Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zappa in plush surround sound...

Zappa in plush surround sound...

Just passin it along for all those Frank fans out there. I gotta get this one !

jblnut

DTS ENTERTAINMENT RELEASES FRANK ZAPPA'S "QuAUDIOPHILIAc," FEATURING ZAPPA'S MULTI-CHANNEL SURROUND MIXES

CIRCA 1970-1978

After 30 Years, Technology Catches Up With Multi-Channel Pioneer

Agoura Hills, CA - September 10, 2004 - DTS (Digital Theater Systems, Inc.) (Nasdaq: DTSI) entertainment label, DTS Entertainment (DTSE,) announces the release of "QuAUDIOPHILIAc" by Frank Zappa. The DVD-Audio disc is an audiophile documentary featuring various multi-channel recordings and mixes produced by the composer throughout the 1970s.

These vintage mixes were culled from the Vault by Zappa Family Vaultmeister Joe Travers. At UMRK, Dweezil Zappa then constructed the sequence and produced the program now known as "QuAUDIOPHILIAc" for release. "QuAUDIOPHILIAc" debuts previously unreleased performances, both live and from the studio, of compositions such as "Rollo" and "Venusian Time Bandits," and features experimental multi-channel recordings from Zappa's basement, as early as 1970. The DVD-A includes tracks from Sheik Yerbouti, Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar and Orchestral Favorites superbly mixed in surround. "QuAUDIOPHILIAc" is licensed in cooperation with the Zappa Family Trust and FZ's Barking Pumpkin label (http://www.zappa.com). DTS Entertainment previously released the first Zappa DVD-Audio release, Halloween, in 2003.

"From his quadrophonic releases in the early '70s, through the multi-channel theatrical mix of his 1979 film Baby Snakes, Frank Zappa was a passionate advocate for surround sound," said Jeff Skillen, Vice President of DTS Entertainment. "We are proud and excited to continue our relationship with the Zappa family, and to bring these incredible, ground-breaking recordings to the world. We hope that the release of 'QuAUDIOPHILIAc' will help raise awareness of the greatness, staying power and relevance of Frank Zappa's music, as well as give the public a thrilling new surround music experience."

The "QuAUDIOPHILIAc" surround sound DVD-Audio disc includes:

- 10 recordings exclusively mixed and issued in surround, including:

- Selections from 1975 UCLA Royce Hall Concerts

- Mesmerizing live/studio hybrid musical inventions by Zappa

- High resolution DTS 96/24 surround and stereo mixes for all DVD-Video players

- Special "Surround Pioneer" presentation from the 2003 SurroundPro Awards ceremony, including video of Frank Zappa discussing advanced surround playback

- On-screen notes by Dweezil Zappa

- Complete visual discography and special photo gallery

- And a special bonus: Frank Zappa's visionary 1983 Music Industry Proposal for downloadable music (pre-dating the online phenomenon by 20-plus years)

"Frank surrounded himself in music whenever and wherever possible," said Gail Zappa. "He was always pushing the envelope of what was possible given his available tools and inventive concepts gleaned from years of experimenting with all manner of the recording experience - from the type of microphone and its placement to the waveform of the mix itself. For him, anything was possible subject only to the budget and this idea extended well beyond the studio. The only place where this restriction could not deter him was in his imagination. Having said that, Dweezil is no slouch in the studio either."

"I am continuously intrigued by Frank's music and the way he composed and recorded it," said Dweezil Zappa. "Having the opportunity to hear some of my favorite songs that were formerly in stereo but now in surround is really exciting. As he explains in the liner notes, "QuAUDIOPHILIAc" is "an interludicrous journey that we could all experience together."

Official FZ Biography: Frank Zappa, American Composer, fl. 1940-1993

Frank Zappa was a Composer, Musician, Guitarist, Record Producer, Filmmaker, Author, Bandleader, Philosopher, Social Commentator and Observer, Patriot, Humorist, Satirist, Dadaist, Absurdist. He did not write the Lord's Prayer on the head of a pin.

About DTS Entertainment

DTS Entertainment is an entertainment label that licenses, produces, and markets an expansive series of DVD-Audio and 5.1 Music Discs to millions of DTS Digital Surround enthusiasts. Currently, there are more than 100 DTS Entertainment music titles available covering a wide variety of genres, including pop/rock mega-hits such as the Eagles' "Hell Freezes Over" and Sting's "Brand New Day." For more information, please visit http://www.dtsEntertainment.com

About DTS

DTS (Digital Theater Systems, Inc.) is a digital technology company dedicated to delivering the ultimate entertainment experience. DTS decoders are in virtually every major brand of 5.1-channel surround processors, and there are 280 million DTS-licensed consumer electronics products available worldwide. A pioneer in multi-channel audio, DTS technology is in home theatre, car audio, PC and game console products, as well as 5.1 Music Discs, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio and DVD-ROM software. Additionally, DTS is featured on more than 22,000 motion picture screens worldwide. Founded in 1993, DTS is headquartered in Agoura Hills, California and has offices in the United Kingdom, Japan and China. For further information, please visit http://www.dtsonline.com/

DTS and DTS 96/24 are registered trademarks of Digital Theater Systems, Inc.

# # #

For additional information, please contact:

Andy Adelewitz at Little Big Man Publicity, 646.336.8520, [email protected]

Kristin Thomson at DTS, 818.706.3525, [email protected]

--

pentictonklaus

The vault

I fully agree ! Frank has mixed some it's stuff on JBL monitors. Here we go

Cool Zappa

My buddies in college nicknamed me Zappa, due to my long hair (yes, I had it then) and beard, and my affection for the Mothers.

Watch out where those Huskies go,
    Don't you eat that yellow snow!

This release almost justifies getting the DVD-A player finally. How to wrangel it with the GF? Hmmmm. "Win" another contest?

pentictonklaus, there's a penticton102 who's a big poster over on AVS Forums. He's a trucker, so I'm sure it's not you, but you guys are putting Penticton on the map. Welcome!
    Out.

Zappa was definitely ahead of his time with multichannel because he was thinking in terms of film soundtracks.
    Does anyone know what model JBLs he used in his home studio? 4350s?

From a magazine article about his Utility Muffin Research Kitchen (UMRK) recording studio completed in 1979:
    "The original monitoring included a soffited LCR array of three-way Westlake-style JBL monitors with two additional rear speakers - Zappa anticipated mixing film soundtracks, and quad was not yet officially dead. Near-field monitors included JBL 4311s and Auratones."
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

My all time favorite FZ is growing larger and larger as the time goes by. How is it that it is after a great composer death most people start to find out how great he was. I knew when he was alive.

Zappa I miss

So glad to here about Zappa! I don't know what to say about all this dudes...except ....he was the badest fuckin guitar player on EARTH!!
    saw him at the Berkely Community Theater in 1982 "You Are What You Is" tour , encored with "Whipping post" or maybe it was Whipping Floss...Me? ...blew my mind ...any way .....I'll get it
    Quaudiophiliac..hell yea!..... Gail, Dweezil, Moon, Ahmit ...I love you
    Tonight is 151 chased with newcastle
    phuck the world

Quote Originally Posted by mbask
    ....he was the badest fuckin guitar player on EARTH!!
    He was underrated as a guitarist. He did some searing solos when I saw him in concert, but never seemed to promote himself as a guitar virtuoso.
    I personally think that he just found solo guitar an insufficient voice for his complex musical ideas. At the same time he must have felt like many musicians do, that his best guitar performances were in front of a live audience. It was pretty much standard operating procedure for him to drop guitar solos that were recorded live into the middle of his studio recordings rather than trying to re-record and refine them in the studio.
    As strong as guitar work was live, he didn't seem to hold his playing in any higher regard than contributions by other members of the band.
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

He was a modest dude for sure. It was his nature. I used to look forward to his new releases with cash in hand

I bought FZ's book "The Real Frank Zappa Book" several years ago, and have reread it several times. He wrote it mostly to counter all the books about him that contained false information. He indicated that it wasn't a literal autobiography, but was written for entertainment value only. Entertaining it is, just as witty as his music.

Zappa Live

After three tries and three refunds, the fourth was a charm, and I was fortunate enough to witness Frank and the Mothers perform Absolutely Free at the old Federal Theater in NYC in 1970. It was like a religious experience. Indeed, as a pure guitarist, he ranks with the best, but he was so much more than simply a player.

I have been at about 6-8 concerts with FZ here in Norway from about 1972 to 1990. I was always impressed by the prescission, the good JBL sound and in my ears the extremely good music. To bad he had to leave us so early. I miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by glen
    He was underrated as a guitarist. He did some searing solos when I saw him in concert, but never seemed to promote himself as a guitar virtuoso.
    I personally think that he just found solo guitar an insufficient voice for his complex musical ideas. At the same time he must have felt like many musicians do, that his best guitar performances were in front of a live audience. It was pretty much standard operating procedure for him to drop guitar solos that were recorded live into the middle of his studio recordings rather than trying to re-record and refine them in the studio.
    As strong as guitar work was live, he didn't seem to hold his playing in any higher regard than contributions by other members of the band.
    Very well put...For Zappa...... work was work. His bands were on paid salary (working or not) by him for most of his carrier. His guitar playing was somthing he loved to do, and he knew he was exraordinary at it, yet never took himself ..or anybody ells for that matter.. too seriously. His work on the other hand, he took very seriously. For a sample of an amazing drop in (from previous live recording) guitar solo check out the Inca Roads solo from One size Fits All, it was taken from a live recording in Helsinki the year before...then added to studio mix after necessary pitch adjustments were executed by him and his engineer.....Oh the agony.....Zappa you'r a mad man . and yes ..much missed.

a big fan...

I was turned on to Zappa in the early 80's. My cousin put on Roxy and Elsewhere one night and my life was never the same . I saw him in 84 and 87 and both times were incredible - not just him, the band too. But like a shark he was always moving forard and he never indulged the fans that wanted to hear older music.

Fast forward to this year when his sons picked up the torch and decided to tour, playing only the best of the best songs from his considerable library of music. They pulled together one HELL of a band (including Vai and Terry Bozio) and put on a show that is perhaps one of the very best that I have ever seen. I've seen a lot of shows (including FZ as I said above) and Dweezil is just the coolest dude on the planet. He's got the chops but he lays back and plays it cool, with a great retro tone (he played a Gibson SG most of the night). They played for 3.5 hours and just kept playing even when the house lights came on and they were facing fines and OT from the road crew. The Boston crowd was crazy that night and couldn't get enough of them.

If you get a chance to see "Zappa plays Zappa" RUN RUN RUN RUN to see it. You'll never get a chance to hear the choice songs from the 70's played live like this by and band that would make FZ very proud of his sons.

Very proud indeed

jblnut

Here's a link for the google-challenged:

http://www.zappa.com/cheezoid/whatsnew/zpz/

Looks like the tour is done - let's all hope they do it again next year. And the year after that. and....

jblnut

Last post I promise...

They are coming back !!!!!

http://www.zappa.com/zpz/tourdates.html

Hell just check out the whole zappa.com site. It'll tell you everything you wanted to know about the tour and how amazing it was...

Who wants to meet up in NYC for the MSG Theater show on Halloween ?

jblnut

Thread Information