Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: 3 ways to climb Everest

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The designer of the Everest II didn't seem too impressed. He asked me if it was photoshopped.

Obviously people can do whatever they want (and quite often do, lol) but that's a whole chunk of change to be turning upsidedown and stacking. To each their own.
    Was it made clear to him that he only was using the bass drivers? There's a lot to be said for multilocating bass.....

And agreed- absurdly pricey way of doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    Was it made clear to him that he only was using the bass drivers?
    Even better. The 476Be and 045Be should then be partet out

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post

...to me.
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    ...to me.

BTW - I did get the 476Be EDS that you asked for Guido but there isn't one for the 045Be. I'll try and post the EDS tomorrow or Friday along with the remarks about the 045Be.

I also received the engineering drawings for the 1500AL frame that can be modified for the C16R1501AL-2 kit (all the other various kits fit without modification). If you're interested I'll send the information to you. It will require you to machine the 1500AL frames but JBL says that is very doable (it takes DIY to another level).

I'll probably just wait until the drivers become available over the counter, especially since the recone kits don't appear to be available in North America.

I would be pleasantly surprised if JBL didn't price the 1501AL-2 really high.

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    Was it made clear to him that he only was using the bass drivers? There's a lot to be said for multilocating bass.....

And agreed- absurdly pricey way of doing it.
    Yes, yes it is absurdly pricey way of doing it; until you realize that 1) you can't get the woofer alone, 2) it's a MUCH cheaper solution than his other speakers were. The sale of his Utopias, at a loss no less, paid for both sets of Everest's with enough left over for another pair of 28B's for...some reason. Oh, right, the bi and di pole experiments later on. Maybe, if I can peel the client away from this solution long enough to try it out.

The designer of the Everest II didn't seem too impressed. He asked me if it was photoshopped.

Obviously people can do whatever they want (and quite often do, lol) but that's a whole chunk of change to be turning upsidedown and stacking. To each their own.
    Well, we wanted a constant directivity platform of the highest quality, and the single pair was exactly that; except that he was NOT getting the sound stage HEIGHT he was used to. He wanted that, and wanted to stay with the same layout, and to have spare Be drivers since JBL doesn't seem to want to carry those in stock. As in, we are NOT using the horn drivers in the upper unit.

The mode cancellation was a happy side effect, and with the power of the XTA unit at my disposal, I could do some very fine tuning on time delays, FR, active crossover, and so on. I was planning on using some sub woofers in an active cancellation array, but it's no longer necessary.

Cost is not an issue because I have gotten him to sell off things like $100k Transparent Audio cables, $20k worth of individual "audiophile" power filters (cost less to install separate lab-grade power panel with pedigreed balancing transformer for the entire room), Halcro monoblocks, and a host of stupid expensive, questionable quality, gear.

What we have now is a floor to ceiling sense of sound stage, as he wanted, with the JBL dynamics and in-room frequency control. The eq solution, combined with the active xover and time delays, gives us a delicacy of touch on strings and pianos, while also having enormous bottom-end power and speed. It is subjectively faster now than the single-pair setup was, as one would expect with active cancellation. What's not to like there?

BTW - I did get the 476Be EDS that you asked for Guido but there isn't one for the 045Be. I'll try and post the EDS tomorrow or Friday along with the remarks about the 045Be.
    Cool! Thank you.

I also received the engineering drawings for the 1500AL frame that can be modified for the C16R1501AL-2 kit (all the other various kits fit without modification). If you're interested I'll send the information to you. It will require you to machine the 1500AL frames but JBL says that is very doable (it takes DIY to another level). .
    That would be interesting although I'm very very pleased with my Everest clone as is. But one never knows
    You should have my email somewhere.

I'll probably just wait until the drivers become available over the counter, especially since the recone kits don't appear to be available in North America.

I would be pleasantly surprised if JBL didn't price the 1501AL-2 really high.
    Over the counter? Hmmm.... Are there any changes in thinking of component sales?

Obsolete
    What's not to like there?
    I get the impression that it is the visual horror of it that stops most people cold.

Obviously there is going to be a certain number of people that aren't bothered at all about the visual aspect and they will concentrate primarily on the technical aspect. For most people though, I suspect a veil would solve the issue. And then there are a few people that could never wrap their heads around flipping Everest II's and stacking them. Those people could never be allowed a look behind the veil.But I doubt you really need to justify anything.

If the client is happy, and nobody dies because of it, that's all that matters.
    Over the counter? Hmmm.... Are there any changes in thinking of component sales?
    Highly doubtful. I think this will be a one of a kind situation primarily driven by people who already paid their sixty grand and would like the option of upgrading their investment. While you and I see that as an obvious thing, there are evidently a few people at JBL who just don't get it...

Are recone kit for 1501Al-1 and 1501Al-2 going to be available
    will the new kit fit in the 1500Al driver

I get the impression that it is the visual horror of it that stops most people cold.

Obviously there is going to be a certain number of people that aren't bothered at all about the visual aspect and they will concentrate primarily on the technical aspect. For most people though, I suspect a veil would solve the issue. And then there are a few people that could never wrap their heads around flipping Everest II's and stacking them. Those people could never be allowed a look behind the veil.But I doubt you really need to justify anything.

If the client is happy, and nobody dies because of it, that's all that matters.Highly doubtful. I think this will be a one of a kind situation primarily driven by people who already paid their sixty grand and would like the option of upgrading their investment. While you and I see that as an obvious thing, there are evidently a few people at JBL who just don't get it...

I have to agree that the WAF is pretty minimal on an Everest Stack. Lucky for him, no wife has ever told him what he can do in "his" room. He is an old-school man. Remember when the men made the speaker choice? So, so long ago......

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Rippy View Post
    I have to agree that the WAF is pretty minimal on an Everest Stack. Lucky for him, no wife has ever told him what he can do in "his" room. He is an old-school man. Remember when the men made the speaker choice? So, so long ago......
    WAF??? The only negative comments I've heard were from guys.

Like I said, not everyone is going to like it and it doesn't matter because they don't have to like it. The guy footing the bill is the only one who has to be pleased.

Obsolete
    Are recone kits for 1501Al-1 and 1501Al-2 going to be available?

Will the new kit fit in the 1500Al driver
    The only cone kits that are “exchangeable” are the foam/rubber half roll assemblies.

Example, you can use the new 1501AL-1 kit in older 1500AL hardware. I would recommend this actually, since it is easier than modifying frames for the 1501AL-2 kit.

The new 1501AL-2 cloth edge is unique and large enough to need a modified frame for additional clearance.

The various kits are listed in the first drawing.

Additional information:

It is not possible to put the 1501AL-2 software (cone-kit) into the existing 1500AL hardware.

However, there are options:

1) Remove 1500AL frame and install the 1501AL-2 frame p/n 250-0274-002 (see attached), which has angled cut on frame inner diameter to allow extra clearance for cloth surround (during inward displacement). Good luck with this option!

2) Modify existing 1500AL frame by removing frame material for same angle cut/diameter to allow clearance for cloth edge (see drawing for dimensions – essentially flush with existing angled wall). This is a very achievable option!

3) Then you would use cone kit p/n
    C16R1501AL-2 and install using typical procedure.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

WAF??? The only negative comments I've heard were from guys.

Like I said, not everyone is going to like it and it doesn't matter because they don't have to like it. The guy footing the bill is the only one who has to be pleased.
    I was not referring to the comments here, but merely acknowledging that most guys would NEVER get such a thing past their significant-other.

That said, you are quite correct. What the client wants, the client gets, and it is a great thing when it actually turns out well. Even more so when one learns a great deal from the project.

Quote Originally Posted by vivaregina View Post
    Change value of R8 reisitor from 3 Ohm to 2.7 Ohm to lower the brightness.
    As recommended by Mr. G.T.

Attachment 54734
    Do anybody know the Physical size of the 2.7 ohm resistor??

Quote Originally Posted by Brian DK View Post
    Do anybody know the Physical size of the 2.7 ohm resistor??
    And again.. Why a lower resistor to lower the output level?
    Should it not be a resistor with higher value.?

Thread Information