Thread: XPL Happiness

XPL Happiness

I just picked up a nice pair of XPL-90A's this weekend. If you can see the smile in the picture, it's almost as big as mine.

The only thing that would make me smile more is a DX-1 (sigh).

I've been looking for a pair for a couple years, and they just don't show up very often. Nicer still, they are piano black to match the rest of them. The one on the right looks a wood grain in the picture, but its just the gloss surface reflecting the door behind it.

Name:  XPL Smile.jpg
Views: 5453
Size:  66.3 KB
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Very nice! Looks like you have been active at looking for more XPL items. Hard to come by but it is a great addiction isn't it? Nice score.
    Erik

Regis
    They are hard to come by! You just don't see the XPL series for sale very often and that's nationwide! That is a testament to their desirability.

If the 200's had been wood veneer, they'd have been mine ....
    (tho in storage..as no more setup spots) .....
    glad somebody who could actually USE them..got them.

when your sys is all up & happy, I'd love to come hear it ...
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Nice family.

Just one member missing now...
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by kfong View Post
    Very nice! Looks like you have been active at looking for more XPL items. Hard to come by but it is a great addiction isn't it? Nice score.
    Erik
    Ever since I got the 200's I've had the bug. The first time I heard them was stunned by how great those domes sounded and how well integrated everything was.

Quote Originally Posted by Regis View Post
    They are hard to come by! You just don't see the XPL series for sale very often and that's nationwide! That is a testament to their desirability.
    It's funny, I was looking long and hard for the last few years for a pair my office. I listen to music between meetings and conference calls, about 4 hours a day, so wanted great sounding speakers. Finally decided that XPL-90's weren't going to happen any time soon then lucked into a mint pair of 18Ti's locally (listening to them as I write this). I find these just a few weeks later... and, oh yes, I'm keepin' them both

Now I'm thinking about using the 90's as a center channel and the 140's as surrounds, but it almost seems a shame to relegate them to HT duty. Then again, when my addition project is done (getting close!!!) I might use the 90's in my home office, and cobble a center out of my spare parts.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    If the 200's had been wood veneer, they'd have been mine ....
    (tho in storage..as no more setup spots) .....
    glad somebody who could actually USE them..got them.

when your sys is all up & happy, I'd love to come hear it ...
    Tom, you will be most certainly welcome, and frankly you are welcome any time! I'd really like to AB them with the 250Ti's (or was it L-250Ti's - I never get it straight ) someday, especially if I can source a DX-1 and biamp them.

Still have some work to do on the 200 with the grille on. There was cat damage to the neoprene and woofer surround/gasket when I got them. I really want to get them back to "factory fresh" condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Nice family.

Just one member missing now...
    Thanks! IIRC you have some 160's. I'd read that they had issues integrating the larger woofer to the 093Ti. What's your take on the sound? I really didn't set out to collect everything XPL, but they kind of get in your blood like Erik said above.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Paul View Post
    I'd really like to AB them with the 250Ti's (or was it L-250Ti's - I never get it straight ) someday, especially if I can source a DX-1 and biamp them.

Thanks! IIRC you have some 160's. I'd read that they had issues integrating the larger woofer to the 093Ti. What's your take on the sound? I really didn't set out to collect everything XPL, but they kind of get in your blood like Erik said above.
    Without a DX-1 it's not much of a comparison in the bottom two drivers, but I like the top two better than the 250Ti. With a DX-1, the improvement is substantial, and the 250Ti's better in the bottom end in some rooms, not so much in others. Having gone the extra mile with the PT250 experiment, neither the XPL200 nor the 250Ti keeps up, but the PT250 is a several thousand dollar upgrade.

The XPL160s are doing service as my garage system speakers, and they work well enough in there as mains, but it's hardly critical listening. They're better than 240Tis in the same space. I'd think the XPL160 is better used as a surround, or as a main with a sub, or in a small room with corner placement.
    Out.

xpl addition

BTW if you don't mind Uncle Paul, how much did the XPL 90s set you back? I may have a pair that I may get for 250 plus shipping. But they are across the country. They look to be in good shape. Just curious.
    Erik

I'd jump on $250 with the following caveats:, If they are in great shape with no driver issues; If I could trust that they would be packed properly; and shipping was not out of sight. I overpaid for mine because the seller is a friend and he is working his way through school. He threw in the weighted stands in the picture because he felt my offer was overly generous (actually decent for the stands and speakers), so I countered with a pair of L-46 and Advent Prodigies he could easily turn over. I finally wore him out and we exchanged cash and speakers.

Prices I have seen ranged between $90 in a US eBay auction and $380 for a pair in Japan with neoprene foam issues that have the unobtainable stands. Audiogon lists the average selling price at $220. I think that the lower end of pricing is due to lack of recognition. In terms of performance, I don't think that $400 for a perfect pair is out of line, especially if they have stands. If you are concerned about resale, then $250 is good.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

XPL90s

If the seller agrees to the price /dosn't back out of verbal agreement, I think the 250 is a reasonable price. If I do get them, I plan to keep them. I have the addiction really bad. I don't know what I will do with all the speakers I have but there are far worse addictions. Thanks, Erik

Thread Information