Thread: Digital or analog crossover ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Digital or analog crossover ?

I apologize if the issue has been already discussed here
    I have become very very interested in active crossovers after reading an interesting article comparing active and passive ones
    The same article states the superiority of digital crossovers on analogue ones
    Could you give me your point of view or, eventually, redirect me to any old 3Ds on this issue ?
    Thank you very much indeed.
    Regards,

Gino

I am not sure there is a specific discussion on just this topic, but indirectly there have been numerous discussions about various digital and analog crossovers.

I have used numerous inexpensive analog crossovers as well as the DEQX digital and a handful of expensive analog crossovers. In general digital offers much more control and is more flexible, but I don't think any commercially available digital electronic crossovers are as sonically invisible as the best analog units are... so far. They have gotten better and better, but right now in 2011, I would still go with analog. The possible exception would be if I used a digital crossover with digital outputs feeding an appropriate number of sonically superior DACs... Bryston BDA-1, Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC, or something along these lines... but at that point you are spending some "real money".

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I am not sure there is a specific discussion on just this topic, but indirectly there have been numerous discussions about various digital and analog crossovers.
    I have used numerous inexpensive analog crossovers as well as the DEQX digital and a handful of expensive analog crossovers. In general digital offers much more control and is more flexible, but I don't think any commercially available digital electronic crossovers are as sonically invisible as the best analog units are... so far. They have gotten better and better, but right now in 2011, I would still go with analog.
    The possible exception would be if I used a digital crossover with digital outputs feeding an appropriate number of sonically superior DACs... Bryston BDA-1, Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC, or something along these lines... but at that point you are spending some "real money".
    Widget
    Thank you very much indeed for your valuable and kind reply
    I would like to stay on the cheap side. I will follow discussion on analogue units then.
    By the way the feature that intrigues me about digital X-over is the possibility to have very steep slopes
    But I do not understand what makes a 48dB/octave filter so much better than a 24dB/octave ( the maximum for most of analogue units).
    Regards,
    gino

[QUOTE=Mr. Widget;320377] ... sonically invisible... Widget

I swear ... the last one
    This "sonically invisible" is making me wondering
    Do you rely on listening tests or measurements to assess this property ?
    I feel this is a topic issue in general.
    Thank you very much indeed.
    Regards,
    gino

You can look at a laundry list of beautiful measurements and still find a piece of electronics sounds hard nasally and compressed. You have to listen. Ideally with a highly revealing system and in a good room.

Widget

[QUOTE=Mr. Widget;321256]
    You can look at a laundry list of beautiful measurements and still find a piece of electronics sounds hard nasally and compressed.
    You have to listen.
    Ideally with a highly revealing system and in a good room.
    Widget

Thank you sincerely Mr Widget ! nice and clear
    I asked because I read somewhere here in the forum of people playing with square waves to asses a component's transparency.
    But I definitely understand the point
    I am a little sad but I have to accept the reality
    Kind regards,
    gino

There are often two (or more) paths to the same destination. Some will say "This is the better path because it's short, straight, and gets you there the quickest." Others will say, "This is the better path because it follows a meandering stream, has beautiful flowers, features signing birds, and has an aura of arcadian beauty and pastoral romanticism about it." Someone else will say, "This is the better path because it goes high among the peaks, with grand vistas and shocking drops, and it enervates the soul and energizes the body."

Mr. Widget and I like different paths, but we at least agree on the methodology: listen.
    Out.

Hi Widget, Dome...long time

I have used numerous inexpensive analog crossovers as well as the DEQX digital

Widget
    Had to chime in on this....There is a huge difference between the Deqx you had and the current offering. They have done a great job in HDP-3 and continue to upgrade it all the time. As you know.....I like the product but am not fussy about the company. That being said, I would have no trouble suggesting someone purchase one. Marchand builds some great active crossovers in the 2-3k range.

Nice to see you guys are alive and kicking...be well.

Ken

nsive analog crossovers as well as the DEQX digital and a handful of expensive analog crossovers. In general digital offers much more control and is more flexible, but I don't think any commercially available digital electronic crossovers are as sonically invisible as the best analog units are... so far. They have gotten better and better, but right now in 2011, I would still go with analog. The possible exception would be if I used a digital crossover with digital outputs feeding an appropriate number of sonically superior DACs... Bryston BDA-1, Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC, or something along these lines... but at that point you are spending some "real money".

Widget
    I am using the JBL M553 for my active setup. It is the weakest link as all my other components are of the "high end" variety. It is just that I have not found an alternative analog active crossover that can do what it does. The only real quality item that I have found is either the Bryston 10B, or the Marchand Electronics series, but they also do not offer the same functionality. On Ebay there are loads of alternatives, but they all seem very old / shabby built, or lack the 4th order LR and the CD compensation the M553 offers. Or they are vintage Accuphase F15's or Sony / Pioneer etc that are just too old to function without a full recap anyway.

I think I'll upgrade the coupling capacitors in my M553 and see where that brings me. But I am open to good suggestions for analog electronic crossovers.

Thread Information