Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Electro-Voice Patrician 700....in the HOUSE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 10 Watt Street View Post

He is referring to the T250 midrange driver, not the 12" direct radiator.

From time to time the diaphragms for the T250 show up on eBay. Alternatively, just buy an entire working T250 on eBay.

From experience, the entire crossover and connection panel on the Patricians is a likely source of problems. The pots and spring loaded terminals need a lot of cleaning. Same at the driver terminals.
    I am going to keep an eye on ebay for a T250 as I want to get them stock, but was thinking for time being pick up a pair of t25's.

I believe the driver blowing was a result of the xover, before I picked up the speakers he said they weren't play for 5 years and were just turned on the day before...this could have sent a voltage spike to the t250. I removed the pots off the panel and cleaned them the best as possible...I couldn't figure out a way to disassemble them. Tomorrow I will order replacement capacitors. Looking at the originals they are for sure ticking time bombs and dated. Here is a photo of the xover(before pot cleaning). I also haven't cleaned the spring loaded terminals yet.

yucky

The three pots covered in crystalline oxide growth is a bad sign. The T25 driver is a less expensive driver, not directly interchangeable in an ideal situation.

Check the bad T250 with a meter directly across the terminals, it may not be the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by 10 Watt Street View Post
    The three pots covered in crystalline oxide growth is a bad sign. The T25 driver is a less expensive driver, not directly interchangeable in an ideal situation.

Check the bad T250 with a meter directly across the terminals, it may not be the culprit.
    Yep, these were in a home right across from the ocean...So I believe the saltwater spray may have helped with the growth...though I can't see in side them. Think I should replace them?

I took a vom across it, stuck the t350 lead to it and put a 9v to it and got nothing on anyof them. I then decided to open it up...bad idea...one screw had the crystals on it. I later found out that the when there was a diaphragm replacement available, that it came attach to the top piece and was installed as a unit. The diaphragm was glued in and was destoried when I open the driver. But it was doa before I opened it. I placed the vom on the coil and there was no signs of life...now I have a nice paperweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooljjay View Post
    Yep, these were in a home right across from the ocean...So I believe the saltwater spray may have helped with the growth..
    don't believe that's the case ...seems like the oxidation that we used to get on car battery terminals.

this flip ain't gonna be a quick & easy one ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Those pots are the same as used in the Electro-Voice AT37 controls. They used them on pretty much everything in those days, including the coax drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    this flip ain't gonna be a quick & easy one ?
    My god why does everyone assume I flip everything I buy Yes like most people who don't want to become hoarders, I sell off stuff when new things enter the house. I pay the bills this way so what? I am not just into selling stuff for profit. These are staying here, its going to be a project and I want to fix them. I will fix them up and use them for a some time how long I can't say, will something better come along? I can't say. If I wanted to flip them I could have numerous times because the person who I called gave my number to other callers. I am not a damn flipper...I don't want to turn this into a flipping thread, as this is for the restoration of a pair of patricians. Can we please keep this on track?

Hi:
    I recently had a pair of 1950's T350's rebuilt by Tom Calvin at the vintage Electro-voice service center. The old T350's had a complicated cardboard wafer/diaphragm combination that was a bear to align and Tom was the only one with the parts and jigs to still do it. According to Tom, they are assigned all of the really old/rare EV stuff for repair. I saw in a previous post that you had their number: 260-426-8742, so you should give them a call and see if they still repair T250's.
    As to the T350s, If yours has a white paint finish, then it probably takes one of the newer diaphragms that fit into a recess in the Tweeter cover. Any qualified shop should be able to fix these, or you can try it yourself - last time I bought one, they were about $22 from Electro-voice.
    Good luck

Okay, well I feel like I need to do something with these. So I want to upgrade the capacitors to modern caps. Need some help though. I can't figure out which are electrolytic and what are regular. I believe the 3 cardboard cover ones are electrolytic and the white are standard film? I will have to run a few in parallel. The 3 cardboard covered ones are 140 25v, 140 25v, 100 25v. The white ones are 13.28 500v, 8.3 500v, 2.84 500v, 2.84 500v...Any help, will help.

Got the crossover capacitors on the way. Got ahold of Bob Crites at critesspeakers.com. He helped me figure out the values and got all the caps together for me. Now we just have the woofers and dead mid to figure out. Then I will go see a shrink to figure out why I am working on these speakers

Talking to Bob was a good way to go.
    I'd be of -no- help in the other dept
    Nice to see that you're taking care of these
    (even if they are from EV and related to that
    K-brand )

Well I didn't win the T250 that was on the bay...I bid 560$ and lost it Guess I will try for a t25a temporary till I find a replacement. I still haven't gotten my package with the glue and sealer to try on the 30W's. I am just going to use tacky glue. I received my capacitors the other day, I installed them all today. I must say the sound now is unbelievable even though I have the 30W's disconnected and a university horn taking the place of the T250. Before there was so much high end and no low end, now the SP12B is producing sooo much bass it is just great, everything is equaling out. The capacitors I used were sonicaps and ERSE' s non polar. I recommend anyone who has a pair of these to do that, you also really really want to ensure the capacitors are up to snuff because 2 of the 4 drivers are very hard to come by. With the speaker that had the dead T250, I found two cold soldered joints, the wires weren't even soldered together. On the other speaker there was a capicator lead that broke away from one of the caps. I also saved all the capacitors, I wonder if they will bring me big bucks on the bay

Well I removed one of the 30" woofers today and the spendex won't work the original foam material is an 1/8in thick. The spandex won't hold the cone up. So now I need to figure out where to get the foam. I have a sheet of foam that I will probably use but I need a protractor/compass to make the circle. I also need to figure out a way to shim the voice coils as centering them by feel may not work. I am pondering replacing them for now with 18" ev's? I could cut a board to fit the opening and mount the 18" to that.

I spent a while with the razor blade, careful cutting to old glue off the cone, can't use solvents on styrofoam speaker cones. I found some stuff in my garage that I may use for surrounds. Its the right thickness and resembles foam but is shiny and white, and made of plastic. It looks like all the foam sheets I can find the foam is to dense and not flexible enough. Heres some pictures.

yep the cone trimming looks bad I know but I had to other way but to scrap it off.

The problem with the polyethylene foam is it tears easily. Have you tried your local yellow pages for foam fabricators. To bad you're not closer. There two local to me.

Well I called the speaker workshop again because I haven't gotten my glue/stiffener and I asked them if he can fix the T250 he said he should be able to or he may have another in stock...so I sent it off.

In the mean time I started to make my template for the surrounds, I have now decided to stay with the spandex idea. I have a hard time with circles so I opted to do a cardboard template so I wouldn't waste 5 yards of material. I actually did pretty good. Tomorrow I will start cutting material. I think this may actually work. The woofers aren't a big part of the sound reproduction circuit in the ev's, they face the back and produce sounds below a human hearing...so I imagine as long as they thump they will do their intended purpose :lol:

Thread Information