Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Electro-Voice Patrician 700....in the HOUSE!!!

I played bass through one of those 30" EVs until the patch job that someone had done to secure the dust cover/dome/voice coil pulled out of the center of the cone. Seems they had used hot glue which the cone wasn't to crazy about. I asked the guy that does my reconing about that speaker and he said it was "squeaky ice chest foam".

It sure was impressive to look at. We always could hear people in the audience say "Look at that speaker!"

The cabinet was huge and a real bugger to move.
    That was in about 1970 I think

Well the spandex didn't work...after I sealed it...it expanded and was just wayyy to soft to hold the cone. So I then decided to go fun foam...its foam...matches the texture of newer surrounds and is flexible enough to let the cone move up and down but it is firm enough to hold the cone for centering. I am just not sure if I should glue it to the first notch in the basket as the original or under the gasket as in newer speakers? Heres the first piece glued on the cone.

HA it worked. I got it glued and center. I got as centered as I possible could, with these speakers your were suppose to rotate them ever year or so but these were never touched and it was hard to get it centered. I turned it upside down for an hour. I then brought in a crappy test receiver to see if I would get any flex/vibs....well it gives plenty of bass just sitting on the table and you can feel the air move.....Tomorrow it will be installed again and see what it does...not factory/not professional but I give myself a gold star for figuring something out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNeCOxqvGE0

Well I pulled the second one, and it is in great shape. Comparing this one to the first, the first will need to be reconed something is wrong with the voice coil. This one is nice and springy and still centered. This one also shows me that my theory was correct that the original foam was flat and in four pieces, coated on the underside with glue/sealer. So my surrounds aren't to far from the originals.

Alright just spent 4 hours installing the second speaker. I tested the woofer before I placed it in and it ran fine on the table, got it in the cabinet all screwed back together and no sound from the 30". So out comes the 60 screws again, found out the problem was in the cross over, clean the pots again, switched capacitors around, resoldered joints and still no go. I then pulled the schematics up for the 800 series and found out the there is no pot on the 30W. I then unscrewed the terminals from the board and touch a battery to them ah sound...so I just hooked the speaker wires to the terminal and we have sound....so 4 hours of head beating to find out that one of the screws was corroded and not letting power into the 30W....Well I did find out I forgot to solder one lead of a hifi cap :roll:....so now they are together and 2" away from the wall and they sound fantastic. Though I have voice coil rub(can't hear it thank goddess unless your behind the speaker) on the 30" because the way the cone was leaning for who knows how many years with no surround and still working on getting a replacement mid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooljjay View Post
    I have voice coil rub(can't hear it thank goddess unless your behind the speaker) on the 30" because the way the cone was leaning for who knows how many years with no surround and still working on getting a replacement mid.
    a good practice is noting the driver orientation b4 removal and when done with the work, reinstalling 180 degrees opposite ...to counteract the years of gravity effects.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I'd give you more like 5 stars, great ingenuity.

I give myself a gold star for figuring something out!

Figured I would do an update on the patricians. I found out the T250 driver can't be repaired and a replacement diaphragm will probably take years to find or produce. I then began the ebay search again and I found one in November. It cost me way more then I wanted to pay. It cost me as much as the speakers. I am now in the speakers over 1500$....The most I have ever spent on equipment. I also had to remove one of the crossovers again and clean all the screws that go into the push terminals on the outside. So now they are complete again and sound fantastic. I am also told they are getting closer to completing a recone kit for the 30W's.

JBLGUY
    Great Story man ! I have 2 EV 30w's but use them in a sealed box. Just goof around with them really
    I use them in my "everything's" running system. A recone kit would be a welcome thing as I'm sure there are a few dudes needing them. They are so classic and look so cool.
    Remember they won't take a lot of watts so be careful. I usually never let mine get more than say 30 watts as the next step in DB's makes them go a bit too close to their edge of frying. I use an amp with meters for them and separate gains. They are big but delicate actually.
    I will post a pic of mine to add some extra fun to this thread
    Glad you fixed them until you can buy the kit...if ever...fingers crossed.

Bravo on your great tinkering and imagination on the repair

Quote Originally Posted by JBLGUY View Post

I have 2 EV 30w's but use them in a sealed box.
    was wondering, what size box(s) you have.

original EV literature had a few recommended sizes,

300 cf the largest.

JBLGUY
    About this big

Name:  DSCN0156.jpg
Views: 3170
Size:  81.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

EV T250 Damaged Diaphragms During shipping

Hello fellow speaker guys. I had the worst thing happen. Just received pair of T250 midhorns throught the mail. Damaged damaged damaged because of sender's bogus packing. i was sad and angry as hell. Used useless pillow casing to wrap the drivers then packed it in a flimsy thin cardboard box that couldnt handle the 30lb weight. Open box with my heart pounding seeing one side ripped and hearing the drivers hitting each other as i carried the box. Speaker taps were bent plastic broken. and who knows the damage caused internally from the drivers shifying against each other.one tests 6.1 the other tests all over the place.can anyone help me out find pair of diaphragms and who can repair and need info on best crossovers can use on them[email protected] thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Hello fellow speaker guys. I had the worst thing happen. Just received pair of T250 midhorns throught the mail. Damaged damaged damaged because of sender's bogus packing. i was sad and angry as hell. Used useless pillow casing to wrap the drivers then packed it in a flimsy thin cardboard box that couldnt handle the 30lb weight. Open box with my heart pounding seeing one side ripped and hearing the drivers hitting each other as i carried the box. Speaker taps were bent plastic broken. and who knows the damage caused internally from the drivers shifying against each other.
    one tests 6.1 the other tests all over the place.

can anyone help me out find pair of diaphragms and who can repair
    and need info on best crossovers can use on them

[email protected]

thank you
    First off, DON'T try to open them. From what I was told, when diaphragm replacements were available, they came with the top of the driver already attached. I attempted to open mind to see if I could fix it, and the diaphragm was glued to the top half and was tore as I removed it, the screw you see in the throat has to be removed before the top of the driver. diaphragm aren't available, and when they will be is anyones guess. I was told that you may be able to get a 1828 diaphragm to work, but won't be up to the original specifications. You're best bet is to contact Speaker Workshop 260-426-8742, he may be able to repair them. This is were I sent mine too. My diaphragm was bad, so he put a tag with my name on it, and told me to just leave it with him, because if or when one comes around he'll fix it for me...but he said don't hold your breath. I just let him hold onto mine, I found a replacement on ebay so it would just be sitting here being a paperweight. If you bought these on ebay or off ebay or they had insurance on them....attempt to get your money back....as they stand now...I doubt they can be repaired...It is very sad.....

JBLGUY
    "Is there no other driver that was used in other year Patricians? Use some other EV driver. 1824's were a very nice drivers. Smooth and not honky or harsh. Maybe not those originals but still EV and nice sounding drivers as well.
    There is usually nice EV drivers in pairs on Ebay.
    Try to get a refund from the seller

First off, DON'T try to open them. From what I was told, when diaphragm replacements were available, they came with the top of the driver already attached. I attempted to open mind to see if I could fix it, and the diaphragm was glued to the top half and was tore as I removed it, the screw you see in the throat has to be removed before the top of the driver. diaphragm aren't available, and when they will be is anyones guess. I was told that you may be able to get a 1828 diaphragm to work, but won't be up to the original specifications. You're best bet is to contact Speaker Workshop 260-426-8742, he may be able to repair them. This is were I sent mine too. My diaphragm was bad, so he put a tag with my name on it, and told me to just leave it with him, because if or when one comes around he'll fix it for me...but he said don't hold your breath. I just let him hold onto mine, I found a replacement on ebay so it would just be sitting here being a paperweight. If you bought these on ebay or off ebay or they had insurance on them....attempt to get your money back....as they stand now...I doubt they can be repaired...It is very sad.....

Thanks for that very useful information. Do you know the original diaphragm number for the T250?

Just some info i was told by a ev supplier. take it as grain of salt. the ev t35 and t350 diaphragms are identical. Not sure but who knows maybe hes right maybe hes wrong.

Thread Information