Thread: Jbl 4311.5

Jbl 4311.5

I`m in the process of a major restore and toying with the idea of re orienting the cabinet a la 4312.
    There is no doubt as to the benefits of such a configuration however, I do not wish to upset the Audio Gods by doing so.
    Since the enclosures are currently devoid of drivers and the crossovers are being rebuilt, now would be the time to make a decision. The L-Pads would have to be flipped upside down and rewired Hi/Mid from the current Mid/Hi and re located. The capacitors would most likely have to be relocated as well because of LE5 mid chamber interference.
    All in all , not terribly labor intensive compared to what a been done far. Has anyone seen this done before?
    My plans for this pair as far as being keepers is undetermined at the moment, how would such a mod impact resale value?
    Like I said, I`m just playing with he idea, what do you all think?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    There is no doubt as to the benefits of such a configuration…
    What is the expected benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    My plans for this pair as far as being keepers is undetermined at the moment, how would such a mod impact resale value?
    I’d expect it to negatively impact the resale value or at least make resale a bit more difficult. People buying 4311s are buying 4311s… not 2 cu ft bookshelf speakers of a particular performance level.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    What is the expected benefit?

I’d expect it to negatively impact the resale value or at least make resale a bit more difficult. People buying 4311s are buying 4311s… not 2 cu ft bookshelf speakers of a particular performance level.

Widget
    I would expect getting the mid and tweeter section at a good level would be easier to attain with a shorter stand, lower center of gravity too.

Here's an idea, why not just make a full size grill with a recess to go around/over the knobs or remove the knobs so that they can hide behind the new full size grill. That way you can flip the cabinet to get the mid/hi up some, and not have it look upside down. Then when you want to resale, pop on the original grills and your back to stock.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by allen mueller View Post
    Here's an idea, why not just make a full size grill with a recess to go around/over the knobs or remove the knobs so that they can hide behind the new full size grill. That way you can flip the cabinet to get the mid/hi up some, and not have it look upside down. Then when you want to resale, pop on the original grills and your back to stock.

Al
    Great suggestion Al but much of the 4311 sex appeal lies in that little section!
    That is a defining 431x feature, obscure it and it becomes just another loudspeaker

Thread Information