Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Charge Coupled Crossovers in the house

Nice, but noticeable... :(

The Displayed Crossover of LynAllen came out really nice!

It is a shame that Rudy couldn't change 'one' number on those Foilcal's Lyn got from him...4343 instead of "4344" as was her build. I will go hunting for the build

thread but I am sure they look more xx44 than xx43.. It's the little things,...you know!

Kind Regards,
    DogBox [picky, picky!]

new giskard crossovers

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Hello--Welcome to the LH forums. I'll try to answer your question, though I have no direct experience with that speaker. As poster mbotts indicated in post No. 25 above, when building a new crossover for biamping, the components within the dashed lines on the schematic sre omitted. This deletion replicates the effect of moving the built-in biamp external/internal crossover switch (if you have one) to the biamp position. The low pass and high pass for the woofer/midbass handoff are then handled by an external line-level electronic crossover, which you must provide, placed between the preamp and TWO power amps in each stereo channel, one for the woofer and one for the upper three drivers. The type of filter and whether 12, 18, or 24 dB slope would depend on what you have available to you and/or what sounds best to you. The external crossover should be set at about 300 Hz, although, if your crossover has the felixibilty, you might experiment with frequencies a little lower, down to about 250.
    Hi Dang , thanks to reply me, i am so excited for to restore those speakers , it is amazing how many people are still interested for this old Studio Monitors, very soon i will take all measures and prepare a dwg file for who will be interested to a DIY project , this because 4341 are very very rare and i think as i founded many and many informations here, it is correct to give even my small contribute to this forum. BTW, coming back to Giskard project, i have a jbl 5234 electronic crossover, i employ it with my 4333a to bi-amp , i just have to find another jbl pcb cutted at 300 hz , and after restored i think there will be the time to try different cut-off frequency.

Andrea
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Resistor wattage

just wondering if anyone increased the wattage ratings for the resistors, for example to 40watt ratings for the circuit for the horns/mid and 20 watt for the tweeters....would doing so allow higher wattage ampifier use and less heat in the crossover?
    any help would be appreciated as i am ready or order all the parts from Solen. Maybe Mike can shed some light on this. thanks to all of you for keeping JBL alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Mac View Post
    Hi Dang , thanks to reply me, i am so excited for to restore those speakers , it is amazing how many people are still interested for this old Studio Monitors, very soon i will take all measures and prepare a dwg file for who will be interested to a DIY project , this because 4341 are very very rare and i think as i founded many and many informations here, it is correct to give even my small contribute to this forum. BTW, coming back to Giskard project, i have a jbl 5234 electronic crossover, i employ it with my 4333a to bi-amp , i just have to find another jbl pcb cutted at 300 hz , and after restored i think there will be the time to try different cut-off frequency.

Andrea
    JBL 4355 | JBL 4351 | JBL 4425 x 2 | JBL XPL 200 | JBL XPL 160 | JBL 4345

Quote Originally Posted by focalguy View Post
    just wondering if anyone increased the wattage ratings for the resistors, for example to 40watt ratings for the circuit for the horns/mid and 20 watt for the tweeters....would doing so allow higher wattage ampifier use and less heat in the crossover?
    Hi,

wattage of a speaker system mainly is determined by the wattage of the drivers involved. And one watt dissipated in resistors of different wattages still remains one watt of dissipation. The higher wattage resistor will keep cooler, though, due to it's increased surface area.

Best regards!

thanks Kay! ....So i will proceed with the 12 watt mills resistors.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Hi,

wattage of a speaker system mainly is determined by the wattage of the drivers involved. And one watt dissipated in resistors of different wattages still remains one watt of dissipation. The higher wattage resistor will keep cooler, though, due to it's increased surface area.

Best regards!
    JBL 4355 | JBL 4351 | JBL 4425 x 2 | JBL XPL 200 | JBL XPL 160 | JBL 4345

Quote Originally Posted by focalguy View Post
    thanks Kay! ....So i will proceed with the 12 watt mills resistors.....
    The heat will increase resistance. If there's ever doubt, overspec.

New Owner of Lynn Allen's Setup

Quote Originally Posted by mbottz View Post
    For Bi-Amp purposes the components within the dashed lines of the schematic are deleted from the circuit. The LF amp is connected directly to the Woofer. On the original JBL crossovers, changing the switch to Bi-amp mode did the same thing. mb
    Hey Mike! I bought these 4344's and the custom charged crossovers from the fellow that bought them from Lynn years ago. He let me know that Lynn passed and that I should look into threads here to learn more about the original build. I have these currently set up as my house speakers running from a modern Yamaha AS2100 integrated amp (no biamp.. yet). They sound great but I feel they could do more. I am looking to biamp in the future and have started looking into a Mc 225 for the high end and something else for the lows.. also looking at going with something like an Audio Research Classic 120 (both are somewhat local).. Do you know what Lynn ran or have any suggestions for the setup? The previous owner (after Lynn) powered them non biamped with an old Spec 1 & 2 set up which I could get my hands on as well.. Anyways any thoughts from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Glad to see they have a good home

Feel free to pm me for any questions!
    Restoring the legend, one cabinet at a time

Thread Information