Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood mid high horn plan

Wood mid high horn plan

Hello,
    someone can provide me with the building plans for wooden trumpets, like Fostex, for medium high? The building is not a problem, but I did't find plan of Fostex horns on the network. I will use with the JBL 2425j drivers without the tweeter.
    Thanks
    Giuseppe

Please visit Yuichis excellent WebSite ( for some DIY inspiration & to also obtain other horn plans ) .

<>

Personally , I wouldn't waste my time building a horn like that for a 1" driver !

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Personally , I wouldn't waste my time building a horn like that for a 1" driver !
    So you get it for a 2 inch driver and use the JBL adapters to run it with a 1 inch driver ...
    Once you get a sense for it, you're encouraged to do the right thing and get the bigger better drivers and ... you already have the good horn for it!

For some of us, its not a bad thing, upgrading in affordable stages ...
    We just have to plan it, good and proper ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

By the way Heater, you still have Truextent Be diaphragms left on your upgrade list!

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    By the way Heather, you still have Truextent Be diaphragms left on your upgrade list!
    Exactly! ... I'm guessing it will be on the list for quite a while -
    I suspect buying the PASS Labs XVR crossover and matching amps will happen much sooner!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by audiophile.1963 View Post
    I will use with the JBL 2425j drivers without the tweeter.
    Thanks
    Carefully choose your horn as very few will go up to 20Khz and can be used in a two-way system.

Edgar midrange horn with JBL LE-52

Sorry, Off Topic
    Diy amps: 2A3,300B,45,71A

Why 2in? I see that the A-480 1in / Hyperbolic is good for JBL-2425 or TAD-2001 with a frequency range 1200Hz to 20KHz...
    Giuseppe

Why 2in?
    Because those of us fortunate enough to have heard systems with 4" diaphragms and 1.5" or 2" throats have heard the difference. In this case bigger is better.

I see that the A-480 1in / Hyperbolic is good for JBL-2425 or TAD-2001 with a frequency range 1200Hz to 20KHz...
    Don't believe everything you read, or every graph you see.

Widget

Do you already have the 2425?

Building the larger Yuichi horns to use with a 1" all the way up is probably not a good solution. I predict that the adapter together with the larger throat will ensure the need of massive eq above 10K.

Beware that it is very difficult to achieve HF extension to 20Khz, so any irregularities in the throat end will effect the result.

I.e - be prepared for HF cutoff below 20KHz. You need a measurement mic.

Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil View Post
    Do you already have the 2425?

Building the larger Yuichi horns to use with a 1" all the way up is probably not a good solution. I predict that the adapter together with the larger throat will ensure the need of massive eq above 10K.

Beware that it is very difficult to achieve HF extension to 20Khz, so any irregularities in the throat end will effect the result.

I.e - be prepared for HF cutoff below 20KHz. You need a measurement mic.

Johnny
    Thanks for your reply Johnny,
    I have not the JBL 2425j this is my intention. I'm restoring an old pair of JBL 4560 cabinets: I have two JBL 2225h woofers and I would like to built a pair of wood horns for mid high but with JBL driver. I don't want to place the horn on the top of the cabinet but inside of the cabinet as the original version. The space is 14 cm so I can not use a horn too high. if you have a similar horn profile please send it to me.
    Thanks
    Giuseppe

If you wish to stick with the 1" driver I would consider at least 3 different horns:
    - Yuichi 480
    - http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ct-preparation
    - and last a Smith: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...-1-quot-driver

At the moment I am using the small Smith horn in one of my systems all the way up. One of the horns rolls off around 15K and the other one around 16K.

The easiest build is the Smith. Since you are not afraid of the building challenge I urge you to build at least a couple of alternatives and report your experiences back here.

IME there are quite different HF response with different materials/finishes. So a mockup in MDF/chipboard usually won't give you the best HF response. You need to either apply a good finish or use solid wood, oiled or varnished.

Johnny
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Some More Encouragement ;

- Here's a pic from a quite ancient thread where Kelly ( luxmanluver ), built his own wooden knock-off ( mdf maybe ??? ) of the JBL 2345 horn .
    - The pic is from here !

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_(in_2004)_
    Hey Earl
    The horn in the 4 Pi's that I built was the Eminence H290, a cool looking horn and compact but certainly not to my tastes. It might be better in wood but that's a lot of work to find out. The horn I ended up building wasn't anything special. Just a plain old 2345 JBL cast aluminum ( a real POS casting job if you ask me....lol ) that I had literally holding the garage door open on windy days.

,,,,,snip,,,,,

But all in all I'm just plain out amazed at how this wood horn has smoothed out the sound. CD's that were previously "unlistenable" ie R. L. Burnside "Come On In" certain comes to mind. Great CD, TERRIBLE recording job. I think they used one mike in a bathroom or something...lol .

Quote Originally Posted by Earl
    Pi speakers
    "(I guess you gave up on making those Pi boxes sound acceptable - yes / no ? )"
    Thought I better answer that one right away. I always liked some aspects of the Pi's. The model I built wasn't to my taste and in retrospect I know why. It was the Eminence horn/driver combo. Even the JBL 2421 didn't sound anywhere near as good on the plastic horn as it does on my homemade jobbies. Also I'm currently using Waynes recomendation of 4 cu' for the 2235H instead of JBL's 5 cu' which I tried in the previous incarnation of this design and was very unhappy with. The 4cu' cabinets have much tighter sounding bass IMO.
    Kelly
    FYI ; JBL 2345 horns come up for sale once in a while on eBay .

If they interest you / perhaps buy them / & then clone them in wood, the"Kelly Way" ( ie; he worked with having an example "in hand" / rather than from "blue-prints or plans" ) .

<> EarlK

Thread Information