Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electro-Voice Patrician 700....in the HOUSE!!!

Electro-Voice Patrician 700....in the HOUSE!!!

Well there not JBL Hartsfield and technical their not in the house but there pretty close to it. Just had to share this find. You don't see these much...and I never thought I would find a pair. I can't wait to run some tube gear through them. They haven't been played for 5 years and they had a B&O system hooked up to them....The bass was amazing....can't wait to get them in the house. My friend decided to pose by them....hes complaining now because he insist I will be up till 4 in the morning listening to them...He may be right

More pictures, quick!

Congratulations! A very nice acquisition.

Regis
    Looking forward to hearing your listening impressions! I've always wanted to hear a pair and it'd be nice to know what to expect.

Congratulations ! I never had the opportunity to hear the EV Patricians.So I'm very interested in your assesment of them !! I think they 30" foam woofers in them,curious as to how they sound.Congrats !!!!
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Okay, I think I may have killed myself but that are in the house. Only destroyed a reel to reel, the bird cage and a few new scratches in the floor There is a chance they are to big but OMG the sound is amazing. I need to still polish the cabinets and clean the pots. One sounds brighter then the other. Heres a few photos. Now I am curious about something, the 30" styrofoam woofers appear to have a foam surround and I see cracks I didn't see them going all the way through. I have no idea what to do about that. I hear some scratching from behind one of the 30" could be a dirty pot but sitting on the couch I hear no unwanted noise...just bliss...Whats your thoughts?

Heres some much anticipated photos....these guys aren't going anywhere for a long time...my god its like moving a side by side fridge.

Word of caution...if you find a pair.....don't play classical....its quite spin chilling...

I can't make it out... how is the 30" woofer integrated in this thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    I can't make it out... how is the 30" woofer integrated in this thing?
    How do they hide things in prison? Its up the rear

Took me a while to figure it out, it points out the back and to access the speaker there are about 2 dozen screws on the bottom of each cabinet. Its a tight fit but they manage to get it in there...how they figured out the design is beyond me. The person I bought them from said he might have the original documents for them somewhere. He said when he bought the house 25 years ago, he got the papers for everything that was in it. I left him my name/number...it would be great to see original brochures and the like for them....not much on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooljjay View Post
    How do they hide things in prison? Its up the rear

Took me a while to figure it out, it points out the back and to access the speaker there are about 2 dozen screws on the bottom of each cabinet. Its a tight fit but they manage to get it in there...how they figured out the design is beyond me. The person I bought them from said he might have the original documents for them somewhere. He said when he bought the house 25 years ago, he got the papers for everything that was in it. I left him my name/number...it would be great to see original brochures and the like for them....not much on the internet.
    Ok, from the bottom, now it's clear.
    If the picture where you see it could have been zoomed out just a little I wouldn't have to ask

Thanks!

Great find, I hope you enjoy them!

Well as I feared they have now became livingroom decorations. I played them for awhile, I opened the back of one and the foam surround is shot. I have absolutely no idea how to repair them...I am at a lose

I called audivux and he says he has never heard of them having foam surrounds...hes going to do some checking...but I may be SOL...

Quote Originally Posted by Cooljjay View Post
    Well as I feared they have now became livingroom decorations. I played them for awhile, I opened the back of one and the foam surround is shot. I have absolutely no idea how to repair them...I am at a lose

I called audivux and he says he has never heard of them having foam surrounds...hes going to do some checking...but I may be SOL...

Our local recone/refoam shop has one of those 30's hanging on the wall ..unrepairable ...hope yours have better luck.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Our local recone/refoam shop has one of those 30's hanging on the wall ..unrepairable ...hope yours have better luck.
    Me too...I am going to contact EV tomorrow and ask if they can put a wanted poster in the stock room. audivux said he has placed new coils in them and at one time they had a recone kit for them....but how much will it cost? In the long run I now I will get back what ever I put into them but I just don't want to sink everything I own into them...if only I can enlarge a smaller surround.

From the Telex archives:

The 30W woofer engineering design sheet
    http://archives.telex.com/archives/E.../30W%20EDS.pdf

The Patrician 800 engineering design sheet, sharing the 30W and four way design with the 700
    http://archives.telex.com/archives/E...0800%20EDS.pdf

http://archives.telex.com/archives/E...DIY%20Manuals/
    On this page is access to a number of manuals on the Patrician IV, a four way with an 18" woofer. DIY cabinet making, assembly, the works. It is amazing what DIY guys were expected to do in those days. My father was one of them. The instructions are complete, including how do do woodwork with plywood; even hand sawing tips. They caution "The 200 cycle horn element is the most difficult part of the assembly, and most men felt it advisable to get it together first and out of the way." Look at it and you will see why!

This cabinet was designed by Roy Carlson. One Lewis Hoodwin credited "A gentleman named Klipsch" for the corner horn concept he used.

I am sorry that the 700 did not get this exhaustive treatment in the archives.

If anyone is interested, the University speaker archives are here too. I even found my EVM12L guitar amp speaker in there.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

I don't know how DIY handy you are but you may be able to fix them yourself. Measure the diameter of the cone and of the basket. This distance between the two circles is your gap. Add an inch to the gap for over lap and then add another inch for roll. The idea here is to cut a ring of foam from flat stock. When you pinch the two ends together you make a foam roll. Check your local listing for "foam supplier" or "foam fabricator".

Glue one side to the cone and let dry. Now bend the foam to create the roll and glue to the basket. This last part is very tricky, as the foam will want to straighten out. Make a ring out of cardboard or some hard material to place over the foam and use binder clips from an office supply to hold that down to get even pressure. An optional step would be to make a ring from copper or aluminum tubing to place in the gap, so when you glue to the basket it forces a uniform roll.

This won't be factory and odds are the foam supplier won't have the exact foam, but close will get you functional. Then again, now that they are "no good" and in your way, I would be kind enough to take them off your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardsweb View Post
    I don't know how DIY handy you are but you may be able to fix them yourself. Measure the diameter of the cone and of the basket. This distance between the two circles is your gap. Add an inch to the gap for over lap and then add another inch for roll. The idea here is to cut a ring of foam from flat stock. When you pinch the two ends together you make a foam roll. Check your local listing for "foam supplier" or "foam fabricator".

Glue one side to the cone and let dry. Now bend the foam to create the roll and glue to the basket. This last part is very tricky, as the foam will want to straighten out. Make a ring out of cardboard or some hard material to place over the foam and use binder clips from an office supply to hold that down to get even pressure. An optional step would be to make a ring from copper or aluminum tubing to place in the gap, so when you glue to the basket it forces a uniform roll.

This won't be factory and odds are the foam supplier won't have the exact foam, but close will get you functional. Then again, now that they are "no good" and in your way, I would be kind enough to take them off your hands.
    This is what I was thinking too. My other pondering was since these were cloth and never foam could I not just use like and artist canvas material? I don't know how to crimp it like the original, heres a photo I stole off the bay. If you look at the original the surround isn't one piece rather 6 pieces. My worry about making one from foam is that the ring may want to straighten back once on the cone. Though I could glue it to the back of the cone on the angle then attach to the basket....why does it have to be 30"

Name:  498020459_o.jpg
Views: 6412
Size:  74.6 KB

Thread Information