Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Horns

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    I am surprised more people aren't doing this. Most 3 axis CNC'c will do this stuff quite easy if you can produce a model. Making horns out of MDF would offer better sonic results than the originals if anyone wanted to make a copy. Down under there are plenty of shops that would be glad to do this sort of thing.
    The problem is that it is extremely time consuming. The less you want to sand, the longer it takes to machine as the resolution must be quite high. That's why I am doing another project with a non-industrial CNC wood work supplier. A real industrial CNC shop will charge by the hour of CNC. Basically, doing four halves (two complete sets) can take a whole day on the CNC machine. Few industrial shops are willing to block a machine for a day when they can make way more money doing kitchen cabinets... So, basically, you'd need to find a small scale shop to do it.

But I agree that using CNC makes building complex horns much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    The problem is that it is extremely time consuming. The less you want to sand, the longer it takes to machine as the resolution must be quite high. That's why I am doing another project with a non-industrial CNC wood work supplier. A real industrial CNC shop will charge by the hour of CNC. Basically, doing four halves (two complete sets) can take a whole day on the CNC machine. Few industrial shops are willing to block a machine for a day when they can make way more money doing kitchen cabinets... So, basically, you'd need to find a small scale shop to do it.

A whole day? I work on CNC routers all day everyday. Mainly on the servicing side now. If the model is done and the blanks are glued up, these horns would take 15 - 20 minutes each to machine with the correct tooling. As for sanding, it is very easy to get a finish taht would only toke a few minutes to prepare for the paint shop.

Allan.

A whole day? I work on CNC routers all day everyday. Mainly on the servicing side now. If the model is done and the blanks are glued up, these horns would take 15 - 20 minutes each to machine with the correct tooling. As for sanding, it is very easy to get a finish taht would only toke a few minutes to prepare for the paint shop.

Allan.
    Just doing one panel of my 2397 repros was 30 minutes including installation on the jig. When out of the machine, no sanding was required. I was there, I timed. Doing a bigger Iwata has much more material to remove, especially if done in two halves. Even if going in two steps (large bit with fast advance and small ball point with slow advance) it won't take less than 1h45 hours per half including setting up the "chunk of wood". Just looking at the video I posted the other day, one can see it's a slow process, where I would personally want the least sanding to avoid inaccuracies

Video - I'd consider it large steps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MFcTfjeMI0

Where I am going. Except that I will have each face of a half machined to make for a lighter horn. Which is perhaps where our differences in time estimation come from.
    http://img249.imageshack.us/slidesho...d=p8140735.jpg

Ok, Now I understand why so long. These machines are entry level and very slow. This is the type of machine I have access to. This is also a small machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJl4WgOxzW4

Allan.

If I had access to a 5-axis machine, I would probably do things differently But hey, shops with expensive machines usually charge a premium rate too. If you have the chance to actually have one at your work place, then you are a lucky SOB

Nonetheless, I am glad that people start understanding the benefits of CNC work on horns. Hopefully the days of the belt sanders are behind us

I actually work for myself. However, I have many customers with 3, 4, 5 and 6 axis machines. Chargeout rate in NZ is usually about $2-300 NZD per hour. If the tooling and programming is spot on, it makes for a very cheap project.

Allan.

I actually work for myself. However, I have many customers with 3, 4, 5 and 6 axis machines. Chargeout rate in NZ is usually about $2-300 NZD per hour. If the tooling and programming is spot on, it makes for a very cheap project.

Allan.
    If you were close by, I surely would send you some SolidWorks files.

BTW I spent two weeks in Queenstow (Southern Island) coming from Auckland, and found the area very, very nice. Too bad I didn't have time to go to Invergcargill and visit the Burt Munro museum...

A pitty NZ wasnt closer to the rest of the world. I could go into production.

Allan.

A pitty NZ wasnt closer to the rest of the world. I could go into production.
    Actually you could catter to the Asian market. Lots of audiophiles in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    A real industrial CNC shop will charge by the hour of CNC. Basically, doing four halves (two complete sets) can take a whole day on the CNC machine. Few industrial shops are willing to block a machine for a day when they can make way more money doing kitchen cabinets... So, basically, you'd need to find a small scale shop to do it.

I don't remember what our machine run time was for the Westlake and 2397 clones, but I don't think it was that long. Our machine was a 1990s vintage German model, some of the modern machines are amazingly fast... you might want to shop around.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal;317973
    Where I am going. Except that I will have each face of a half machined to make for a lighter horn. Which is perhaps where our differences in time estimation come from.
    [URL
    http://img249.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=p8140735.jpg[/URL]
    Hello,
    You made an absolutely beautiful Iwata. I made mine following the method of 'lAudiophile" which are correct but yours are perfect. Just one question: how did you made the transition from square to round at the throat ?

Jean

Hi Jean

Those are not mine. The pictures are from somebody else's project and this is the method I will use. I prefer this method of laminating wood. The horizontal lamination was fine for people using a belt sander or not including the sides. With CNC, I'd prefer the vertical lamination. To answer your question about the transition from a 2" circle to a rectangle with rounded corners, it is simple CAD morphing. Determine the initial and end shapes as well as the progression rate. The program will do the morphing.

BTW Hat off to aktvikampi for a great project. Let's stop discussing other projects than his...

Hi Lee ,

I remember doing a lot of sanding on Mats CNC h9800 ... it became a labour of love and not a money maker .... Resin cast on the other hand ..... with very little finishing by comparison . Don't give up though .

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Hi Lee ,

I remember doing a lot of sanding on Mats CNC h9800 ... it became a labour of love and not a money maker .... Resin cast on the other hand ..... with very little finishing by comparison . Don't give up though .

Rich
    Not to spoil the original purpose of this thread I will start another one in regard of casting horns in resin...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...134#post318134

Very nice job on the horns!

Thread Information