Thread: JBL L36 Tweeter/ Xover Repair

JBL L36 Tweeter/ Xover Repair

Hi JBL Friends,

I am new to this fourm and hope I can be advised on a L36 Decade that I have.
    I bought my L36's new in the 70's - LOVE 'EM!
    My tweeter in one cabinet is not working. I placed it in other cab. and it works there.
    ? what possible maint. can I do to the crossover to hopefully resolve this? OeoxIT on the controls?
    Also, I removed the 4 screws and the XOver still seems to be hard on the inside of the cabinet and will not come loose.
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Peace

I can't answer what may be wrong but here is a photo of a L36 crossover on Ebay and it looks to be glued in. Good Luck I like my L26's.

Name:  l36.JPG
Views: 4915
Size:  31.7 KB

Not mine no connection but here is a link.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-crossove...item415da1cc81

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsjbll36 View Post
    Hi JBL Friends,

I am new to this fourm and hope I can be advised on a L36 Decade that I have.
    I bought my L36's new in the 70's - LOVE 'EM!
    My tweeter in one cabinet is not working. I placed it in other cab. and it works there.
    ? what possible maint. can I do to the crossover to hopefully resolve this? OeoxIT on the controls?
    Also, I removed the 4 screws and the XOver still seems to be hard on the inside of the cabinet and will not come loose.
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Peace
    Follow up; got the Xover removed.... Could still use advise on any troubleshooting and/or remedies to repair.

Quote Originally Posted by mark214 View Post
    I can't answer what may be wrong but here is a photo of a L36 crossover on Ebay and it looks to be glued in. Good Luck I like my L26's.

Name:  l36.JPG
Views: 4915
Size:  31.7 KB

Not mine no connection but here is a link.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-crossove...item415da1cc81
    Wow, last week I sought out eBay and found nothing. This must have just turned up. Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsjbll36 View Post
    Follow up; got the Xover removed.... Could still use advise on any troubleshooting and/or remedies to repair.
    Did you at least try working the "Brilliance" control back and forth several/many times with no load to the speakers and then try and see if it knocked some of the crap out of the L-pad and got you some tweeter sound back in that side? Now that you've got them out, try shooting some contact cleaner inside the pot and work it back and forth. Or replace the L-pad completely. You could bypass the L-pad just to make sure the rest of the crossover is functioning.

Here's the schematic: http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/...ecade%20ts.pdf
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Did you at least try working the "Brilliance" control back and forth several/many times with no load to the speakers and then try and see if it knocked some of the crap out of the L-pad and got you some tweeter sound back in that side? Now that you've got them out, try shooting some contact cleaner inside the pot and work it back and forth. Or replace the L-pad completely. You could bypass the L-pad just to make sure the rest of the crossover is functioning.

Here's the schematic: http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/...ecade%20ts.pdf
    BMWCCA,

I have turned both controls multiple times and used canned air as well. Still waiting for my Deoxit to arrive to give it a shot of it as well. I ordered CAIG DeoxIT Contact Cleaner D100S-2. I assume this would be a good choice for this eh?

I'd dissasemble the lpads and give them a rub with fine grit sandpaper as they are most likely green from oxidation. Follow that by a cleaning rub with all those fancy deoxit sprays and they should be good to go. Also check for proper contact between the two surfaces. No need for buying used xovers in same or worse condition.

I must of gotten confused when swooping the tweets from cabinet to cabinet. I swear it was the X-over the the tweet was good! It turns up the one of the tweets is bad. To bad though bc cosmetically it is in excellent condition
    At any rate, after following the helpful advise that has been offered along with a couple of shots of DeoxIT I now have smooth sounding X-Overs. No more scratching! .
    Are the tweets repairable? I am willing to take the risk of repairing it. Any advise on the proceedure would be greatly appreciated.
    thx

Firstly I would measure th dcr across the terminals to determine if the coil is actually fubar before disassembling the speaker. If it doesn't give a reading maybe the wire connecting coil to terminals snapped somwhere. Hopefully easy fix and not burnt coil.

Good luck!

Thread Information