Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stock Altec/JBL Physical Enclosure Information

bob newton
    Not plywood. Partical board!

L100 Enclosure materials

I owned a pair of late model (L100A) L100's in the early 80's, and the enclosure was particle board with walnut veneer. I didn't have too much occassion to remove the drivers (once or twice) as I recall the damping material was a pretty generous amount of the standard fiberglass insulation that you commonly see in speakers. Some other forum members may be able to elaborate further on this...

Peter M.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

9845a

Quote Originally Posted by pualrod
    Altec 9845a Please,Thanks.
    sorry, can only help with:

9846-8A

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Does anyone have informations about front elements positionning on a L100:

• 123A,
    • LE5-2,
    • LE25,
    • vent,
    • Xover panel,
    • Xover knobs holes,
    • grill pegs?
    And what is the height I need to cut on the front panel to place the 123A and what are the two diameters.
    I hope you understand what I mean: it’s difficult to explain for me in english.

This is a picture to clarify (in the red square are the dimensions I am looking for) — I know it’s not a L100 drawing but it’s the only thing as close as a L100 I found:

And do you know the dimensions of this part (port-tube length and diameter)?

I plan to build four L100 enclosures clones. It’s the last info I need before to start assembling parts.

I will take pictures of building operations and finished clone and post it here to share my little experience

L100's used particle board (ouch!) with walnut veneer. was MDF invented then? internal dampening on the original vertical array L100 was strangely done on only 3 of the 6 sides of the box--the opposing side in every case is left bare. the original L100's had a bit of a boomy bass, so i covered all sides except the baffel board and was surprised that it may almost no difference. the response may have been slightly tighter but was almost the same. a friend told me that insulation does not so much affect the fundamental but, rather higher harmonics in the mid bass. don't know if this is true but my experiment would leave me to believe that he is correct.

Bel-Aire

Anyone have the box size for these beauties? The sales brochure lists them as 11 7/8h x 24w x 12d. This must include the legs. Also how wide is the lip on the front, top and bottom.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete

4315 Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Andrew
    I have two ports, each 7 cm in diameter, at each bottom corner of the woofer that extend 8 cm into the cabinet before turning upwards at 90 degrees so I don't know their exact final length. When I stick a ruler in the hole the max penetration is 15 cm.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    Single port, 2.75" ID x 2.5" L.

JBL4410

Hi Guys,
    Will 4410 be of any interest ? Im about to "change oilfilter" and do general service (reforming, filter update, cable-change ect.) on a pair of 4410 and some more measureings here and there would be no problem if anyone appriciate.
    Thanks
    Jens

Obsolete
    Everything Lansing is of interest.

oki, guess i better do it correct then

Altec M500 / 9815-8A cab dims

Hi, all,
    I just posted this info on the Altec forum, and thought it might be of use here as well. There are pictures of both models in the Altec '93 Pro catalog in the library. The M500 components are;
    MR994-8A
    909-8A
    M500 XO w/switchable EQ
    I'm assuming the 9815-8A uses the same components with a re-labeled XO, but I don't KNOW that to be true. The cabs are the same, however;

Altec M500/9815-8A cabinet dimensions and baffle layout;

Cabinet exterior; 26.5"Wx33"Hx17.5"D (M500-black laminate, 9815-8A-unfinished birch)
    Top, sides, and bottom of 11/16" ply, front and rear panels of 3/4" ply
    Top, sides, and bottom are routed (depth unknown) to accept the front and rear panel edges
    Two 1.5" square braces tie front to back panels, uniformly horiz. spaced between woofer and horn cutouts.
    Four 1.5" joint braces glued in side corners front-to-back
    Interior lined with 1.5" fiberglass, except bottom
    Rear panel recessed 3/8"
    Baffle recessed 1" (optional grill fills recess, fastened with 6-10/24 T-nuts to baffle

(Note-baffle layout measurements were taken from the apparrent baffle edges, and don't include the unknown amount glued in the routed perimeter. Woofer and horn are centered horizontally).

Standard, large-frame, front-mounted woofer cutout of 14-1/8", center of which is 9-3/16" up from bottom of baffle
    Only 6 T-bolts (1/4") for woofer, omit the two at 6 and 12 o'clock positions
    Horn cutout is 21"Wx11"H. From baffle bottom to bottom of cutout is 18-9/16"
    Six T-nuts (1/4") placed to fit horn drillings
    Four 3" ID x 4-3/4" (effective length) round ducted ports surround the woofer
    All are 3" from baffle sides to center of port
    Lower pair is 3" up to center, upper pair is 15" up to center from bottom of baffle

Keep it comin', guys, this is a worthy project, especially with boxes disappearing, and drivers in abundance.

Moldyoldy...

The Links don't work. Please fix, and for the sake of posterity, make the effort to post the pictures here, in case your ISP goes away.

Thanks.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Sorry, Bo,

Unfortunately, I currently have no pictures to post, and have corrected the bad links to the plain text they were intended to be. The Altec forum is subject to having popular keywords auto-linked to some commercial marketing search engine, an undesired feature we've all learned to ignore. Evidently, when I copied the text from my post there, the commercial links came with it, and being used to seeing them, I ignored them in my preview.

My apologies, and my compliments to the backbone of the Lansing Heritage site. It's a VERY functional and well-managed resource that I really appreciate.

JBL4410

Hi Guys
    Here are some info about 4410 (year 1990)
    Cabinet dim. 59,9 x 36,2 x 28,7 (cm outside messured) 20mm with walnut veneer.
    Port : 15cm long, 1mm goods (should really be damped with asfalt or similar) area can be counted from the picture of the port-opening. Each square on the paper over the port is 5mm.

Any other pictures can be taken now that the box is open and i just awaite the sorrounds for the 127H-1. The best pics was more than 500Kb, so not uploaded :-(
    Cables and filter will be changed. And measurements of filter before/after will be made.

enjoy

Thread Information