Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Look what I found in my local classifieds!

Look what I found in my local classifieds!

a NEW pair of JBL T205 automotive speakers (1985). I couldn't believe it, he bought them back in the mid 80's and just never got around to install them. very impressive die-cast frame, ribbon-wire voice coil, the look and feel is typical JBL. the logo's just have to reattched. what a score!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by bluejazzer View Post
    a NEW pair of JBL T205 automotive speakers (1985). I couldn't believe it, he bought them back in the mid 80's and just never got around to install them. very impressive die-cast frame, ribbon-wire voice coil, the look and feel is typical JBL. the logo's just have to reattched. what a score!!!

No hit on JBL automotive

My favorite speakers for in the car were the old school Boston Acoustics. I dont know JBL for the car, but as anyone here knows I believe in their great home and pro level stuff, but my 2 sets of Boston Acoustic 3 ways are still kicking a$$ all these years later. They're my second set, as the original 2 sets of 3 ways are in my Mitz 3000GT VR4.

I built a second system with the better equalization in the late 90's, but have 12 of the old school z-220's which are 0.05% THD, 115 wpc 8 ohm, and are 2 ohm capable. Into a 8 ohm sub they deliver 325 wpc.

Each system is driven by 4 of the Zapco Z-220's at 115 watts per speaker, using two 10"Boston Acoustic pro level subs.

The original system won Dallas Crank it Up 1989 Stealth Install Mode (as it looked totally factory). Each system used Audiocontrol EQX's for signal processing; and a 5V headunit (Pioneer DEH800 PRS).

And now you know the reason I have a 35 dB hearing loss, as car stereos played at stratospheric levels are hazardous to your hearing. BTW the Zapco Z220 was the foreunner to their studio series amps.
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Quote Originally Posted by lgvenable View Post
    And now you know the reason I have a 35 dB hearing loss

OUCH!
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Nice to see pictures of the old T series automotive speaker. I believe the T-205 is the smallest of four models that were produced around 1983 (maybe earlier), which included a 5 inch round and two 6X9 elliptical speakers (I don’t recall the model numbers). The T series was engineered by Dennis Crosson, and the industrial design was by Doug Warner. Except for the tweeter and midrange which was purchased from China, the rest of the speaker was manufactured in the Northridge plant alongside all the professional speakers.
    The T series weren’t produced very long because of several problems. They were expensive to manufacture, they were bulky and heavy and took a lot of room to install, and the four mounting holes for the screws were too small and didn’t conform to any standard mounting pattern. Originally, they didn’t even include a mounting template to guide the consumer, which caused a lot of complaints. You needed to do a lot of cutting to fit most cars. Worst of all, they didn’t really sound that good. In the end, only the 6X9 three-way was produced for diehards. The T series was JBL’s first effort in automotive sound, and I don’t think they really understood the market at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by bill8888 View Post
    The T series weren’t produced very long because of several problems.
    I thought T595 (6x9) was the best selling carspeaker JBL ever manufactured? It came out early 90s and has been for sale for aprox 15 years But I did in fact prefer the original T545 over the newer T595!

I had a bunch of T, TM and TL eary 90s, the T series also included subwoofers, up to 18"! It was the premium series until the GTI series arrived.

I still have a bunch of the T series drivers.

In use, two T100's, two T80's.

On the shelf, three T150's, two T100's and four T65's. All need refoamed and one T150 needs to be reconed.

What I like about the T series subs is they don't take a ton of power to make them bark and the tweets in the 65's really sparkle.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Just wanted to add some more pics for those who like this line. I had two pair of T545's in 1986 in a Chevy S-10 and they were nice. People thought I had several 10 inch subs, but no, just the 4 - 6x9's.

I now have a pair of the T595's and a pair of Cerwin Vega CS-18A in my listening room just for nostalgia. The very best 6x9's ever were the JBL t545, the Cerwin CS-18A and the Magnums(not sure who made these).

Pics are:
    JBL T205
    JBL T420
    JBL T425
    JBL T540
    JBL T545

Here are the Cerwin Vega CS-18A.

t545 memories

In the early 90's I had a set of t545's mounted in speaker boxes and
    a pair of 8" bazooka tubes stolen out of my car at a bowling alley one night.
    Recently while cleaning out my garage I found the amps that I used with this
    system. Now 20+ years later I am in the process of using these old amps to
    rebuild a system similar to what Is once had. I loved the t545's. A friend had the
    Cerwin Vega 6 x 9's around the same time and they were great too.

Quote Originally Posted by elshout View Post
    Here are the Cerwin Vega CS-18A.
    These were nice too!

I've got a pair of old school TL 900 in my garage still pumping away. Refoamed and mounted in boxes with my old alpine car stereo driving them. 65 watts per channel seemed pretty big back in the mid 80's.

Any pictures of the TL 900?

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    I've got a pair of old school TL 900 in my garage still pumping away. Refoamed and mounted in boxes with my old alpine car stereo driving them. 65 watts per channel seemed pretty big back in the mid 80's.

Thanks for the pics and memories! The first time I heard the T545 was from a car passing me in 1985. I turned around and followed the guy home to find out what speaker he had. I thought for sure he'd shoot me or something. Of course, he said JBL.

Just had these given t545 6x9

What are they worth? They are of no use to me as I have a full audio system and may sell these and upgrade my sub
    brand new in box
    never been used
    Jbl t545 6x9 speakers

Thread Information