A very common practice in refoam world is to segment the foam edge and overlap the edges.
Not an especially pretty site but leaves you with a working unit.
I would get two 18" foams and start trimmin both foams to fit one cone.Overlap and glue.
I would also call GPA after calling EV. Maybe Bill Hanuschak could help there as they repair EV drivers too.I seen a brand new 30" EV woofer awhile back still in the box on the Bay.You don't see parts for them very often though.
"James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL
SWEET!!! I called ev and the gave me a number to the guy who does their older stuff. The place is called Speaker Workshop and the phone is 260-426-8742. He states that he is waiting on the factory to finish making the new cones/surrounds. He said they already remake the voice coils and spiders. He has 8 baskets waiting new cones himself. What he told me to do in the mean time is to go buy some spandex, cut a circle and glue it on. For 27$ he is sending me the glue and sealer. So everyone out there, the parts for the speakers are no longer unobtainium.
What a gift to be a guardian of something like that .... Nice tube amps ? ...
Congrats dude !
What a find! Congrats br other!
I have a pair (empty) of EV prototypes (?) that use the back horn-loaded design like what I see in the pics posted by the OP.
Mine were made for a 18" driver and a frontloaded 8" cone driven horn. The typical midhorn/tweeterhorn rounded out the design.
Mine had Georgian 400 crossovers before I bought the cabinets (w/out drivers and crossovers) and when I get some room will need to load them up with drivers and my own crossovers and see what happens.
I'm glad I saw this thread as these are the only EV designs that I have found with this bass horn loading.
JBL Pro for home use!
"I'm glad I saw this thread as these are the only EV designs that I have found with this bass horn loading."
On the pro side, the original Eliminator 1 was fully horn loaded with a 15" woofer. Essentially the cabinet was a variant of the Klipsch LaScala formula. EV supplied drivers to Klipsch and Klipsch supplied horn cabinet designs.
On the home side, the Cardinal was set up as a fully horn loaded corner horn, much like the Klipschorn.
Damn it....these things keep seeming to be getting worse. I figured the unmatched sound was from one woofer being more disintegrated then the other. I just pulled the grille and the t250 midrange is dead....Now how the heck to I fix that?
Speaker Services in Memphis has much experience with Patricians as they have rebuilt a set that is in their shop.Used them many times great service and honest to boot.
My 2 cents. For your mid bass driver it is unlikely that the coil is toasted from being overdriven , in a very efficient system like that hardly any power is going to that driver under normal listening conditions.
Having said that some of the crossover components might be dodgy thereby allowing more power to hit that driver. My first guess would be metal fatigue somewhere probably the lead in wires. Check the solder joints first and if that does not work try metering the coil as close as you can physically get.
If you still get nothing you have to get surgical and take the cone out , find the solvent for the adhesives and eventually get it out of the basket.. Then you can examine the coil itself.
Please remember that as it stands this driver is a goner so you have nothing to lose , just be meticulous and have patience.
FWIW I repaied a burnt Altec compression driver by re soldering the coil by pulling one turn off of the winding and doing some micro soldering. To my amazement the joint took and the driver ran fine for as long as I owned it.
Good luck there chief , thats some horny pair of speakers you got there. Some patience and research will get them back and you will feel like a king.
[QUOTE=macaroonie;318849]"My 2 cents. For your mid bass driver"
He is referring to the T250 midrange driver, not the 12" direct radiator.
From time to time the diaphragms for the T250 show up on eBay. Alternatively, just buy an entire working T250 on eBay.
From experience, the entire crossover and connection panel on the Patricians is a likely source of problems. The pots and spring loaded terminals need a lot of cleaning. Same at the driver terminals.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)