USA) over the 4.5-foot (54-inch) height of the cavity. Would come to just under two-cubic-feet. That's about what they're showing.
    Maybe true for the US but dwangs in NZ generally have the 16" spacing as well. The space is 550mm x 550mm x 90mm.

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Maybe true for the US but dwangs in NZ generally have the 16" spacing as well. The space is 550mm x 550mm x 90mm.

Allan.
    Not to belabour the obvious, but ...

the Harman trailer goes around to US cities to promote the gear for the US market.
    It didn't look like the were promoting it for the NZ market, so your point is moot.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

the Harman trailer goes around to US cities to promote the gear for the US market.
    It didn't look like the were promoting it for the NZ market, so your point is moot.
    But a point none the less....

Looks like the first week in November is for you guys in Seattle and Portland!
    thanx

my visit is TBD as is Details
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I was in that truck in Las Vegas. For the home theater demo they played a scene from "Open Range" that had the most realistic gun shots I've ever heard. That's the same music they were using for demos back in January, I'm sure they're a little sick of it now.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

I think (at least I interpreted it this way) Allen's point was that the box was deeper than the standard wall cavity depth. My point, trying to explain the box size, was that it was simply sized to replicate the entire cubic capacity of the wall cavity between the vertical framing members, not the actual dimensions. Cubic capacity versus linear measurement. But then we do have a bit of Tower-of-Babble issues with the rest of the English speaking world, especially those who speak English but measure in Metric.

Just kidding, of course. I much prefer the Metric system and "G'day!" sounds a lot more erudite to me than "Wassup?".
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Right - if you look at the pictures from the virtual tour of the Audiophile room on the Harman site, those speakers in-wall aren't even there. There were small boxes attached to the wall with angles sides to avoid making it sound too boxy. The JBL HT-288 in wall woofers I had for a wall were similar - the depth of a 2x4 walls space, 16 inches on center, height from floor up to a firestop ...
    But they may be tuned differently for overseas markets- the brochure says they test it with real ears - - not just spec-driven designs.

I think (at least I interpreted it this way) Allen's point was that the box was deeper than the standard wall cavity depth. My point, trying to explain the box size, was that it was simply sized to replicate the entire cubic capacity of the wall cavity between the vertical framing members, not the actual dimensions. Cubic capacity versus linear measurement. But then we do have a bit of Tower-of-Babble issues with the rest of the English speaking world, especially those who speak English but measure in Metric.

Just kidding, of course. I much prefer the Metric system and "G'day!" sounds a lot more erudite to me than "Wassup?".
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Not in the Harman trailer, of course!
    Right

Not a fan?

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    Right

Not a fan?
    Nothing to do with whether I'm a fan or not. Your first post suggested to me that you found it odd that a Harman demo was using Marantz amps. I was just pointing out the shot was from the showroom of the sponsoring dealer and not the Harman truck.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Nothing to do with whether I'm a fan or not. Your first post suggested to me that you found it odd that a Harman demo was using Marantz amps. I was just pointing out the shot was from the showroom of the sponsoring dealer and not the Harman truck.

Sorry if I misunderstood.
    Phil is correct. I should have labeled the pictures better; my apologies. The two pictures in post #11 were from inside Evolution Audio in Tyson's Corner, Virginia - http://evolutionav.com

The first picture shows a Magico/Simaudio/VTL system. The second shows an Audio Research/Marantz/Revel/Ariel (I think) double systems.

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    The K2 S9900 and an S2S 15" subwoofer (the room had 4!).
    Ah, well I've got two K2 S9900s with two S2S subs in my little two-channel set up at home. Maybe with some judicious purchases I can upgrade to a K2 full surround system.
    Out.

Looks like Harmon (sans trailer) is displaying at the next RMAF (Oct 14-16).

Maybe a good opportunity for JuniorJBL to check out how the real 1400 Arrays compare to his great build.

http://audiofest.net/2011/exhibitors...f8d0de12f3a6e3

For RMAF 2011, we will be exhibiting the following:

Room #8020

"The Science of Sound by Dr. Sean Olive"

Featuring the Revel F52 floorstanding speakers for the loudspeaker listening source, Dr. Sean Olive will educate you about the science behind the development, measurement and subjective evaluation of Harman audio products. Seating is limited, so please make sure to secure your spot!

Room #8024

"Luxury Audio Group Exclusive Demo"

Featuring Mark Levinson electronics, the Revel Studio2 floorstanding speakers and the JBL Synthesis 1400 Array floorstanding speakers, come hear an extraordinary demo to find out what we have to offer you! Seating is limited, but don't miss out on listening to one of our finest demo presentations.

For more information about the HARMAN Luxury Audio Group brands represented at the show, visit our websites:

www.marklevinson.com

www.revelspeakers.com

www.jblsynthesis.com

www.lexicon.com
    -- Lexicon will not be featured at RMAF.

Event Schedule

http://www.soundthatstirsthesoul.com...spx?bid=5&id=5

Pittsburgh; Seattle and Portland coming soon.

Harry

What's in a name??

Harman Kardon is the Audio brand

(easy mnemonic - 1st name ends AN, 2nd name ends ON)

Harman Kardon

(Mark) Harmon is the guy on NCIS ...
    (yep, I typoed it as NSIC/CSI/whatevah - I never watch any of that Investigative schlock)

Thread Information