Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best JBL 15" midrange advice needed

Best JBL 15" midrange advice needed

I picked up this PA. It is from around 1990. I don't believe that they are JBL made, there are no JBL logos on them. Boxes made of plywood, very nicely built. I cannot find any JBL built speaker (top boxes) with these components.

Name:  128504698_4.jpg
Views: 4443
Size:  11.8 KBName:  128504698_3.jpg
Views: 3991
Size:  10.8 KB

15" drivers in 4530 is 2226HPL.

I believe the top cabinets are also 2226HPL. These are ported. Midrange is 2370 horns (probably 2426 driver). 2405 tweeter. Top boxes are biamped, a passive filter is used between tweeter and horn.

I like the top boxes too much to cannibalize them. But I want to swap the 15" drivers in order to improve the midrange. And put 2420 with alu diaphragms on the horn.

Any advice on which 15" to look for is appreciated.
    Last edited by more10; 10-02-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Corrected tweeter to 2405, driver to 2426

Congratulation on your purchase. Perhaps a 12" 2206 would improve midrange (150-1000Hz) over the 2226...

BTW If you can try a 2225 in those scoop instead of the 2226, you will probably find a bit more low bass. The 2226 is more of a bass reflex driver.

What is it you don't like about the current midrange sound or performance that you would like another driver to do better? What is the lowest and highest frequency the 15" midrange is to play? Do you employ EQ? How much power must it safely handle? How many pancakes does it take to shingle a dog house and just how many questions can one guy ask?!? :^)
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    What is it you don't like about the current midrange sound or performance that you would like another driver to do better?
    It's not that I don't like it. But I believe that there is a better driver for midrange. E130 maybe? Light cone.
    What is the lowest and highest frequency the 15" midrange is to play?
    Going from about 100Hz to 1500 Hz.
    Do you employ EQ?
    Not yet.
    How much power must it safely handle?
    Any JBL 15" driver will handle the power I need.
    How many pancakes does it take to shingle a dog house
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_p...le_a_dog_house
    and just how many questions can one guy ask?!? :^)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Congratulation on your purchase. Perhaps a 12" 2206 would improve midrange (150-1000Hz) over the 2226...

BTW If you can try a 2225 in those scoop instead of the 2226, you will probably find a bit more low bass. The 2226 is more of a bass reflex driver.
    Thanks. I have considered using a 12", but then I will have to modify the box.

If I get my hands on a pair of 2225 I will certainly use them. Until then I will use the 2226 since they are quite close, only QMS differs much, 5 for 2226 and 2.5 for 2225.

For me without EQ it would be E130's probably with felt dustcaps rather than aluminum. With EQ it would be 2220's however as a direct radiator it has a rapidly rising response but I love their sound, response corrected.

The doghouse thing was bad humor suggesting for me, more information was required.

All the best.

mid

Well the 2370 horn driver is a 2426 ( one inch ) so a tweeter above it isn't really needed unless you need to sterilize teenage bats... I suggest trying that and maybe selling the babycheeks to finance other items. The box component is the 4725A without the tweet.

Agreed on the 2225 for the scoop ( 4530 ) but they are prone to magnet damage when improperly packed by 99% of the ebay community and are getting pretty old. Stick with the 2226.

The 2220 might be the best mid BUT I suggest keeping the 2226 and running the top boxes down to 30 and use a 30-120hz filter on the scoops. This way you can dial them in just enough to help the "punch" and the 120hz point will show up as a center freq on the graphic to deal with the combined output peak..

BTW - looks a lot like my PA's from 1981-86

For me without EQ it would be E130's probably with felt dustcaps rather than aluminum. With EQ it would be 2220's however as a direct radiator it has a rapidly rising response but I love their sound, response corrected.

The doghouse thing was bad humor suggesting for me, more information was required.

All the best.
    Since I own a pair of 2220 I'll use them with an EQ. An EQ is easier to get than E130 here. An EQ will take care of the 150 Hz dip of the 4530 as well as baffle step. Thanks for advice.

The doghouse thing was quite funny now that i get it

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    Well the 2370 horn driver is a 2426 ( one inch ) so a tweeter above it isn't really needed unless you need to sterilize teenage bats... I suggest trying that and maybe selling the babycheeks to finance other items.
    Maybe they put in the 2405 for better dispersion? The tweet puzzels me a bit.

The system has been used in a theatre.

Opened up the top box yesterday. It had 2227HPL, 2420 with titanium dia, and 2405 altnico.

Far better than I had expected. 2227 is basically unobtainable over here. I has been doing midrange duty, mostly voices, for the last 20 years. It is barely broken in :-).

Filter between 2405 and 2420 was 6 db, marked Septon.

Septon imports JBL pro stuff to Sweden. The boxes are most probably built by them.

Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post
    Septon imports JBL pro stuff to Sweden. The boxes are most probably built by them.
    I looked at your pictures and the 4530 are definitely not JBL-built. From the exterior, it is clear that while it follows certain aspects of the original aspects like the lower pedesta (even though not done like a JBL enclosure), it is missing the "reinforcement strip" on the edge at the front. Something you can probably easily modify to strengthen the sides and keep them from vibrating.

2227's are virtually unobtainable over here too, I search still.

I'm glad you got what you wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post
    Far better than I had expected. 2227 is basically unobtainable over here. I has been doing midrange duty, mostly voices, for the last 20 years. It is barely broken in :-).
    I'm pretty sure they are not that old since I belice the 2227 was introduced in the late 90s, (96-97 I gues)

2227's are virtually unobtainable over here too, I search still.

I'm glad you got what you wanted!
    Too bad you don't live here... I have 4 of them for sale

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Too bad you don't live here... I have 4 of them for sale
    I think member caladois is looking for a pair in france

Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but is this going to be used for Home HiFi or PA use?

I am astounded the E145 has not been mentioned.. Perhaps it's just me, but it makes magical midrange...

Thread Information