Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My DIY 4367 variant

My DIY 4367 variant

Hi there,I thought I would share my latest project. I went all in on DIY:ing a pair of M2’s when the parts got available some years back. However, the waveguides didnt work well in my room I tried other waveguides with a more narrow pattern with good effect but they were smaller and I felt they needed a cut off higher than optimal to mate to a 15”. Fast forward a couple of years and the 4367 appears and soon after that some of the horns were available through Speaker Exchange. I managed to get hold of a pair and after evaluating some testboxes I began planning my build. I opted for a slightly higher cabinet to be able to use them without stands, and I also made them somewhat deeper. These two changes increased internal volume which also made it possible for me to seal off the top part behind the horn and make it accessible from the back without sacrificing too much volume for the woofer. This I thought would make it easier to mount the horn and the space could be used for crossovers. At first I wanted to try a passive variant of the 4367 and built the HF crossovers. With the D2 and 4367 horn the measurements are outstanding. However, I’m used to my 2451 with SL dias and like the tone of them so much, so at the moment, they are the ones mounted to the horns. I’d also like to take this opportunity to thank all people on this forum who over the years brought me so much inspiration and shared their knowledge. /Jakob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Uhm, not sure why my line breaks doesnt show... I hope you can read it anyway

Wow!

Beautiful Project Jakob!

Thanks for Sharing!

Here is a picture of the inside and the bracing. I'm not sure why it ends up on its side... A weird perspective nonetheless shot too close with my phone. It looks like the backwall is almost in contact with the brace but it really isnt. I added felt to the bracing as well on all surfaces directly behind the woofer. Where I got that tip? Well, here on this forum of course (thanks to sebakman for that)

EDIT: Corrected rotation- Mr. Widget

The 2451 need to be comfy so I got it a nice feltpadded rest

Very nice.

Thanks for the pictures.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Beautiful job!

Those look great!!! I agree the SL coated 4" drivers sound really nice!!!

Did you keep the frequency trim circuits in place??

I don't see any potentiometers in horn shell??

I did the same thing keeping the horn in a separate section from the woofer cabinet. Easier than trying to seal the horns. Like your bracing in the cabinet!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Very professional looking... and in a good way!

Very nicely done.... these are definitely keepers!

Widget

Great work and thanks for sharing

Would you tell us what the Speaker Exchange part number is for the horn you used?

I have a pair of 2384's I bought from Speaker Exchange that I like. I also bought the M2 horns from Speaker Exchange, but I like the 2384's better in my room.

Would like to try the 4367 horns you are using.

I agree with you the 2451 SL's are really nice sounding.

Kenny
    Kenny Brant

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Those look great!!! I agree the SL coated 4" drivers sound really nice!!!Did you keep the frequency trim circuits in place?? I don't see any potentiometers in horn shell??I did the same thing keeping the horn in a separate section from the woofer cabinet. Easier than trying to seal the horns. Like your bracing in the cabinet! Rob
    Thanks!When I built the crossovers I was looking for some suitable potentiometers but found none so I just used connecting strips and wire instead. You can see the two wires in the middle of the crossover, one going to an array of capacitors and the other to some resistors. Depending on where they are connected to the connecting strips, you get the different attenuations on the D2/horn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Brant View Post
    Would you tell us what the Speaker Exchange part number is for the horn you used?I have a pair of 2384's I bought from Speaker Exchange that I like. I also bought the M2 horns from Speaker Exchange, but I like the 2384's better in my room.Would like to try the 4367 horns you are using.I agree with you the 2451 SL's are really nice sounding.Kenny
    Hi Kenny, The JBL P/N are 111-0013-001. I dont think they are available any longer but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Very professional looking... and in a good way!
    Thanks so much! The idea from the beginning was to only have the baffle and back black and veneer the sides and top in walnut. I got hold of very nice quarter cut paperbacked veneer but unfortunately it went sideways right away. I was going to use the iron on method, but the glue on the back of the veneer was probably not dry enough so when I put the first piece of veneer on the box, it grabbed the glue on the box and pulled a few mm of mdf with it. You can imagine the anxiety when you've worked on something in all your free time for a few months and then see the end result gong down the drain... So I had to use wood fill and sand, wood fill and sand and in the end paint the complete boxes. I'd rather have them veneered but I kind of like them in the M2 look as well

Thread Information