Thread: What to keep and what to sell?

What to keep and what to sell?

Well - Here is the question.

I now have:

1) This pair of Altec 604e with 1500 crossover. Huge beasts
    2) Pair of Trusonic Mystery period speakers -
    see thread here -
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ht=#post315338
    3) pair of JBL L150a - waiting to be refoamed - all I need to do now is order the kit
    see thread here -
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ht=#post319322
    4) pair of late 70's Klipsch Heresy - Birch cabinets
    5) pair of KEF c15 bookshelf
    6) Advent mini Pair

I need to thin out - So input would be appreciated. From the first four pairs on the list what two do I sell and what do I keep - it is 60% about money and space and 40% about sound (unfortunately. I know that sound is a "personal" thing but I thought some of you might want to share your opinions / feelings.

Have a great day -

DAVE

Quote Originally Posted by calderdoran View Post
    Well - Here is the question.

I now have:

1) This pair of Altec 604e with 1500 crossover. Huge beasts
    2) Pair of Trusonic Mystery period speakers -
    see thread here -
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ht=#post315338
    3) pair of JBL L150a - waiting to be refoamed - all I need to do now is order the kit
    see thread here -
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ht=#post319322
    4) pair of late 70's Klipsch Heresy - Birch cabinets
    5) pair of KEF c15 bookshelf
    6) Advent mini Pair

I need to thin out - So input would be appreciated. From the first four pairs on the list what two do I sell and what do I keep - it is 60% about money and space and 40% about sound (unfortunately. I know that sound is a "personal" thing but I thought some of you might want to share your opinions / feelings.

Have a great day -

DAVE
    So you want to sell 2 of the top 4 speakers in your list? I'd sell the Trusonics for sure and I'd definitely keep the Altec 604E's (if both of them are working properly/sound great after you clean the crossover pots etc.--otherwise re-cone them at GPA--well worth it especially since you bought them so cheap). That leaves the JBL's and the Klipsch. I looked at your JBL thread to check their condition--their condition is a definite factor. In mint condition, I would tell you that IMHO the JBL L150's and the Klipsch Heresy are an apples and oranges comparison. They have a very different "character" to them. The JBL's will have a better low frequency response IMHO, but the mids and highs will sound very different compared to the Klipsch and that is going to be more of a personal preference as far as I'm concerned. Some people swear by the "Klipsch sound", and some people swear AT it! Your thread mentions that your JBL's need at least refoaming (and possibly reconing) and that you've already decided to refoam them. I'd say, if the refoam isn't an adequate repair and it turns out there is voice coil damage to your woofers, I'd consider selling them (and of course inform the buyer of the problem) unless you want to pay to have them professionally reconed (which you indicated in the thread that you're not interested in doing). If the refoam works and they are working properly, as I say it will most likely be pretty obvious to you which pair to sell (the Klipsch or the JBL's) if you do an A/B listening comparison---as they have a very different "timbre" from each other one will most likely sound "better" to you..... Personally, I've never been a big Klipsch fan but I'd still A/B them because that is really a personal preference on my part.....

voice coils

Hello -

The voice coils on the L150a's tested fine with my multimeter - so the only issue is the refoaming. I was leaning towards selling the Klipsch and the Trusonics - The Tursonics sound mighty fine......

Thanks

Keep the L150's, that is a no brainer!

Allan.

Sell everything, then go shopping.

Thread Information