Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 ways to climb Everest

In the process of running in ...

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by ginetto61 View Post
    So if I understand well the midrange driver actually can reach let's say 15-16kHz flat
    but it become too directional at those frequencies ?
    Yes.

If I remember correctly Greg brought the 045 in around 20 kHz in the Everest II (paired with the 476Be) and around 15 kHz in the S9900 (paired with the 476Mg).
    Quote Originally Posted by vivaregina View Post
    Thanks!
    OK, I showed the settings for the 150Hz woofer earlier.

The 750Hz woofer settings are set to 18/24db slope
    Pole1, 6db, 530Hz, Q is M.
    Pole2, 12db, 480Hz, Q is M.
    Pole3, 18db, 750Hz, Q is H.
    Pole4, 24db, 750Hz, Q is H.

If you have a different setting, do share.
    I need to duplicate your settings in my DX-1's. A bit more work to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I need to duplicate your settings in my DX-1's. A bit more work to be sure.
    Yes please for all 3 settings !
    Mr. Timbers suggested the roll off on the 2nd woofer is not that important.
    Would you jiggle anything?

I tried each section separately and the impression was most of the sound was coming from the 750Hz woofer. But of course, you do not want your flour and eggs separately, you want the cake.

Yes.
    If I remember correctly Greg brought the 045 in around 20 kHz in the Everest II (paired with the 476Be) and around 15 kHz in the S9900 (paired with the 476Mg)...
    Thank you very much indeed
    I was thinking that a "K2 like" use of the Everest could be tempting.
    Nevertheless I understand that the K2 "...will always remain in Everest's shadow"
    kind regards,
    gino

Obsolete
    Yes please for all 3 settings !
    Mr. Timbers suggested the roll off on the 2nd woofer is not that important.
    Would you jiggle anything?
    I'm still stuck in passive mode and the dual woofers are too much in my smaller, more cube shaped room compared with Greg's larger, more rectangular room. Going active will allow me to cut the power down going to the second woofer and/or change the crossover frequency, in my case probably down a bit. My two DX-1's are sitting on the bench with their tops open like virtually everything else I have to do. There's just no time these days. (I inherited Paul Bente's DX-1's, I believe both he and Greg went with the Pass Labs networks like you have).

Getting them up off the floor like you did really helps to marginalize the floor boundary. Four fifteens on the floor can be torrid. I ran into similar issues with 4355's and 4435's.

One thing is for sure, these fifteens have the most beautiful resolution I've yet experienced. Their entire bandwidth is stunningly good (and I'm using "grungy" old Citation 22's for power). Jerry did a killer job on their design.

I'd say JBL nailed the fifteen-inch two-way design once and for all.

4313B, I'd love to read (and see) more about your current design!

One thing that's not mentioned in the XVR-1 manual is the ability to make each filter high pass, low pass, or band pass. The manual only mentions high/low pass and daisy chaining the units. You can run them parallel and use each unit to bandpass a driver, or bandpass one driver with one unit and split the other two drivers with the other unit, eg: run a woofer and a tweeter off one unit and bandpass the mid off the other unit.

Just some trivia, I don't expect anyone is too enthusiastic over these crossovers.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    One thing that's not mentioned in the XVR-1 manual is the ability to make each filter high pass, low pass, or band pass. The manual only mentions high/low pass and daisy chaining the units. You can run them parallel and use each unit to bandpass a driver, or bandpass one driver with one unit and split the other two drivers with the other unit, eg: run a woofer and a tweeter off one unit and bandpass the mid off the other unit.
    Actually that point isn't trivial... I helped a friend set up a pair of multi-amped speakers using the XVR-1s (initially quad amped and later tri-amped). Using the "secret" band pass jumper setting sounded significantly better than using them in the cascaded fashion.

Widget

Obsolete
    You might want to pass that on to Greg too. I think he was doing the daisy chain thing.

If I just split the source output into two, go direct into each crossover, hope the impedence does not change to affect the sound. Because the way this is set up is with an overlapping woofer freq., each box is doing its independent thing.

like this ... I had to match the voltage again. Not that big a change. On a blind test I probably cannot tell the difference.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Actually that point isn't trivial... I helped a friend set up a pair of multi-amped speakers using the XVR-1s (initially quad amped and later tri-amped). Using the "secret" band pass jumper setting sounded significantly better than using them in the cascaded fashion.
    Here's that drawing he had made. He may have changed it by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Must be that dang big inductor and electroletic capacitor on the helper woofer
    Yeah, ~ 0.8 ohms on the primary woofer and ~ 1.3 ohms on the secondary woofer.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Just some trivia, I don't expect anyone is too enthusiastic over these crossovers.
    Due to cost?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Due to cost?
    Yeah, you could buy 10 Behringer DCX 2496s for what just a 2 way XVR-1 will set you back (and his is 3 way). I was able to save a bit by not needing a second power supply module, there is the same power connector (looks like the old parallel printer cable in the pics) on the back of my preamp. So 2 control units off one power supply module and one control unit off the preamp.

Regarding the selection of electronic crossovers, I can only describe my journey on the Everests. I had cards made for the Marchand tube & ss, tried the Bryston, did not try my older JBL and DBX units.

The sound from the Marchand was slightly warmer on the tubes but it was a trade off against the bass detail. I do go back to it depending on my mood, and the type of music. The freq on the Brystons did not match well.

In the end, I wanted to walk the path Mr. Timbers. His crossover for the 2nd woofer is from a circuit he built, but he already had the 3 settings for the Pass Labs. I thought about my DIY skills, and decided to go with full Pass Labs. If anyone out there has a photo of his circuit, it would be very interesting to see.

Other Everest crossover stories are welcomed, I am always curious.

Thread Information