Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Richard Long's Waldorf restoration

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Hi Carl;

Will Dirac show you the phase response of your SPL measurements?

Barry.
    The Dirac Live application displays impulse and amplitude vs frequency plots. No other plots. However they tell me that phase is part of what gets analyzed by the magic code that creates the corrective filters.

Project Update

Hello all,

It has been too long since I posted to this thread. I have abandoned my tests using the Altec/ UREI duplex loudspeaker. A single driver version of this cabinet would be an interesting project for such a driver but I never found a satisfactory driver to pair the duplex with in this dual cabinet. So out comes the the duplex and back in goes a JBL 2240 driver. The test cabinet is still missing a trim board on it's face, but has received its first coat of primer and is now in touchup mode. My next step is try a JBL 2360 horn and 2446h driver combination crossed at 650Hz.

More to come ...

Name:  MVC-032S.JPG
Views: 8272
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  MVC-033S.JPG
Views: 6200
Size:  31.5 KB

That is a very formidable looking pairing. I bet it will be quite impressive!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    That is a very formidable looking pairing. I bet it will be quite impressive!

Widget
    I agree!

Yea,

I don't think it practical to build anything bigger. I have to 'muscle down' the 2360 horn, driver and bracket assembly (ie: 90 lbs) to put this beast in the garage.

If I leave the horn in place, the overall height is nearly a foot taller than the garage door opening! Geez ...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
    Yea,

I don't think it practical to build anything bigger. I have to 'muscle down' the 2360 horn, driver and bracket assembly (ie: 90 lbs) to put this beast in the garage.

If I leave the horn in place, the overall height is nearly a foot taller than the garage door opening! Geez ...
    You could lay it on it's side, with the horn lined up above the woofers. I'd want to run a huge inductor on the bottom woofer to filter the mids out of it positioned like that though, (or do it actively). Beats lifting the horn!
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    You could lay it on it's side, with the horn lined up above the woofers. I'd want to run a huge inductor on the bottom woofer to filter the mids out of it positioned like that though, (or do it actively). Beats lifting the horn!
    I tried running the cabinet on it's side and didn't like how it sounded. There was an unpleasant 'phasey coloration' that you could clearly hear as you walked back and forth in front of it. I am guessing that the wave emerging from the mouth being out of phase with that from the loudspeakers mixing in the same horizontal plane has something to do with it. In any case the cabinet sounds much better in the upright position.

Cool

I tried running the cabinet on it's side and didn't like how it sounded. There was an unpleasant 'phasey coloration' that you could clearly hear as you walked back and forth in front of it. I am guessing that the wave emerging from the mouth being out of phase with that from the loudspeakers mixing in the same horizontal plane has something to do with it. In any case the cabinet sounds much better in the upright position.
    I was getting at the same effect, just closer to the crossover frequency. The two woofers side by side will produce nulls unless they are mutually coupled, and they don't do that much above 200 Hz. Limiting one to the maximum coupling freq eliminates that.

That "phasey" effect when laid on the side can be lessened by using a pair, top to top, so the lows from the horn mouths can form a "phantom center" right where the upper freqs are radiating. (Just what you need, another pair!)

I used to use 8 of the single 15" scoops stacked like that. The bottom 4 were only driven up to 200 or so, while the top 4 went up to the XO point. Back then I would have traded my truck for a pair of those big CC horns you have. Would have had to trade it for a bigger truck in any case, as it was stuffed...
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

First Impressions

I played music thru this combination for the first time yesterday (ie: Memorial Day). I was struck immediately by the 'easy dynamics' and efficiency. This is the first time I've spent serious time around a JBL 2360 horn. It is very listenable and not at all what I had expected. And I hadn't expected it to sound as good as it did in close proximity. I plan to get much more serious and take measurements that I promise to post.

This is the first time I've spent serious time around a JBL 2360 horn. It is very listenable and not at all what I had expected. And I hadn't expected it to sound as good as it did in close proximity.
    Best Regards,Carl Huff
    They aren't perfect but they definitely don't suck.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    They aren't perfect but they definitely don't suck.
    Yes! That's a great way to describe what I heard.

My 10 year old is a rla junky

The pix of those waldorfs are cool but to stand next to them is something else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My 10 year old son is the proud owner of them now along with the single ones restoring 8 lenses now

Well here's a curious development ...

Pioneer is offering what looks to be clones of the old Richard Long dance club cabinets ...

http://pioneerproaudio.com/en/produc...gs_wave_series

Damn. You are 100% correct. And this is definitely a nice exemple of plagiarism. ;-)

They have even copied the classic JBL 2395 lens.

And no credit given anywhere to the originators. Geez ...

Thread Information