Thread: L20T Placement?

analogman

L20T Placement?

Hello,
    As I mentioned in a previous post I recently bought a pair of L20Ts. After living with them for a while I find them a bit "hard" and aggressive, most notably in the upper mids and highs. My room stinks and the set up is only temporary (checking them out after Ebay). They are currently on Heresys for stands in front of my Apollos, which are against the wall. They are about 5 and a half feet apart and about 3 and a half feet from rear wall to baffle. My listening spot is about 7 feet away. I live in a condo with an open floor plan, living room, dining area and kitchen really just one big truncated "L". Would someone more familiar with this speaker be so kind as to suggest some placement baselines so that I can at least be in the ball park when I start to experiment. I have proper stands but am not using them as the room is so cluttered and they would be in traffic. The room is shared with the TV, bookcases, my wife's desk and about a thousand LPs, not to mention the four Heresys and my beloved Apollos. I know I am trying to shoe horn them in to a less than optimal environment but it is the best I can do until I can liquidate some of my speaker accumulation. If you can decipher this ramble any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration.

With regards,
    Analogman

I would try to get them closer to the wall if you could. They are bass shy below 50hz so with no boundry reinforcement won't help too much. You handy?? You may want to consider building the 4406 network to give you some level control up top.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

analogman
    Thank you Robh,
    I guess I am handy, I am a mechanic by trade. As far as electronics I can follow directions and solder, that is about it. Building a crossover with L-pad is a bit more than I am interested in with these at this time, as I am not sure I want to keep them at this point. I am not scared to try a project like this, but compared to you guys I am just a novice (sourcing parts etc.). It would not be easy for me as I am not "set up" like a serious hobbiest.
    Thank you again,
    Analogman

analogman
    ...That is why I am here, you Gentlemen are educating me! Thanks again!

With regards,
    Analogman

analogman
    Yes, indeed, they are bass "shy". I am convinced that my perceived "hardness" is due to my poor placement which in turn is exacerbating the mids and highs. Specific placement suggestions welcomed.
    Thanks again,
    Analogman

I keep mine right against the wall and very close to room corners.

analogman
    Thanks Don C! Wish I had corners

Analogman

Electronics ?

Complaints of "hardness" or "edginess" can sometimes be traced back to your other components. I have no idea what you are driving them with, but my own personal journey of enlightenment with JBL's has led to some component swaps.

Just curious what's on the other end of the wire...

jblnut

analogman

Electronics

jblnut,
    I own several amps, all integrated. I am currently using a JJ 828. It is a KT88 based push-pull design. I don't have this problem/complaint with my other speakers, including of all things KLIPSCH!!!
    Thanks,
    Analogman

IMHO, the L20T is a bit bright.

If you don't want to build a crossover, you might just try adding an 8 ohm 30 watt L-pad between the existing crossover and the tweeter. There's nothing "special" about the topology of the L20T crossover (standard second-order network, nothing else), so adding an L-pad inline should work.

I'm a bigger fan of the bigger speakers in this series- the added bass/mid output seems to ameliorate the high frequency excess. In fact, I built a custom center channel using two L20T woofers and a single L20T tweeter, with a modified crossover- basically, it wound up with the lows about 1 dB louder with respect to the highs. Did the trick, completely. So, it won't take much with the L-pad... maybe it'll wind up about 75% of all the way up "on the knob", I'd guess.

Regards,
    Gordon.

Thread Information