Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
Possibly a useful point that warrants discussion is to ask why do you need to use an active crossover?

Hi Ian/All

I hope you don't mind if I piggyback my question on this thread since it touches on Ian's replies.

I am running a L100S whose XO duanage modified for me. It has a crossover where the woofer has been separated to make it bi-ampable. It has dual binding posts, with bridging bars to run it in normal mode. It has L-pads added to the mid/tweet.

I am currently running it with an Adcom 555/500 GTP pre in the normal fashion. On it's way is an Adcom 535 which I will dedicate to the mid/tweet.

The reason for this approach is because I have heard opinions that the adcom 535 is the best sounding of all the Adcoms, and I wanted to offer that to the top end of the speakers, and retain the power of a big- amp system,.

My question is, should I look to use and active XO as a pre-amp filter to reduce the load/frequency's the amps need to reproduce, before getting to the passive XO?

Should I use the active XO to let the 555 power the woofer directly?

I have no particular desire to use an active XO, other than acknowledge that it waste's alot of the amps power not to do so.

I get the drift of the posts here that an active XO is not a good solution.

EDIT: I'm also curious if the active XO could address phase issues between the Woofer/mid at the XO point.