Thread: By-Pass Caps

By-Pass Caps

I know the Audiocap PPT Theta is well thought of here and I have taken that advice and applied it to projects past with good results; I will continue to use them with all things JBL

I am in the process of restoring a pair of speakers that fellow with an old Telefunken radio (actually, a tube receiver); I am not absolutely certain what the outcome will be except to say that after re-capping all 6 drivers will be working! (but just how well will have to remain to be seen; they were not taken very good care of)

So, when I replace the original electrolytics that Telefunken used back in 1963, I figure I might as well install a by-pass, on the tweeters and mids, while the soldering iron is hot; something good enough to leave in place if the drivers all work well, but not expensive enough to warrant removal if they don't

Has anyone used these cheaper alternatives and what were your impressions (if any)

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...citor--027-450

I will be using the Dayton 1% polypropylenes unless someone suggests a good reason not to

And last but not least; please send me some good vibes for my boy; they shipped him back over to Afghanistan this past weekend

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    I have not used the Dayton bypass cab but i have used some of their caps for crossovers on different projects and liked the results.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by allen mueller View Post
    I have not used the Dayton bypass cab but i have used some of their caps for crossovers on different projects and liked the results.

Allen
    Familiar with the standard Daytons; use them often

Used the 1% types once but quickly sold the speakers (Klipsch), so still have no real impression/opinion (the 1% Daytons cost as much or more then the Solens)

My interest is in the film and foil bypass types as indicated

I just recently used those exact by pass caps in my jbl 4410s and had great results, but I've never heard any of the other very costly caps tho....But I replaced the old npe caps and the old bypass caps with Dayton's 1% and the 0.01 bypass caps and it made them sound almost 3D like, I'm very glad I did it!!

Are The audiocap ppt theta's what most people are using for jbl?? I have 2 pair of Altec model 15's that I'm getting ready to recap, there is no by-pass cap originally in the crossovers.....I was thinking about installing poly caps for the hf and the bypass caps on one pair and recap the other pair without bypass caps and listen to the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Juddboz80 View Post
    I just recently used those exact by pass caps in my jbl 4410s and had great results, but I've never heard any of the other very costly caps tho....But I replaced the old npe caps and the old bypass caps with Dayton's 1% and the 0.01 bypass caps and it made them sound almost 3D like, I'm very glad I did it!!

Are The audiocap ppt theta's what most people are using for jbl?? I have 2 pair of Altec model 15's that I'm getting ready to recap, there is no by-pass cap originally in the crossovers.....I was thinking about installing poly caps for the hf and the bypass caps on one pair and recap the other pair without bypass caps and listen to the difference
    Thank you! To be clear, you did your by-pass with the Dayton .01uF film and FOIL in combination with the 1% metallized polypropylene types, yes?
    Thanks again

Thread Information