Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4354 - JBL Not

4354 - JBL Not

Here's some pics of my current project - My fat boy, side by side, talking refrigerators - I'm calling them 4354's for the sake of having a model number.

The project started with the desire to integrate a wood horn into my favorite pro system, the 4350. I want to thank John W. for making and selling the 2" throat walnut horns to me. For some time I have wanted to hear what a wood horn might sound like with a 2" driver hanging on it, blended in with the balance of the 4350 component array.

To this date I have not fired them up but hope to get there soon. One cabinet was complete when Ian and Clark visited a few weeks ago and now the other is done. The only task remaining is to build support cradles for the heavy 2441 hanging on the walnut horns. Maybe in a week or so I can get them singing. From there I hope to move from the temporary 3107's to charge coupled networks and then to several months of tweeking to see what they will do.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images      

pics
    Attached Images Attached Images      

RIP 2009
    Very nice! How do you find the time for this stuff? It seems like what would almost be a full-time occupation!

Interesting blue stain, and baffles book-matched! Are the 15's in separate chambers? And do the foilcals actually say 4354?

John

Nice layout

Gorgeous and practical height.

The grills also look more managed in that configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    Very nice! How do you find the time for this stuff? It seems like what would almost be a full-time occupation!

Interesting blue stain, and baffles book-matched! Are the 15's in separate chambers? And do the foilcals actually say 4354?

John
    Hi John:

Thanks for the comments. I never have enough time but these projects are a passion and I make time, sometimes at the expense of other things that I should be doing - like painting rooms for my wife, etc. We both do 7 days a week at our business but I will do 2-3 hours near every morning before work and 2-3 hours near every evening after work. It's more relaxation for me than it is work. On my way to work after this note.

The blue baffles are water based stain over white ash veneered baltic birch. I tried this with my so called vertical 4351 project and failed. I ended up painting the oak veneered baffles blue in frustration. This time the results were acceptable, but still not perfect. It's a lot of work - veneering a large baffle and then staining and clear coating to protect the result - and I'm not too interested in doing it again.

The cabinet interior is identical in volume to the factory 4350. The mid base box is in the upper right/left corner so the interior is kind of L shaped. Both woofs share the same volume like in the 4350/4355.

Grille badge says 4355 for now but I hope to have dedicated 4354 foil cals and badges made - too late to do it half ass now.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by cvengr View Post
    Gorgeous and practical height.

The grills also look more managed in that configuration.
    My original plan was for two grilles split horizontally like the 4350. On paper it looked ok but the vertical split looked better. I only had to separate the woofs an inch or so more to allow the vertical grilles. If a fat guy wants to wear a striped shirt he needs to find one with vertical stripes - horizontal stripes only make him look fatter!

Hi

Very very tasty and I do like the grille treatment.

I like those round wood horns! SUHWEET!

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    I like those round wood horns! SUHWEET!

Thanx Scotty and I can only thank John W. for the horns. I hope to supply him with great reports on their performance.

I can do a lot of things with wood but turning horns on a lathe is not one of them. I owned a wood lathe years ago but gave it away. Back then there was nothing in lathe work that interested me - too late to learn now.

John - you should consider making MORE of these beautiful horns!!!!!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by riessen View Post
    ..I only had to separate the woofs an inch or so more to allow the vertical grilles. ...
    Let us know how the increased volume and 2235 H separation sounds.

Are these tuned, then, a bit lower than the 4355s? i.e larger enclosure volume?

I've laid out a set for the 2235s to be only less than 2 inches apart with angle supports int he rear in the enclosure. My only concern is if the infinite baffle assumption is insufficiently designed for proper phase coherence. The test boxes I'm working on have a 24" depth for lower tuning, but might not match the closer adjacency of the LF transducers.

Quote Originally Posted by cvengr View Post
    Let us know how the increased volume and 2235 H separation sounds.

Internal volume is identical to the 4350 and 4355. Spread between the woofers is a couple inches wider than stock 4350/4355. I'm not sure that I will be able to detect any difference in the sound??? If I can I'l surely let you know.

Are these tuned, then, a bit lower than the 4355s? i.e larger enclosure volume?

They're currently tuned like the 4350 but I don't expect to leave them that low with 2235H's. I like the faster base response of the 4355 even though they are tuned a bit higher. For me it's just a matter of cutting some off of each of the port tubes. Using the larger single port of the 4355 was not a good option with these cabinets.

I've laid out a set for the 2235s to be only less than 2 inches apart with angle supports int he rear in the enclosure. My only concern is if the infinite baffle assumption is insufficiently designed for proper phase coherence. The test boxes I'm working on have a 24" depth for lower tuning, but might not match the closer adjacency of the LF transducers.

I considered building the boxes deeper like the 24" you described but I still have to fit these babies into my room in a manner that suits available space - thus 15 1/2" internal depth
    Later - Rick

Stunning

And the Maestro strikes again.

Rich

Great work Rick.

Rick you never let us down with either your passion or the product. Just absolutely beautiful!

Thanx John and once again, thanks for the horns. Please let me know if you find a way to turn elliptical horns on your lathe. They might be fun to experiment with in wood.

I'll keep you posted as I move along the testing and listening and tweeking curve.

Rick

Thread Information