Name:  s4700 xo drivers.jpg
Views: 5830
Size:  40.4 KBName:  newsheadline_1315556886_image2_1.jpg
Views: 8862
Size:  380.2 KBName:  s4700.jpg
Views: 10109
Size:  33.0 KB

baby K2 nice

I like that slab of marble in the middle picture.
    Out.

I like that slab of marble in the middle picture.
    I wonder if you can order them as an optional base?? Is that a JBL logo on it??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Those images don't seem to match the JBL images here:

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/jbl/hifi/s4600/

Also noted that JBL says it's using the LE14H-4 driver.

Name:  intro.jpg
Views: 6442
Size:  61.4 KB

That link is for the S4600, not the S4700.

"Those images don't seem to match the JBL images here:

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/jbl/hifi/s4600/

Also noted that JBL says it's using the LE14H-4 driver."

Quote Originally Posted by 10 Watt Street View Post
    That link is for the S4600, not the S4700.
    Oops, I was bit by the google search results bug.

I wonder how much difference there really is between them. The LE14H-4 is certainly a capable driver.

just purchased JBL s4700

Hi all, my name is mick. I haven't been on this site for a number of years, I first joined in 2001 I think it was. I have been lucky enough over the years to own most of what I consider JBL's big gun speakers, L100 centurys, L300 Summits, 4350b's(my favourites) and up till about 4 years ago the 4435's. Also I have operated a regional PA hire company, we have used most of JBL's pro range including PRX, VRX, EON, and Vertec. I guess this gives me a good grounding on the JBL product and clearly it can be seen that I am a great fan of the JBL brand.
    About 8 weeks ago I decided it was time to relax a bit and enjoy a some of JBL's offerings for home use again. I had my sights firmly set on the Array 1400's. I found a dealer in Sydney who had a pair in stock so I flew over to check them out. Well I have to tell you they were beautiful things to look at, the finish was great. Unfortunately thats where it ended, the sound was nothing I had come to expect from JBL, they had no life, I think if you were 60 and liked listening to elevator music they may have been ok. They did seem refined and grown up, but they had none of the "pesence and forwardness" of the models I had come to love in the past. They certainly didn't sound live and there was no way I was dropping down $14k for them. Wasn't a great day so flew back to Perth left wondering what was I to do. I then decided to check out some offerings B&W and focal, all nice but after doing over 800 live gigs over the past years it is hard to settle on a sound that isn't true to the original performance or recording, with all due respect, I think some of these HIFI sales folk need to get out to some live gigs and listen to some music, they seem to get tied up in this part number or that material, anyway I was on the net looking at some other offerings and come apon the new JBL s4700, $20k US. Another flight to Sydney, another dealer and I was standing in front of a pair of what has become my new best friends, no they didn't have the high gloss space age looks of the Array's, but wow, these things are everything I remember about all the JBL's I had owned in the past, the soundstage and placement of all the instruments and a snear and kick sounded as they should. There was that slightly forward presence and the vocals were clear and no break up of components at higher SPL's. I could ramble for hours, these things are amazing in my humble opinion. The only thing I don't like is the cherry finish, when mine arive in November we will strip them and refinish them in high gloss piano black.
    The electronics to go with my new toys are, an ipod, Wadia 171 dock, Bryston BDA 1 DAC, and a Music Fidelity Mi6500 (500wpc) intergated amp. And I will have some fun with some cables when its all burnt in, I can't wait till November......

Nice spkrs Mick!

I'll bet it will be a long time before you get tired of those new spkrs!

Ron sends...
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by S4700 View Post
    Hi all, my name is mick. I haven't been on this site for a number of years, I first joined in 2001 I think it was. I have been lucky enough over the years to own most of what I consider JBL's big gun speakers, L100 centurys, L300 Summits, 4350b's(my favourites) and up till about 4 years ago the 4435's. Also I have operated a regional PA hire company, we have used most of JBL's pro range including PRX, VRX, EON, and Vertec. I guess this gives me a good grounding on the JBL product and clearly it can be seen that I am a great fan of the JBL brand.
    About 8 weeks ago I decided it was time to relax a bit and enjoy a some of JBL's offerings for home use again. I had my sights firmly set on the Array 1400's. I found a dealer in Sydney who had a pair in stock so I flew over to check them out. Well I have to tell you they were beautiful things to look at, the finish was great. Unfortunately thats where it ended, the sound was nothing I had come to expect from JBL, they had no life, I think if you were 60 and liked listening to elevator music they may have been ok. They did seem refined and grown up, but they had none of the "pesence and forwardness" of the models I had come to love in the past. They certainly didn't sound live and there was no way I was dropping down $14k for them. Wasn't a great day so flew back to Perth left wondering what was I to do. I then decided to check out some offerings B&W and focal, all nice but after doing over 800 live gigs over the past years it is hard to settle on a sound that isn't true to the original performance or recording, with all due respect, I think some of these HIFI sales folk need to get out to some live gigs and listen to some music, they seem to get tied up in this part number or that material, anyway I was on the net looking at some other offerings and come apon the new JBL s4700, $20k US. Another flight to Sydney, another dealer and I was standing in front of a pair of what has become my new best friends, no they didn't have the high gloss space age looks of the Array's, but wow, these things are everything I remember about all the JBL's I had owned in the past, the soundstage and placement of all the instruments and a snear and kick sounded as they should. There was that slightly forward presence and the vocals were clear and no break up of components at higher SPL's. I could ramble for hours, these things are amazing in my humble opinion. The only thing I don't like is the cherry finish, when mine arive in November we will strip them and refinish them in high gloss piano black.
    The electronics to go with my new toys are, an ipod, Wadia 171 dock, Bryston BDA 1 DAC, and a Music Fidelity Mi6500 (500wpc) intergated amp. And I will have some fun with some cables when its all burnt in, I can't wait till November......

Hey Mick, congratulations! Sounds like you've had some great JBLs over the years..

I had my sights firmly set on the Array 1400's. I found a dealer in Sydney who had a pair in stock so I flew over to check them out. Well I have to tell you they were beautiful things to look at, the finish was great. Unfortunately thats where it ended, the sound was nothing I had come to expect from JBL, they had no life, I think if you were 60 and liked listening to elevator music they may have been ok.
    We all have different tastes, and I think it's good if we respect that. I don't have 1400 Arrays, but I am over 60 and I like them. I even sort of like elevator music, but my main two-channel system is K2 S9900s, and besides 50s to 80s rock 'n' roll, I'm a really big fan of hard rock, heavy metal, trance, dance, and club mix music, along with the typical classical, chamber, baroque, big band, jazz, acoustic, pop, K-pop, J-pop, and Eastern transcendental stuff. The K2s will handle all of it with aplomb.

I like your enthusiasm. Please don't think those of us who are over 60 and like 1400 Arrays (among many others, I've got K2s, S/2600s, XPL200As, L250s, "PT250s", L7s, and 4430s in stereo set ups) are somehow incapable of liking good music and great speakers. Enjoy!!
    Out.

Hi Titanium Dome, thanks for the congrats, yes I have had a bunch of JBL's over the years and I am very happy with my purchase. I got to tell you though I was supprised at what I heard with the Array 1400, I love the look of the things where most don't, I wish the S4700's looked as cool. If I had to compare the Array to anything, it would be the Ti 250 which I find a little layed back for my tastes. I'm 50 years of age, and my music taste is vast to say the least, I love big bands and the dynamics and range that style of music evokes!
    Last year I did some shows for Tom Burlingson (as FOH engineer), he is a famous actor here in Australia who also sings and does a great show tributing the "Rat Pack". The artists in his 10 piece band are all from the WA consevatorium. after doing live shows of this calibre, you become anal as to how things sound in terms of instrument placement to affect the most accurate soundstage, especially when the audience can see the band, this is especially critical when there are solos! and for me, in the playback world I need to believe what I am listening to. The S4700 seems to give me that feeling of been at the show. The soundstage of these things is mind blowing, although maybe a bit forward, within a few minutes of listening, the boxes disapeared and I was listening to the instruments, on 1 track I commented to the sales guy about the particular sound of the snare drum, (a maple DW), he looked at me and said yeah!! ( I knew he did know what I was on about). My point being, these things reproduced the music faithfully to what I had heard in the live world, they did it with authority and with very little signiture of their own, I have to say with the S4700, JBL got it spot on! If the S4700 is anything to go by, I can't emagine what the K2 or Everest are like.
    When I auditioned these speakers, I used a mix of live recordings and other tunes I had down loaded from itunes, who would of thought you could ever seriously get exited about an ipod as a source?? the Wadia 171i matched to the Bryston BDA 1 is amazing to say the least. Anyway I can't wait for these things to arrive so I can get to enjoy them. I would love to have heard a pair of the K2's, but they are few and far between here.
    Does the K2 have that layed back sound of a Ti 250, or is it more aggresve like a 43xx??,

Obsolete
    Congratulations on your purchase!

I got to tell you though I was supprised at what I heard with the Array 1400, I love the look of the things where most don't, I wish the S4700's looked as cool.
    SAM1HF on top of the low frequency transducer of choice for those who like DIY. I personally prefer the looks of the S4700 even though the vertical horn does sound better to most people.

My point being, these things reproduced the music faithfully to what I had heard in the live world, they did it with authority and with very little signiture of their own, I have to say with the S4700, JBL got it spot on! If the S4700 is anything to go by, I can't emagine what the K2 or Everest are like.
    The K2 and Everest are different, smoother, less presence and forwardness, yet still quite impressive with their power and dynamics. The S4700 and S3900 are very similar. The designer seems quite happy with both systems. It has been suggested that the low frequency design in the S4700 might be the future of all JBL systems going forward providing neo stabilizes in price.

The network has a major impact on these components, for example, the 1400 Array and SAM1HF have the more expensive compression drivers (but different networks, hence different voicing) and the 4365 has the more expensive transducers by a good margin, yet the S4700 seems to be preferred. For instance, the designer himself has said that, in his opinion, the S4700 is more lively and musical compared to the 4365. The 4365, K2-S9900 and the new DD65000 all use the outstanding 476Mg compression driver. The 476Be is reserved for the DD66000 and DD67000.

Obsolete
    I wonder how much difference there really is between them. The LE14H-4 is certainly a capable driver.
    Something like fifty years of low frequency transducer evolution...

But I still like the LE14 very much.

It is interesting just how many JBL systems use the compression drivers used in this latest S4700. Many, many systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    I wonder if you can order them as an optional base?? Is that a JBL logo on it??

Rob

I am curious as well. How to find out? The search is on.......for one that will 'fit' the 1400 Array (A speaker system which I enjoy).
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Thread Information