Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: High SPL Design Ideas

Another thought that would be cool in there would be a distributed type system, sort of like some club areas use, where you have mutliple smaller cabs covering areas well without needing two mains to generate higher SPL to get the room excited.

I too would keep the number of drivers as minimal as possible. Mounted up on that wall a pair of 60 degree horns to keep as much of the energy off the walls as possible will be a good thing.

I have a similar setup in a larger shop. The system is not ideal, it is one JBL 2365/2441, a 100Hz midbass horn with a 2206 in it on top of two 34Hz bass horns. This did not provide sufficient nor a good homogenous bass field on the floor so I added four 40Hz folded bass horns in one corner, it sounds pretty good and is intelligible in a very reverberant space, but it will not achieve dance floor sound pressure levels with the sound quality I would like.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    That looks like a party space all right! It will take some real subs to fill it. What speakers are hanging in the pictures? Do they come close to playing loud enough? I'm just trying to get an idea of how loud is loud.

By the way Lee, that looks like a damn good start!

All the best,
    Barry.
    The speakers on the wall are used primarily for background music and will be removed. When we have a party, we usually hire a DJ or a band. The new system could eliminate that expense.

The drivers in the cabinets pictures are some low end MCM catalog drivers I slapped together in some old boxes. 12" poly woofers with 1" compression drivers behind the horns. There is also a 12" Pyle dual voice coil sub (not pictured) that fires towards the rear wall. The wall speakers are powered by a Crown MA600 in stereo mode and the sub is powered by another Crown MA600 bridged mono crossed over at 100hz. They sound fairly balanced but they don't compare in efficiency and output to an older speaker project I have loaded with 12" JBL131 and JBL 2404H drivers. I also have a pair of 15" Altec 515B's that don't have a home at the moment.

Surprisingly, the room does not have any terrible resonance or reverberation issues.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by reVintage View Post
    I have an acceptable knowledge in using HR and can also interpret the results. Input needed is:

Driver
    At
    Am
    L
    T if Hypex
    Backchamber volume
    Placement
    PM sent

I can feel the thump already
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Interesting info on bertha/levan horns:
    http://www.wavemusic.com/community/s...ead.php?t=2893

And how that "barn" can be set-up

http://www.systemsbyshorty.com/sbsstereo1.swf

Update - bought subs!

Guys,I just scored a deal on two brand new in a box SR-4719X dual 18" subs that I could not turn down! The original owner bought these new about 8 years for a home theater project and never used them. I can't wait to fire them up! Attached is a quick picture.Now that I have a basic direction, what are your thoughts on the best matching top cabinets for these? I'm leaning towards the SR-4732X or 4733X. Does the Forum have any experience with ethier of these units? In a tri-amplified configuration, how would you power them using Crown Macro Tech series amps (models?). I also picked up a like-new dbx RackDrive PA unit with RTA mic to EQ and tweak the system.Thanks in advance for the input! Happy New Year! Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice subs! Now you only need 5 kW to make the barn shake :-)

I would choose SR-4732X or SR4722X because of the 12" which I believe sounds better than a 15" in the mids.

You can build 4 tapped horns with the elements from the subs, and put a horn in each corner of the barn. I have used one tapped horn with a 2226 in a small barn. One 15" is enough :-)

UPDATE - System Complete, Phase 1!

Guys,

I wanted to update the group on my project. Attached are pictures of the complete system at this stage. The tops are SR-4731X and the subs are SR-4719X. We just held our annual Memorial Day party with 100+ people and the comments from the crowd were great! You know you had the place rockin when the police stop by to tell you to turn it down!

Powering the system are two Crown MA 2400 bridged mono on the subs (about 2,000 watts/channel), one MA 2400 on the mids and on MA 1200 on the horns. I have the dbx PA+ proving the crossover and equalization.

Personally, I was very impressed with the clarity, balance and output of the 4731's. They sound fantastic and were a great recommendation! Thanks!

However, I was hoping for more out of the 4719's. Everyone seemed to like the way they "hit" but I found them a bit lacking in punch and their response drops off quickly below 40hz requiring heavy equalization. I also noticed that their response in my room seemed somewhat directional - odd for a sub. The best bass extention was with the cabinets front firing, side by side (mutal coupling?) and seemed to be more pronounced standing less than 15ft way or more than 50 ft away. I have had other subs in that room that performed better in a rear firing configuration that seemed more uniform in response and coverage.

Any ideas to try or am I expecting too much from the 4719s? This has me thinking how much better the Bertha's would be in comparison.

Thanks,

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Try moving the left one into the corner and face it towards the other sub.
    Always fun learning more.......

Nice system, are you still set up like this ? I would stack the subs .

Mike,

Congratulations in obtaining your system. I'm not familiar with the 4719 so I don't know how much very low bass it can produce, but in viewing the photos of your barn, it appears that the walls are not reinforced metal siding. This could be a significant part of your problem. If the walls are flexing out of phase it it will destroy the bass. I have personally witnessed this problem in my wife's church. In the organ loft the pedals are very powerful, but in the nave they can hardly be heard. Several consultants have pointed out that because of the particular construction methods, the walls flex killing the pedals. I wouldn't be surprised that this may be part of your problem.

Anyway, good luck and have fun.

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Thread Information